Little Dot MKIII Tube Rolling
Jun 18, 2016 at 7:26 PM Post #3,061 of 3,408
ATM i'm using stock power tubes and 1x 1975 6N23P with an adapter Mikelap had built. The tubes you can see in the pic are C3G with an adapter. They are amongst of the best tubes for the MKIII.

Jun 19, 2016 at 6:28 AM Post #3,062 of 3,408
Hi guys!
Do you recommend this amp to listen to rock music? especially from the 70s and 80s which is what I like to hear.
I have just bought a Grado SR325e from this forum and I have read that are special to be amplified.

Jun 19, 2016 at 7:06 AM Post #3,063 of 3,408
  Hi guys!
I you recommend this amp to listen to rock music, especially from the 70s and 80s which is what I like to hear.
I have just bought a Grado SR325e from this forum and I have read that are special to be amplified.

yeah this is the best tube amp out there right now. nowadays all the tube amps out there sound just like solid states, to where there's really no point in buying them when you can get an o2 for 150$ since it's literally the pinnacle of a clear and neutral solid state sound. alsoif you go buy woo's 2000$ amp it still sounds like a solid state, and then you are looking at hundreds of dollars to change those tubes and still not get the nice twangy sound of a true tube amp.

Grados are extremely sharp and fatiguing, an mk3 is really the only way to truly enjoy them. You may also be looking at the dark voice - don't get it, i tried it - the stock tubes are garbage and after you spend more money to get nicer tubes, it still isn't as good as stock mk3, and the build quality is crap and it can break or catch on fire at any given moment :/

Jun 21, 2016 at 2:09 PM Post #3,064 of 3,408
I got a nice matched pair of vintage mullard m8100s from the 60s coming my way - should be here next week... i can't wait until they come!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love my mk3 and I can definitely notice how its a lot smoother compared to a SS amp, but I'm really hoping the mullards make the music more twangy, gooey and honey filled so it becomes pure euphonic pleasure when i listen <3

Jun 22, 2016 at 4:31 PM Post #3,065 of 3,408
hey btw i figured out how to change the gain settings with the 2 switches, but how do you change the jumper settings to try different tube families? what does the jumper switch look like and how do u change it? do you have to unscrew and open it up to change the  jumper settings?  i think i see too little  holes that have little metal bits, but its so tiny theres no way i can tell if its a jumper switch or how to change it :S maybe i just wont worry about it.... if u change the jumper switch, does that mean the stock ef95 tubes wont work? i guess maybe its best to keep ef95 since they are the warmest family in general and my end goal are the mullard m8100s.... so if i change the jumper settings, will ef95 tubes stop working? what will happen? will they just not turn on or what? 

Jun 22, 2016 at 7:35 PM Post #3,066 of 3,408

There are 2 oval holes where you can see the jumper pins, there are 3 pins with a jumper cap over 2 of the pins. To switch to EF91/92 tubes, you switch the jumper cap to the other pin and the middle pin. Take note, your board might look a little different than the pic, and you need to switch the jumper for both driver tubes. Also, the pins are quite fragile, so be gentle. Or you could  just leave them alone since the EF95 family has the biggest variety of tubes to try, and some of the best sounding.

Jun 22, 2016 at 9:46 PM Post #3,067 of 3,408

There are 2 oval holes where you can see the jumper pins, there are 3 pins with a jumper cap over 2 of the pins. To switch to EF91/92 tubes, you switch the jumper cap to the other pin and the middle pin. Take note, your board might look a little different than the pic, and you need to switch the jumper for both driver tubes. Also, the pins are quite fragile, so be gentle. Or you could  just leave them alone since the EF95 family has the biggest variety of tubes to try, and some of the best sounding.

oh helllll no, i'm guaranteed to screw this up - if it ain't broke - dont fix it!!! 

Jun 22, 2016 at 10:59 PM Post #3,069 of 3,408
  question though, if u have the jumper set to ef91/92, and you put in a ef95 tube, will it still light up and work? or what will happen? 

Not good!  In the EF92 setting, Pins 5,6 & 7 are short together.  All EF95 tubes have pin 2 and 7 shorted internally.
Thus, if a EF95 tube is plugged into a socket with EF92 setting, you are shorting the Anode to the Cathode...........definitely it will cause serious damages!

On the other hand, if you plug in an EF92 tube in a socket with EF95 setting, Grid 3 (pin 7) is just left floating.  While it may not sound normally, it will not explode!

Jul 2, 2016 at 2:14 PM Post #3,070 of 3,408
So i just finished building my first turntable setup which includes this little dot amp. Playing around with my preamp, my speaker amplifiers, and my turntable's interior preamp revealed that my dot is bottlenecking the mids a bit, making vocals sound hollow. Just here to find some suggestions on what tubes I can get that might remedy this, thanks!

Jul 2, 2016 at 2:30 PM Post #3,071 of 3,408
So i just finished building my first turntable setup which includes this little dot amp. Playing around with my preamp, my speaker amplifiers, and my turntable's interior preamp revealed that my dot is bottlenecking the mids a bit, making vocals sound hollow. Just here to find some suggestions on what tubes I can get that might remedy this, thanks!

Are u using the stock tubes atm? tube amps do give a little bit smoother sound, is that what you mean by the mids being hollow? In general the #1 recommended tubes for the mk3 are the voshkod 6zh1p, though in all honesty i didn't notice a significat difference with them vs the stock GE tubes (made by RTC). I've been recently using the mullard m8100s which imo made it too dark even though i prefer a warm/dark sound.

Jul 5, 2016 at 10:11 AM Post #3,072 of 3,408
her'es a video of my ldmk3 with mullard tubes as a preamp for my monoprice studio monitors - its beautiful...a warm hug that fills the room...i cant share how they sound oin my 650shd (amazing) so just pre amp

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPFjAL29H6U

Jul 15, 2016 at 1:09 PM Post #3,073 of 3,408
Sorry for the late reply. Yeah I'm using stock tubes. Was prepared for the warmer sound. When I get a minute I'll throw a video together giving an example of what I'm hearing.
Edit: cool, my 100th post :p

Jul 16, 2016 at 7:01 PM Post #3,074 of 3,408
Hello :) i think my "power tubes" are old, and not working, because whenever i start my amp it blows a fuse. I was wondering if its the bigger or smaller. im pretty sure its smaller. I was wondering how much the sound quality would improve if i bought 'M8083 CV4014" tubes. And for the larger ones "VOSKHOD 6ZH1P-EV" tubes.

Jul 17, 2016 at 9:10 AM Post #3,075 of 3,408
  Hello :) i think my "power tubes" are old, and not working, because whenever i start my amp it blows a fuse. I was wondering if its the bigger or smaller. im pretty sure its smaller. I was wondering how much the sound quality would improve if i bought 'M8083 CV4014" tubes. And for the larger ones "VOSKHOD 6ZH1P-EV" tubes.

well the small ones are driver tubes and the large ones are power tubes. what do you mean its blowing a fuse? are all 4 lighting up? I've done quite a bit of tube rolling on the mk3, tbh i didn't notice any difference changing the power tubes, only driver tubes. I'd recommend trying to get a cheap pair of russian 6h6n power tubes (the big ones) and yeah the voskhod driver tubes are one of the most recommended, but personally i just prefer mullard. are all 4 of your tubes lighting up? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back