Linux users unite!
Nov 1, 2013 at 4:48 PM Post #271 of 481
  Debian just gave me a "noob" slap in the face for doing something too noob-like - I think the underlyings are alive and well, minimal network installs usually get rid of the gaudy trappings.
At least those usual bootstrap-installers are simple to get the hang of - stuff like FreeBSD, or ultra-convoluted bootstraps like Bedrock and Aboriginal, those got on my nerves last week, and all I wanted to do was install the former to ZFS...

They're against propagating their existence, it made a huge stink a while back, as well as them leaving Gentoo land in bad taste. Not to mention they're in a constant state of development. If you do decide to install, keep in mind that there's little to no documentation (they're working on that, but the original intent was against documentation because they wanted you to talk it out with them and help develop). So why go Exherbo? Paludis and its build system is nicely integrated, a lot of the base system started from a blank plate, their ebuilds are...well...Anyways, it's there, it's fun to try, I kept to it, you might not, who knows.

Right now, I'm waiting for Alpine to fully move onto musl, playing around with Bedrock since Sabotage insists on not working.

There are so many things in this post that I have no idea what they are... I feel like a newbie despite using Linux almost exclusively at home for 10 years
ph34r.gif

I have nothing against "guady trappings" or "user friendliness" but when you have to create a config file to add a working Windows boot entry because the real config file gets regenerated everytime you update the kernel, and the friendly autoprober generates an invalid entry, I can't help thinking something's gone wrong.  What's wrong with "kernel" and "kernel.old" symlinks and a static boot config?  At the same time you get an ever growing collection of kernels on the system - are the newbies supposed to know they have to manually remove them?  Then again maybe it's in the instructions, which I skipped... To me that seems like one of the more obvious things to automate, maybe keeping the newest 3 to ensure one will boot.

So are you going to get ostracised for advertising Exherbo or do they want more user/developers?  It's an interesting marketing strategy - everyone wants what they aren't allowed! Their installation instructions are strange though.  "We won't tell you how to do it, but please use this live CD with the alternate kernel else it wont work" - my first suggestion to them is to say what feature specifically is needed in the kernel - you can theoretically chroot from any system but does *this one* have a suitable kernel?

Having worked out that Arch didn't want to boot because I unplugged a USB stick (damn you UEFI!) I just updated everything, but cinnamon still crashes.  I'm going to play with aur and see if that will yield a better desktop, if not I'll probably give Exherbo a try over the weekend.

Edit: cinnamon now works.  Last thing I installed was gnome-menus2 from aur - do you still have your VM to test if it's all that's needed ?  Makes sense that it would crash trying to open the menu at least...

Nov 1, 2013 at 9:10 PM Post #274 of 481
Plan 9 is the best Unix around, because it's not Unix.

There are so many things in this post that I have no idea what they are... I feel like a newbie despite using Linux almost exclusively at home for 10 years
size]

I have nothing against "guady trappings" or "user friendliness" but when you have to create a config file to add a working Windows boot entry because the real config file gets regenerated everytime you update the kernel, and the friendly autoprober generates an invalid entry, I can't help thinking something's gone wrong.  What's wrong with "kernel" and "kernel.old" symlinks and a static boot config?  At the same time you get an ever growing collection of kernels on the system - are the newbies supposed to know they have to manually remove them?  Then again maybe it's in the instructions, which I skipped... To me that seems like one of the more obvious things to automate, maybe keeping the newest 3 to ensure one will boot.

So are you going to get ostracised for advertising Exherbo or do they want more user/developers?  It's an interesting marketing strategy - everyone wants what they aren't allowed! Their installation instructions are strange though.  "We won't tell you how to do it, but please use this live CD with the alternate kernel else it wont work" - my first suggestion to them is to say what feature specifically is needed in the kernel - you can theoretically chroot from any system but does *this one* have a suitable kernel?

Having worked out that Arch didn't want to boot because I unplugged a USB stick (damn you UEFI!) I just updated everything, but cinnamon still crashes.  I'm going to play with aur and see if that will yield a better desktop, if not I'll probably give Exherbo a try over the weekend.

Edit: cinnamon now works.  Last thing I installed was gnome-menus2 from aur - do you still have your VM to test if it's all that's needed ?  Makes sense that it would crash trying to open the menu at least...

Ah, making fun of me for not bothering to organize my stream-of-conscience...

If it's at all possible - I'd simply not go with GRUB. Having said that, I'm using GRUB on the desktop because rEFInd is not working as well as I'd want.
I thought there was a metapackage that purges it all automatically, not the default one, perhaps I have it confused with something else.

It's fallen out of sight to the point where I don't think people would care anymore. I mean it's not like they withheld the source or anything, it's just one of those extremely-tightknit-focused projects that doesn't anticipate much userbase expansion like plenty of other projects so they don't really bother setting that end up. I think part of it was just that when it hit the media, people couldn't grasp the change in paradigm because they've never been exposed to the little projects like this, they never realized how commonplace it had been.

Yeah, like I said, a lot of it is just talking to themselves and expecting nothing else beyond that, despite having a public website. I ended up working through most things by bumping in the dark, by myself.

Don't expect much polish or stability, it's just...well, it's just a thing to experiment with. Sometimes it's viable, but I'd never recommend it for serious long-term usage off the bat, unless you've gotten yourself into it already.

I'll try, it's all snapshoted, so...

Nov 1, 2013 at 9:18 PM Post #276 of 481
  What you like about it?
popcorn.gif

Best unix platform for networking (which Linux is based off Unix and Unix has always been a network oriented environment platform since the 60's from AT&T). Difficult learning curve for some, but once you untap it's power there are lot more things to do than what Linux distro's offer. I'd rate RedHat a close second. I'm a network oriented person so your views can vary with mine.

Nov 1, 2013 at 9:31 PM Post #277 of 481
I'd get if one would like the distribution methods, the sanier userland - but the kernel is just not as flexible and that's where it matters more to me when I do embedded stuff. Then again, I replace the utils with OpenBSD/stools, so that says something....

That being said, again, Plan 9 outdoes the network part conceptually, handily. It's just never going to be practical.

That being said, the BSDs are really meant to be an OS, from top to bottom. Silent, if you're interested, PC-BSD is like the Ubuntu to that Debian, very easy to start off with, and you'll still get to play with the things I think you had wanted to on a conceptual level.

Nov 1, 2013 at 9:39 PM Post #278 of 481
If you can get an OpenLDAP server side with client authentication setup on FreeBSD with automated batch process of creating Home directories for each new user linking it to Samba and cross-multiplatform the access to other OS's, then anything else in FreeBSD will be a simple task. 

Nov 1, 2013 at 9:52 PM Post #280 of 481
blink.gif

I just search "FreeBSD" and the results came back with a fellow looking to poke someone in the behind.
freebsd1-284x300.png

Nov 1, 2013 at 10:07 PM Post #281 of 481
I use the exact same decal on my Koss Red Devil ortho mod custom badges. Excellent find, that is a sign it is top notch, I mean the OS not the headphones, I already know they kick everythings butt..

Nov 1, 2013 at 10:17 PM Post #282 of 481
Great! November is the perfect time to harvest food, football and more knowledge. Will start skimming reading up on FreeBSD this month. The perfect complement to Egg Nog & Sweet Potato Pie!

Nov 2, 2013 at 1:07 AM Post #284 of 481
  Great! November is the perfect time to harvest food, football and more knowledge. Will start skimming reading up on FreeBSD this month. The perfect complement to Egg Nog & Sweet Potato Pie!

Start with the man <function> command for whatever you want to look up on. No need for books, every command that outlines a particular functions has it's own manual. 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back