Light Harmonic Geek Wave
Jul 11, 2014 at 11:46 PM Post #511 of 5,933
I have decided not to get involved at all... I can wait until the product becomes commercially available and if the prices are a bit higher i don't care. At least the product will exist. There will be reviews to read and units to demo. In the mean time i can just enjoy my AK240. By the time the Geek Waves exist i will have had more than a year out of the AK so if it turns out the Wave is a better sounding player it will be no pain at all to sell and change. 

Jul 11, 2014 at 11:48 PM Post #512 of 5,933
The Geek Wave Ultimate has me intrigued:

Geek Wave Ultimate
MSRP: $3999
Campaign Price: $2799
The ultimate portable audio player features everything from the Geek Wave XD 128 plus it can decode DSD256 files and has a docking station to turn it into a powerful music server for your home stereo.

1. 128 GB of internal storage.
  2. SDXC extension port (up to an additional 128GB).
  3. 450 mW output power.
  4. Native DSD256 capable.
  5. Standalone DAC capability.
  6. Dual mono design.
  7. Extended battery life.
  8. Balanced headphone output.
  9. Line level output.
  10. Digital audio output (S/PDIF)
  11. Femto clock upgrade included.

Jul 11, 2014 at 11:48 PM Post #513 of 5,933
  I have decided not to get involved at all... I can wait until the product becomes commercially available and if the prices are a bit higher i don't care. At least the product will exist. There will be reviews to read and units to demo. In the mean time i can just enjoy my AK240. By the time the Geek Waves exist i will have had more than a year out of the AK so if it turns out the Wave is a better sounding player it will be no pain at all to sell and change. 

That's what I should have done. Buyer's (or backer's) remorse is already creeping into my mind.

Jul 11, 2014 at 11:49 PM Post #514 of 5,933

Really?  meh, yes some concerns are warranted. The hypocrisy in calling the Wave a "milking" device form one who purchased a $2500 DAP is undeniable, 

Hmmmm. that makes zero sense and is certainly not undeniable. I bought the unit after careful consideration and trying out plenty of DAPs which is difficult to do when you live in the remotest capital city in the world.

Anyway... Out 

Jul 11, 2014 at 11:54 PM Post #515 of 5,933
Geek Wave Ultimate is going heads on against AK240...
Unfortunately at that time Ak480 will or will not take its crown...
Exciting...

Jul 12, 2014 at 12:11 AM Post #517 of 5,933
Yeah, that's true ^ - their competitors will have nearly a year to outflank the Geek Wave and they conveniently have a map of what LH intend to do with it.

Jul 12, 2014 at 12:35 AM Post #519 of 5,933
  The Geek Wave Ultimate has me intrigued:

Geek Wave Ultimate
MSRP: $3999
Campaign Price: $2799
The ultimate portable audio player features everything from the Geek Wave XD 128 plus it can decode DSD256 files and has a docking station to turn it into a powerful music server for your home stereo.

1. 128 GB of internal storage.
  2. SDXC extension port (up to an additional 128GB).
  3. 450 mW output power.
  4. Native DSD256 capable.
  5. Standalone DAC capability.
  6. Dual mono design.
  7. Extended battery life.
  8. Balanced headphone output.
  9. Line level output.
  10. Digital audio output (S/PDIF)
  11. Femto clock upgrade included.

Yep, that has been absorbed into and bypassed by the XD128. As every unit can run DSD and all you need is 'station x' for the 'docking' perk...

Not to mention the countless 'perks' that have been added now to all of the units:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1iRoALJn63KwiQS6FqDp86yUwWxOsI-41T05EODmmM8s/edit#gid=0

Jul 12, 2014 at 12:42 AM Post #520 of 5,933

Yep, that has been absorbed into and bypassed by the XD128. As every unit can run DSD and all you need is 'station x' for the 'docking' perk...

Not to mention the countless 'perks' that have been added now to all of the units:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1iRoALJn63KwiQS6FqDp86yUwWxOsI-41T05EODmmM8s/edit#gid=0

Wait, you mean the Geek Wave Ultimate has been discontinued and now the Geek Wave XD 128 will be the top model?

Any relevant links and images are appreciated.

I just noticed that you're getting the Geek Source - sweet! I kind of want the Light Harmonic Da Vinci Source.

Jul 12, 2014 at 12:46 AM Post #521 of 5,933

Agreed, there's really nothing special about the Ultimate anymore. Larry has already mentioned he's working on DSD256 playback but since there's no standard for it currently he can't complete the firmware necessary. But he says it should just be an update once it's finished. And the dock can be had with any Wave regardless of level. And now if you really want to put it to the AK240 the XD comes in optional carbon fiber. I'm assuming that's just a 3M or similar vinyl cover. If the Wave is actually made from CF, I'll get it. If not, I'll pass. I can make my own CF stickers.

Jul 12, 2014 at 10:51 AM Post #523 of 5,933

Agreed, there's really nothing special about the Ultimate anymore. Larry has already mentioned he's working on DSD256 playback but since there's no standard for it currently he can't complete the firmware necessary. But he says it should just be an update once it's finished. And the dock can be had with any Wave regardless of level. And now if you really want to put it to the AK240 the XD comes in optional carbon fiber. I'm assuming that's just a 3M or similar vinyl cover. If the Wave is actually made from CF, I'll get it. If not, I'll pass. I can make my own CF stickers.

Hey Axel, deathson posted a blub from Larry saying that the back cover will be real CF and real Titanium, not a film covering.

Jul 12, 2014 at 1:00 PM Post #524 of 5,933
I'll be satisfied with the Geek Wave 32 + standalone DAC + dual ESS DACs.

I wish I had taken a conservative approach like you did....should be a nice upgrade over a J3 at a low price point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back