Little Dot Micro+ initial impressions
Apr 29, 2006 at 7:03 PM Post #46 of 432
Quote:

Originally Posted by el_monkey
Hi, I have had my Little Dot Micro+ for over three days now and enjoy it better than the PA2V2 with the three headphones that I have used with it (DT880, ETY ER6, and DT770). While less than perfect with the DT880 (highs still a little bright), it provides wonderful detail. With the ER6, I still need to use the equalizer on my portable source (Rio Carbon) to boost the bass but it provides a cleaner sound than the PA2V2. Have not used it much with the DT770 but I expect that it will be a better match than the PA2V2 since it has an overall cleaner and less dark sound. Until PINTS become readily available (and I get the M3 amp that I ordered from MisterX), the LDM+ will be my main amp.

OH!! i am VERY interested in you DT770 - ldm+ exp!!! ESP how it compares to the pa2v2, I would very much appreciate it if you were to do a comparioson between the pa2v2 vs ldm+ with the DT770

Apr 29, 2006 at 7:44 PM Post #47 of 432
el_monkey, thanks for your report. I'm impatient to receive mine, it should be imminent by now
cool.gif

Apr 30, 2006 at 3:24 AM Post #48 of 432
Ok, with respect to the DT770, the LDM+ is more precise, which is great with jazz, vocals, and old school funk (James Brown). The PA2v2 is more warm and works well with danceable music such as Salsa. However, the LDM+ is more analytical and detail oriented. Bottom line: I prefer the LDM+ over the PA2V2 as my main everday amp. Hard to go wrong for $70 delivered.

Apr 30, 2006 at 11:44 AM Post #49 of 432
Hi! Can anyone confirm the audible hiss Asr mentioned when plugged in to AC? I really consider buying this little amp and plan to use it at home for bedside use
biggrin.gif
Could anyone compare it to the shellbrook mini head signature? Thanks guys!

Apr 30, 2006 at 2:09 PM Post #50 of 432
Quote:

Originally Posted by el_monkey
Ok, with respect to the DT770, the LDM+ is more precise, which is great with jazz, vocals, and old school funk (James Brown). The PA2v2 is more warm and works well with danceable music such as Salsa. However, the LDM+ is more analytical and detail oriented. Bottom line: I prefer the LDM+ over the PA2V2 as my main everday amp. Hard to go wrong for $70 delivered.

Wow! thanks for the comparison!
basshead.gif

May 7, 2006 at 10:03 PM Post #51 of 432
got my amp in on sat, will be testing it out over the next few days, will get back with my impressions..

with one quick listen w my PMP-120 and E3's things sound more seperated than before.. again want to give it a few days listening to different material to make a good judgement..

May 7, 2006 at 10:14 PM Post #52 of 432
Mine came on Thursday and I have been testing it since. I find it to be very clean and neutral, with a decent soundstage and overall doing a very good job. It sounds very good with Ety 4 P's and the bass is clean and the highs crisp but not at all shrill or too bright. On a customer service note, I ordered the one with stock gain, but apparently they sent me a low gain model and David is going to replace it free of charge and told me to not even send back the wrong one, but just to keep it. He was extremely helpful and generous in resolving the problem.
etysmile.gif

May 7, 2006 at 10:24 PM Post #54 of 432
I would go with the high gain (that is the normal model). The lower gain one is supposed to be for IEM's that may be sensitive to hissing. The unit I have is dead quiet even at max volume, and is fine with the Ety's but is not loud enough with K 701's or Dt 880s, so I would think you would want the higher gain model, which people in this thread have said drives full size headphones very well.

May 8, 2006 at 7:17 PM Post #55 of 432
Lumanogin, I agree with vorlon1, I think that you would best off with stock gain to drive your phones.

vorlon1, did you get a black one? I ordered a black one with unity gain, but I think they may have sent one with normal gain as it is definitely a bit noisy for my E4's - maybe I got yours! LOL. I only just got the amp so am yet to check with David. Apart from that it sounds great. As GravY has mentioned earlier, it does help with separation of the sounds, which I guess is pretty cool for IEM's.

