Linux For Music
Aug 8, 2010 at 4:04 PM Post #31 of 78

Quote:
I installed linux with mint using the standard gnome. My first impressions against windows was that I find it very simple to use. I can imagine if only I never used windows before that this might actually be simpler to use especially with all the basics for reading and using most filetypes already pre-installed. Cons are the fonts in the browsers are not as clear and good looking as windows and installing files that are not already found in its software selection is hard to do. How do you install software? No install executable that can just be double clicked???

Microsoft True Type fonts

In an xterm window type
Code:
 [url=http://wiki.linuxquestions.org/wiki/Apt-get]sudo apt-get[/url] install msttcorefonts
http://wiki.linuxquestions.org/wiki/Installing_Windows_fonts

Installing software can be done via the PackageManager -or- if you know what you want to install you can just type: sudo apt-get install <whateveryouwant>

For example if you want to install Music Player Daemon just type; sudo apt-get install mpd

This works for 90%+ of the available software.

Later you might want to personalize the Linux theme to fit your personal tastes...ie MacOS theme etc.
Go to this site to find any theme you like and just load it.   http://linuxmint-art.org/

Unpack the downloaded file.

tar zxf whateverfile.tar.gz

Move the entire folder named "whateverfile" into ~/.themes

mv whateverfile ~/.themes

After that just right mouse click on the background and look under the Themes tab.

It takes a little while to get used to everything but Linux is really simple these days.

Aug 8, 2010 at 4:09 PM Post #32 of 78
The only thing I had to do is to use the uDAC as the sound card if the program needs it. I typically don't do anything different when I connect my current dac or the uDAC in the past. It's just plug in usb and press play but that's with mpd. Some other ones might need you to go to the sound settings and choose the uDAC instead.

Installing is where you do have a learning curve since there is no exe file to just double click. There are deb files which are similar but most of it is either with the terminal or some kind of package manager where you can search for a list of files you can download and then install. You can do either way terminal or package manager.

Aug 8, 2010 at 5:08 PM Post #33 of 78
When I switched to Ubuntu for music playing on an NC10 netbook, the biggest problem was finding a player that would cope with gapless and replaygain for FLAC. After trying many I settled on mpd / gmpc, which works a treat. Rhythmbox was OK as well. I couldn't find anything to rival EAC for ripping, so still rip under Windows.

Aug 8, 2010 at 5:12 PM Post #34 of 78

Quote:
When I switched to Ubuntu for music playing on an NC10 netbook, the biggest problem was finding a player that would cope with gapless and replaygain for FLAC. After trying many I settled on mpd / gmpc, which works a treat. Rhythmbox was OK as well. I couldn't find anything to rival EAC for ripping, so still rip under Windows.

FYI you can rip using dbpoweramp via Wine in Linux

Aug 8, 2010 at 9:33 PM Post #36 of 78
Dynobot so to get me started I'll try installing deadbeef. I am using linux mint 9 x64 using gnome so which package should I download exactly? Can you post the exact link? so now after extracting whatever I download, I just type sudo apt-get install deadbeef on a console? It will automatically just find it?

Aug 8, 2010 at 9:39 PM Post #37 of 78
Ubuntu Studio? It would seem that this particular distro of Linux should fit your needs. Great to see a Linux related thread! My operating system of choice, for choice, for free.

Aug 8, 2010 at 9:46 PM Post #38 of 78

Quote:
Dynobot so to get me started I'll try installing deadbeef. I am using linux mint 9 x64 using gnome so which package should I download exactly? Can you post the exact link? so now after extracting whatever I download, I just type sudo apt-get install deadbeef on a console? It will automatically just find it?

Go to an xterm window and copy/paste this line and hit return

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:alexey-smirnov/deadbeef

Then do
sudo apt-get update

Next go to PackageManager and type dead in the search window and scroll until you find it and the plugins. Select them and hit Mark for Installation, then Apply

Done

http://deadbeef.sourceforge.net/

PS look in DeadBeefs help to configure Album art view

Aug 9, 2010 at 12:10 AM Post #39 of 78
Thanks! I'll try that. Ok now i'm using deadbeef. Now my problem is if it reads embedded artwork. By the way, I havent confirmed if it is placebo or not but I find alsa sounds better than pulseaudio.

Aug 9, 2010 at 12:51 AM Post #40 of 78
By the way the fonts were all installed and I'm still not getting exactly the same thing as i see on my windows browser. The fonts here seem smaller and its also a different font. hmmm

Aug 9, 2010 at 8:21 AM Post #41 of 78

Quote:
Thanks! I'll try that. Ok now i'm using deadbeef. Now my problem is if it reads embedded artwork. By the way, I havent confirmed if it is placebo or not but I find alsa sounds better than pulseaudio.

Nope, most people feel that ALSA sounds better than Pulseaudio, in fact many people try to remove Pulseaudio all together.

Aug 9, 2010 at 8:57 PM Post #42 of 78

Quote:

Are you ready to try Music Player Daemon?

The whole process should not take more than 15 min...

Aug 9, 2010 at 9:17 PM Post #44 of 78

Quote:
sure i'll try that soon but as of now I need a good combination of a useable playlist interface and good sound.

The great thing about MPD is that there are a number of clients [GUIs] that have a variety of different formats for playlists, album art etc.  You just find the one that suites you and go with it.  There is even a Firefox interface....all the while you have the same player that goes site unseen.  Also because of its unique nature you can even control it fully from any computer on your home network via the IP address.  It all works flawlessly.  I can control the small computer I have loaded with MPD from any computer in the house including my iTouch.  View playlists, album art etc. etc. using Firefox or any of the clients.

See this link of all the clients...look under GTK+
http://mpd.wikia.com/wiki/Clients

Check out Firefox addons Minion for the Firefox MPD client
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/6324/

Aug 9, 2010 at 9:44 PM Post #45 of 78
nice! When I try that I'll let you know. I'm sure my almost total lack of knowledge of the linux console is going to make me ask many questions. Or I just may need a super idiot guide with step by step instructions including how to skin it LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back