Linux For Music
Oct 26, 2010 at 2:35 AM Post #76 of 78

Yea I am not too bugged about it, I just wanted to test it out for the music server I plan on making.  For one I wanted to know if my prelude would be as good a transport it is in Linux as it is in Windows but chances are I would just use a USB transport.  Standard driver, fully supported, and for all intents of purposes bit-perfect.

The hardware itself is tested to work smoothly on the platform I want it for, unlike this platform which is built for gaming.
Quote:
Yes, I thought 10.10 was a little shaky compared to 10.04.
My experience with alsa is limited to envy24 so I can't help with your x-fi issues.
I am familiar with Lubuntu and feel it's a very lean and fast distro.
Just my opinion but I see no reason to use an X-fi sound card unless you are playing games in Windows, it's just too proprietary for other purposes.
If you want to play music in Linux I recommend a card that uses the ICE1712 or ICE1724 drivers. They are well documented and well supported.

Oct 26, 2010 at 2:46 AM Post #77 of 78
So for this music server, are you planning to use an internal DAC or an external DAC?
I have some experience with mpd (music player daemon) and find it very nice, ok but a bit gnarly to understand and setup.

Oct 26, 2010 at 5:45 AM Post #78 of 78
External, which is why I am using a transport(USB on my current DAC is locked @ 16/48 and spdif is better).  I was planning on setting up MPD and control it remotely through my windows PC.  Though that is the plan for now I might make it more remote control based some time down the line especially if I can get it running with one of those sexy remotes that have a LCD on them.  As said I will probably just grab a USB transport like the Audio GD DI. 

Setup isn't much an issue for me,  and all the problems I am currently having are probably caused by some of my hardware not playing nice with Linux.  The other with updating Alsa, I haven't even a clue.  Screen just stays black so its not like I even have command line access and if if I did keyboard locks up
wink.gif
.  I haven't messed with linux for a while so it probably will take a few mistakes even though things have been greatly simplified.

Regardless its going to be exciting creating a completely solid state headless machine.  Especially for when I get real speakers one day, the silence will be perfect.  Then all I need to do is kill the sound on the dang fridge and lay down cricket traps at night.

Quote:
So for this music server, are you planning to use an internal DAC or an external DAC?
I have some experience with mpd (music player daemon) and find it very nice, ok but a bit gnarly to understand and setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back