List of Low/ Mid-Priced Analog Source Owners on Head-Fi
Mar 27, 2009 at 5:14 PM Post #31 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by 19lexicon78 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No,
these TT's cost less than 1000.
it's good for the people to know that the best TT's cost less than 1000 USD.

Please let me know where to find an EMT 927 for less than a $1000......PLEASE.
biggrin.gif

Mar 27, 2009 at 6:21 PM Post #32 of 70
how much did a EMT 927 cost in the 50's?

if you want to calculate the true prices, than also the other lists, aren't correct.

besides that, people need to know, how much those TT cost. so they can calculate/choose if those new TT's are the same value for the money. as the classic ones.
it's good to know the TT history.

Mar 27, 2009 at 7:22 PM Post #34 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by jilgiljongiljing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just got a Rega P1 a few weeks back and lovin every moment.

Got my P1 three weeks ago and nodded reading your recent getting into vinyl thread.
The upgrade plan to P3-24/PSU gets sidetracked a little more each day because I cant seem to keep the trigger off cheap excellent vinyl.

Mar 27, 2009 at 11:11 PM Post #35 of 70
I have an old Rega Planar 3 that sounds quite nice! I did the motor upgrade a few years ago and have found no need for further upgrades -- yet.
regular_smile .gif

Mar 28, 2009 at 5:37 PM Post #37 of 70
I've got a Rega P1, paired with the Bellari VP130 tube preamp. The sound is warm and superb. I plan to some day upgade the cartridge, but I'm still happy with this source for right now...

Mar 30, 2009 at 12:52 AM Post #38 of 70
Akai AP-103C Turntable (converted to manual) with Audio Technica 12Sa Cartridge (Shibata diamond needle).

Has a brand new belt, been completely rewired, and cleaned/lubbed.

Sounds very nice indeed.

EDIT: Did more research on the TT.

Apparently in 1978, it carried a US price of ~$250. The modern day equivalent to a bit more than $800. It also came originally with an Ortofon cartridge.
Brochure Pic:
AP-103.JPG

Someone's pic from online *not mine*
739379131_ed557357_C5CF_8.jpg

Mar 30, 2009 at 6:24 AM Post #39 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by LostChild1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, from what I understand, they're not entirely "necessary". I know some old Amps/Receivers have Phono In lines, which would eliminate the need for a Preamp...

Vinyl was cut using an equalization curve that attenuated low frequencies and boosted high frequencies. The RIAA equalization curve has been a de facto standard since ca. 1954, though many labels didn't adhere to it until much later. The RIAA curve has roll-off points at 2122 Hz, 500 Hz and 50 Hz. So we see that an inverse RIAA curve needs to be applied to the signal from the phono cartridge to arrive at the correct tonal representation of the recorded event. Whatever term one uses to refer to it, the circuit that accepts the signal from the phono cartridge must apply an inverse equalization curve, most often inverse RIAA, but it must also present the proper load to the cartridge. Frequently the load is 47k ohm and ca. 150 pF since most moving magnet cartridges are designed accordingly. But moving coil cartridge designs often require a loading of 10, 100, 500 or 1000 ohms.
So what we call a phono preamp always has circuitry that applies equalization to the signal and a proper loading of the cartridge. Behind every phono input on a receiver, preamplifier or integrated amplifier is a phono preamp circuit.
Neither moving coil nor moving magnet cartridges have sufficient voltage output to drive an amplifier adequately. So, pre-amplification of the cartridge’s signal is always necessary just to get it up to a level that can be used to drive an amplifier.
Historically there were more than 100 equalization curves in use.

Apr 2, 2009 at 9:42 AM Post #43 of 70
Technics SL-1700 MkI turntable.

(Still need a more compliant cartridge & a decent phono stage)

Apr 2, 2009 at 11:15 AM Post #44 of 70
sony wm-d6c pro walkman (tape) cost when new circa $350-400 i guess

am in the middle of restoring it, i regret selling my previous two, fantastic sound quality

Users who are viewing this thread

Back