Little Dot MKIII Tube Rolling
Jul 17, 2016 at 3:48 PM Post #3,076 of 3,408
If it's actually blowing the mains fuse on switching on, I would suspect a fault with the power supply. In that case, your best course of action will probably be to return it to the manufacturer.

Jul 18, 2016 at 9:28 AM Post #3,077 of 3,408
i kinda have a weird question - im gonna 2 switches in my system - so 1 switch will direct the signal from my odac to my LDmk3 instead of my pre amp volume control for powered monitors -  and then another switch after the first swtich that will connect the MK3 line output and the odac output and wtich between.

so basically my question is: if i have swiith 1 going to my mk3 and then switch 2 has the line output "off" - is it ok to have cables coming out of my MK3 that aren't connecting anywhere or can that damage anything?

basically it will be like this:

otherwise since its an OTL amp, can i use the lineout on the mk3 and use it as a passive preamp when the amp is off? i notice i can hear sound in the headphones when the amp is off at max volume... 

Jul 22, 2016 at 5:15 PM Post #3,078 of 3,408
just curious, anybody know how to remove the volume knob on the mk3? do you just pull it straight off?  i tugged on it a bit but it didnt come off...and now im worried i broke it somehow lol - i mean its still working fine from what i can tell...just worried

Jul 22, 2016 at 6:25 PM Post #3,079 of 3,408
  just curious, anybody know how to remove the volume knob on the mk3? do you just pull it straight off?  i tugged on it a bit but it didnt come off...and now im worried i broke it somehow lol - i mean its still working fine from what i can tell...just worried

There's a screw hole  on the knob just check if its an ALLEN HEAD screw or a FLAT HEAD  screw.

Sep 2, 2016 at 7:26 AM Post #3,081 of 3,408
I'm wondering if you guys could help me with a query. I sold my LD mkiii to a friend in Macedonia. He's really very happy with it, but hasn't been able to try out the 6SN7 tubes with it yet, since I can't remember which of these two sets of adapters he's supposed to use. I bought them both around the same time, and can't remember which set I used to use - it's been a fairly long time since I used the LD. Grateful for any assistance: 

Thank you, 

Rich. 

Sep 2, 2016 at 8:28 AM Post #3,082 of 3,408
  I'm wondering if you guys could help me with a query. I sold my LD mkiii to a friend in Macedonia. He's really very happy with it, but hasn't been able to try out the 6SN7 tubes with it yet, since I can't remember which of these two sets of adapters he's supposed to use. I bought them both around the same time, and can't remember which set I used to use - it's been a fairly long time since I used the LD. Grateful for any assistance: 

Thank you, 

Rich. 

You need 6SN7 TO 6CG7 adapters 

Oct 13, 2016 at 5:31 AM Post #3,086 of 3,408
I've just replaced the volume control on my Mk III with a Chinese SMD stepped attenuator (it just fits!). The improvement is not subtle.

Oct 13, 2016 at 5:50 AM Post #3,088 of 3,408
I have yipsolon modded grados, hd700,hd600, grado 325e, and hifiman he-400s.

​From those I only have experience with the HD600's. There, I like the Mullard EF95 driver tubes in combination with the Electro Harmonix 6H30Pi Gold Pin power tubes the best.

Otherwise I also own the HD650 and have the best experience with the Voskhod 6J1P-EV driver tubes in combination with the Novosibirsk 6N6P-IR power tubes.
Last but not least, for the HD800 the El Yugoslavia 6HM5 driver tubes and Novosibirsk 6N6P-I power tubes sound very good.

At the moment I've moved on, and am using my HD800 in combination with a Nuforce HA-200. Even though it is not a tube amp, it sounds so good I haven't moved back to the Little Dot MKIII since.
I'm not (yet) at the point of selling the LDIII but maybe soon... with a lot of tubes most of which are never used (Mullard, Voshkod, Tesla, Novosibirisk, Electro Harmonix, El Yugoslavia, etc). PM me if interested. 

Oct 23, 2016 at 8:05 PM Post #3,089 of 3,408
Hi, The  EF95 Mullard in mill spec (M8100) will give you a very smooth natural and very musical sound with great bass, also the EF92 Mullard in mill spec (M8161) is, if anything even better, a cheaper alternative i've just discovered is the Philips JAN 5654w, not quite as smooth but still quite warm and has good detail and bass response, also as has been mentioned the Voskhod 6zh1p-ev, this has a slightly brighter sound signature but is very detailed throughout the frequency range and is cheap and plentifull and will last a very long time.

Oct 24, 2016 at 9:20 AM Post #3,090 of 3,408
My experience with the MK III has been very positive indeed.

7 years of almost daily use with stock power tubes & M8161 drivers totalling thousands of hours.
No noise with HD650, no sign of wearing out.

Brilliant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back