List of High-End Digital Source Owners on Head-Fi
Jul 22, 2008 at 12:25 AM Post #211 of 281
Adding my 'new' vintage mint condition Linn Karik III.

Dunno if it qualifies...not sure of it's $ cost when new. Please do ignore if it aint considered high-end!

Jul 22, 2008 at 12:29 AM Post #212 of 281
Quote:

Originally Posted by screwdriver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does a naim cd3.5 and flatcap power supply make the cut ? im not sure...

Considering how long you've owned yours it must be pretty high end.

Jul 22, 2008 at 5:40 AM Post #213 of 281
Quote:

Originally Posted by steviebee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Adding my 'new' vintage mint condition Linn Karik III.

Dunno if it qualifies...not sure of it's $ cost when new. Please do ignore if it aint considered high-end!

Is the Karik only a transport? This list is for source components with a DAC in them only - and in the case of the transport/DAC combos, you'll note I've listed both. No transports alone though.
wink.gif
If you have a DAC over $2K, then I'll list that.

Edit: nvm, I found that the Karik III included a DAC.
redface.gif

Jul 28, 2008 at 6:30 AM Post #217 of 281
List updated to post #214.

Thanks to all who've posted for a very successful list, but as of now I won't be maintaining the list anymore for personal reasons. A moderator is more than welcome to take up the task from this point.

Jul 28, 2008 at 1:34 PM Post #218 of 281
I wonder, does my Hertsens Signature DAC qualify? Granted, there's no commercially available Headroom Balanced MAX dac but I can tell you this, I wouldn't part with it for less than the qualifying $2k.
smily_headphones1.gif

medium.jpg

Jul 28, 2008 at 2:59 PM Post #220 of 281
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wonder, does my Hertsens Signature DAC qualify? Granted, there's no commercially available Headroom Balanced MAX dac but I can tell you this, I wouldn't part with it for less than the qualifying $2k.
smily_headphones1.gif

medium.jpg

I spent a lot of time with this dac and I don't believe there is any question that it belongs on the list. This dac was able to compete with the then $3500 Wavelength Cosecant.

Jul 28, 2008 at 8:13 PM Post #222 of 281
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would the Monarchy NM24 be considered a high end source?

For the purposes of this listing the answer is no, given that the retail is only $1590 or so.

Jul 29, 2008 at 12:24 AM Post #223 of 281
Quote:

Originally Posted by PFKMan23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For the purposes of this listing the answer is no, given that the retail is only $1590 or so.

You are correct, the instructions are clearly stated on the 1st post.
redface.gif

Jul 29, 2008 at 4:15 PM Post #225 of 281
I think this thread is misguided in that it sets price point as the primary criterion for "high end". Of course you have to start somewhere, but for example I have a custom DAW ($3k) with RME Hammerfall DSP ($1k) which I would pit against many of the "high end" items already listed. By the same token, a vintage analogue set-up carefully put together for $1,500 may easily outperform a new-bought set-up costing $4,000+.

I have to say that since moving from analogue to digital music production I have become disillusioned and lost all interest in CD hardware... the data is the data, and provided you are able to reproduce the right data at the right time you have music. Assuming the disc transport is able to accurately read the CD, I believe most of what people hear in these things is to do with subsequent amplification... a better isolated and quieter mains supply which lowers the noise floor, fast and musical op amps etc., all of which make a difference but don't only exist in the dedicated CD player domain.

I would actually pit the optical out of an iRiver H140 playing FLACs ripped with EAC against many dedicated CD transports. So are we talking about transports, DACs or both?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back