Since pictures apparently say a thousand words, here is five thousand words. I have put the amp up next to a pack of cards so that you can get an idea of its size.

Hey parrot5, re the extra resistors, I don't think it is an option as such, just didn't want to paint myself into a box that's all. Although now that I look at the board, this is not something I could do!!

May 8, 2006 at 7:56 PM Post #56 of 432
Wow, thanks for the effort. I would have paid to see the amp's interior!

(too late now)
tongue.gif

May 8, 2006 at 9:22 PM Post #57 of 432
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea
Wow, thanks for the effort. I would have paid to see the amp's interior!

(too late now)
tongue.gif

No worries - you can still pay if you really want!! LOL
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 9, 2006 at 4:37 AM Post #58 of 432
Quote:

vorlon1, did you get a black one? I ordered a black one with unity gain, but I think they may have sent one with normal gain as it is definitely a bit noisy for my E4's - maybe I got yours! LOL.

Fiery, yes I did get a black one!! That would be funny, but who knows if they were going out at the same time.
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 9, 2006 at 4:37 AM Post #59 of 432
Quote:

vorlon1, did you get a black one? I ordered a black one with unity gain, but I think they may have sent one with normal gain as it is definitely a bit noisy for my E4's - maybe I got yours! LOL.

Fiery, yes I did get a black one!! That would be funny, but who knows if they were going out at the same time.
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 9, 2006 at 1:10 PM Post #60 of 432
Well I know I said I was going to test for a few days and get back on my thoughts.. well after one day, about 9hrs of listening at work I am confident in saying I love the Micro+.

I in no way have a trained ear but I will let you know the differences the Little Dot Micro+ made for me..

First I am using a Iriver PMP-120 in conjunction with Shure E3's. My feelings of these headphones before the amp was fairly good, they were much better than anything else I had ever listened to before, yes they lacked the real punchy bass of most cheaper brands but the mids and highs are amazing. I solved alot of the bass problem by making custom foamies that give me excellent isolation, I cannot express how important this is.

Things I did notice while listening to different music, my primary music is rock/metal is that under stock power from the PMP-120 is that the mids are excellent and very pronounced, the Highs I thought were good (will get to this later) and the Bass as explained with the custom foamies is adequate and balanced.
Bass under stock power was fine and dandy until you introduced more complex sounds then it seemed to dwindle and get lost. Mids never seemed to have a problem, I would say this is the strong point of the E3's. Highs to me sounded good, not bright or over done but it too could get lost when a barage of sound was being played at once. I was in a constant EQ Adjustment to try and get things sound the best possible.

Add the Little Dot Micro+ to the mix and I thought to myself as I did when I originally started using the E3's.. WOW these sound amazing.. I honestly didnt think I was going to improve the sound quality that much with the Amp but I was very wrong and very pleased.
I had originally thought that adding the amp would help the bottom end the most but I have to say the Highs are what really shine now, they are so clear and crisp and put to shame what I thought was very good Highs I had under stock power. Mids are still about the same from what I can discearn. Bass has become stronger and I dare to say a bit deeper.
Big improvements came from the ability to now play all sounds at the same time and not experience and drop off from either the Bass or the Highs, everything comes through nice and clear. Another huge plus is that unlike the stock power the amped system is able to play great sounding music at very low levels, stock it would be flat and centered, powered gives full range and soundstage.

Soundstage, Amped opens things up like never before, music hits you from all over with the Micro+, Stock power gave me some of this but nothing close.

The only negative I can see with the Micro+ is a bit of Hiss when nothing is being played. While at work this cannot be heard, only when I was at home and things are very quiet. Once the music starts and its at the lowest setting possible the hiss cannot be heard. Volume control is another positive addition for me, with the PMP volume control being digital it jumps in steps and always seemed to be a bit too loud or soft, the Micro+ gives you a smooth analog control over the volume to suit your listening needs..

I had my gain adjusted before shipping which was here in 8 days from placing my order, short of the 10days that I was told.

Well I hope this helps some of you thinking about making this purchase, any questions please ask and I'll try to answer to the best of my abilities.

**note** im sure everyone is using many different players than I, im sure results will vary some between players.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back