List of High-End Digital Source Owners on Head-Fi
Jul 29, 2008 at 4:28 PM Post #226 of 281
Quote:

Originally Posted by lexnasa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think this thread is misguided in that it sets price point as the primary criterion for "high end". Of course you have to start somewhere, but for example I have a custom DAW ($3k) with RME Hammerfall DSP ($1k) which I would pit against many of the "high end" items already listed. By the same token, a vintage analogue set-up carefully put together for $1,500 may easily outperform a new-bought set-up costing $4,000+.

Of course you're right but, for the purposes of this listing, a minimum price was used as the primary parameter. Honestly, we could argue this for a while, in fact there is a thread on HF somewhere that is basically titled "what constitutes high end", and your point has been well noted. I own a source that IMO can be described as such as well, but I also understand where this thread is coming from.

Jul 29, 2008 at 9:26 PM Post #227 of 281
Put me down for the Bel Canto DAC3.
beyersmile.png

Jul 31, 2008 at 6:42 PM Post #229 of 281
Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've got my sights set on a Meridian 508.24, just as soon as the O2 Mk2 sells. So, looks like I'll be joining the club in about a month or so, maybe less.

The 5XX series Meridians are great! And there is a special synergy when paired with STAX. I'm literally waiting for my 588 to arrive any minute here,and will eventually compare it to my older 506.

Jul 31, 2008 at 6:57 PM Post #230 of 281
Quote:

Originally Posted by derekbmn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 5XX series Meridians are great! And there is a special synergy when paired with STAX. I'm literally waiting for my 588 to arrive any minute here,and will eventually compare it to my older 506.

Nice, good to hear. The rig will be 508.24 --> 717 --> O2 Mk1, with the 717 being a stand-in while I build my Blue Hawaii, which, since I haven't built anything, ever, may take some time and possibly kill me.

Jul 31, 2008 at 9:35 PM Post #231 of 281
talking about the 500 series-

Please add my cd frontend-

Meridian 500 transport $2195/
Benchmrk DAC1 pre $1575

-Paul

Aug 1, 2008 at 4:20 AM Post #232 of 281
Pacific Microsonics Model 2 converter- $14995

Aug 2, 2008 at 6:04 AM Post #235 of 281
Well I'm no taker either but I'll be another lister...the UPS guy dropped off this huge and heavy box originally from France on my doorstep. I had a hard time carrying it in the house. It's an Audio Aero Capitole SE. Supposed to be a master of redbook cds. I wouldn't know yet, I'm too frighted to open the box. Maybe tomorrow. I just bought it used for about $4,000. Current model new ones are $10,000. Here's hopin' it's what I'm hopin' for.

Aug 3, 2008 at 12:36 AM Post #237 of 281
I heard a high-end source this past week. It was the Audiomeca CD player out of a MBL power amp using a Mark-Levison pre-amp. It was a speaker setup using Piega 8 LTD piano black speakers. It could have been the 10s, I am not sure which one. These are electrostatic above 500Hz I think. The speaker cables were the Stealth Audio that has the gold wire.

Very nice, precise and detailed while being very musical.

This setup was spirited away in a home with someone not into the internet audio world; my brother's house. He is into the world of virtual baseball league though.

Aug 3, 2008 at 3:30 AM Post #238 of 281
Re: Capitole choice
I have a friend who has one and he is crazy about it. He has the same kind of musical preferences as I do and the same sense of musicality in terms of gear. The Capitole is a bit obscure in regards to name recongnition but it seems to be well regarded as a straight ahead redbook player that comes very close to getting cds to sound analog.
Have you heard one Vocheda?

Aug 3, 2008 at 4:03 AM Post #239 of 281
no. don't know much about them. but i haven't heard everything. that's for sure. once everything gets set up, make sure to post some impressions.

enjoy the new player.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 3, 2008 at 8:28 AM Post #240 of 281
Quote:

Originally Posted by derekbmn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys... Asr has decided that he will be no longer be updating this thread, so if someone could step up to the plate so to speak that would be great. I have taken over the Analog thread and reposted it and will be keeping that up to date. It really is a great resource and would hate to see it be lost.

Any takers...???

vcoheda can take over from this point if he wants to. I know he'll continue to hang out in this forum too, since he likes high-end stuff.
wink.gif

On a related note, I foresee myself upgrading from my Plinius CD-101 within the next couple years. I'll be auditioning the Ayre C-5xe within the next couple months and hope to audition the new Cary 306 Professional sometime. If I'm going to have a dynamic balanced system, I want a source that's true differential, not the cop-out that the Plinius CD-101 is.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back