Liquid Platinum Tube Rollers.
Jan 14, 2021 at 2:10 PM Post #1,216 of 1,808
Is there a list of trusted sellers for tubes somewhere on head-if? I remember seeing one at some point. If there is, is it being updated? I guess some people wouldn’t want to reveal their secret sources, but maybe the ones that want to share?

Jan 14, 2021 at 3:54 PM Post #1,217 of 1,808
Its hot rox.
In their defence I think they're working on reduced staffing levels at the moment due to Covid, nonetheless that should not prevent them from issuing a full refund rather than a partial one.
Today they claim to have tested the tubes and found nothing wrong with them. Now as I understand, 6922 tubes should fit within some set of electrical tolerances and if within those tolerances, the LP amp will accept them.
They initially tried to convince me to close the paypal dispute before receiving a refund from then (over a phone call), also claiming that keeping the paypal dispute open would slow things down.
They then offered me a refund minus shipping cost inside the paypal resolution centre, which I declined.
A few hours later, they have now issued a full refund.
Paypal buyer protection really does work!

Sorry to kind of hijack this thread.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2021 at 4:28 PM Post #1,218 of 1,808
They initially tried to convince me to close the paypal dispute before receiving a refund from then (over a phone call), also claiming that keeping the paypal dispute open would slow things down.
They then offered me a refund minus shipping cost inside the paypal resolution centre, which I declined.
A few hours later, they have now issued a full refund.
Paypal buyer protection really does work!

Sorry to kind of hijack this thread.
Hijacker right here folks! *just kidding.🤣
Were you using any adapters with the 6922 tubes? Socket savers?

Jan 15, 2021 at 12:10 PM Post #1,222 of 1,808
Hello guys, new to the LP, just got me a modded one, can't wait till it gets here.
Its coming with 1957 amperex bugle boy tubes. I don't know much about them but am told they are mid range focused. Exactly what I'm looking for.
I like a forward mid-range with a tamed upper mid/lower treble.
I never used tubes before, is it possible they lower details and transparency?

Jan 15, 2021 at 1:47 PM Post #1,223 of 1,808
Hello guys, new to the LP, just got me a modded one, can't wait till it gets here.
Its coming with 1957 amperex bugle boy tubes. I don't know much about them but am told they are mid range focused. Exactly what I'm looking for.
I like a forward mid-range with a tamed upper mid/lower treble.
I never used tubes before, is it possible they lower details and transparency?

Did you get Sam's? That was an awesome purchase. I was looking at that. You'll be so happy even with the tubes he included. What are you comparing to?

Jan 15, 2021 at 9:05 PM Post #1,224 of 1,808
Did you get Sam's? That was an awesome purchase. I was looking at that. You'll be so happy even with the tubes he included. What are you comparing to?
I never had tube amp to compare to, so I don't even know what the tube amp is like or what to expect.
I'm worried that I'll get what I want with a big withdraw of details and transparency.
I guess thats OK really.
What are some good amps (correction =tubes) that allow thr LP to be as transparent and clear as it can?

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2021 at 9:20 PM Post #1,225 of 1,808
I never had tube amp to compare to, so I don't even know what the tube amp is like or what to expect.
I'm worried that I'll get what I want with a big withdraw of details and transparency.
I guess thats OK really.
What are some good amps that allow thr LP to be as transparent and clear as it can?
I'm guessing you are asking what tubes that allow..............

So many great tubes you can use with the LP as is w/o any adapters! Did you happen get a pair of 6922 to 12AU7 adapters with your purchase? These would have been an upgrade from the seller, not an OEM item that came with the amp.

Jan 15, 2021 at 9:26 PM Post #1,226 of 1,808
I'm guessing you are asking what tubes that allow..............

So many great tubes you can use with the LP as is w/o any adapters! Did you happen get a pair of 6922 to 12AU7 adapters with your purchase? These would have been an upgrade from the seller, not an OEM item that came with the amp.
1957 amperex bugle boy. Is what's included.
I have no clue if those fit right in or if he has a adapter to allow. I do not know 1 thing about tubes at all, I'm just stoked to try them and hopefully it will thicken the mids for me some, really just want a set of tube sthst elevate the mids, vocals and keep the upper mids /lower treble tamed.
And
Another set of tube for maximum grandpa, clarity and details.

Jan 15, 2021 at 9:33 PM Post #1,227 of 1,808
1957 amperex bugle boy. Is what's included.
I have no clue if those fit right in or if he has a adapter to allow. I do not know 1 thing about tubes at all, I'm just stoked to try them and hopefully it will thicken the mids for me some, really just want a set of tube sthst elevate the mids, vocals and keep the upper mids /lower treble tamed.
And
Another set of tube for maximum grandpa, clarity and details.
You need to know what type of tubes they are to know if they needs adapters. 6DJ8 variants don't need adapters, if they are 12AU7 type, those need adapters.

Jan 15, 2021 at 9:38 PM Post #1,228 of 1,808
You need to know what type of tubes they are to know if they needs adapters. 6DJ8 variants don't need adapters, if they are 12AU7 type, those need adapters.
I'd have to think (?) or expect that the BB are indeed 6DJ8 / 6922 or the seller would have told @InstantSilence that he would need adpaters since these were 12AU7 Bugle Boy.

It wouldn't hurt to double check!

Jan 15, 2021 at 9:43 PM Post #1,229 of 1,808
I'd have to think (?) or expect that the BB are indeed 6DJ8 / 6922 or the seller would have told @InstantSilence that he would need adpaters since these were 12AU7 Bugle Boy.

It wouldn't hurt to double check!
So this is how they look I guess?
I've sent a pm to clarify.
Are the 12au7 ones better?
Guide my poor soul... Hah

Update, they are 6922...no adapters needed.

20210115_011028.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2021 at 9:52 PM Post #1,230 of 1,808
Cool, 6922 Bugle Boy will be A-OK w/o any adpters!

At the risk of having you wonder WHY you are going down this tube rabbit hole (it IS an addiction!!!) the tubes shown in the photo are almost certainly Raytheon 7730 that do need an adapter, but you are fine since you are NOT getting that pair. 7730's are GREAT tubes but difficult to find.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back