Light Harmonic Geek Wave
Jul 7, 2014 at 10:54 PM Post #451 of 5,933
A portable dap not being optimized for sensitive iems is silly on its face. I still think it will be worth it in the long run, but I won't be going all in - it's too expensive for my budget. I think
a really good dap can be had in the $600 - $700 range. GW64 + dual dacs + femto clocks + usb dac functionality + iem perk (which will become a gain switch if they hit 1 mill) is
looking pretty good to me. I don't need the extra storage since it'll have 2 micro sd slots on top of the 64 built in and I can live without balanced ho.

Jul 7, 2014 at 10:57 PM Post #452 of 5,933
At what price points though?  base wave is 167 + iem 128 = $295, DSD playback capability...not bad.

oh wow why yes of course it's a super deal to pay freaking 176% of what wave32 backers intended to pay so we can get the... oh wait for it.. the No-compromise Portable Music Player to work with IEMs.... :wink:

Jul 8, 2014 at 12:50 AM Post #454 of 5,933
Doublea71 and others,

How much benefit do you think the IEM upgrade will offer the GW 64?; my impression (which could be completely wrong) was that the biggest issue with sensitive IEMs was going to be with the higher powered models (128, X128 and XD128).  Right now, I am going for the GW X128 with dual DACs and I'm just hoping that Larry Ho and the LHlabs crew have enough integrity to build a unit that will get past my "non-audiophile" ears...Although I would love to be able to afford the fully maxed out XD-128; I'm not sure what I would do with it when I got it (in terms of getting all the benefits for what I paid).  I figure that the GW X128 with dual DACs is a complete upgrade for me (compared to what I currently have), so I will be extremely happy if I ultimately get a high quality DAP that can play high resolution music formats.  I can only imagine what kind of fiasco this thread might look like in the next 9-12 (?) months when all these units start shipping out....

Jul 8, 2014 at 1:40 AM Post #455 of 5,933
  Doublea71 and others,

How much benefit do you think the IEM upgrade will offer the GW 64?; my impression (which could be completely wrong) was that the biggest issue with sensitive IEMs was going to be with the higher powered models (128, X128 and XD128).  Right now, I am going for the GW X128 with dual DACs and I'm just hoping that Larry Ho and the LHlabs crew have enough integrity to build a unit that will get past my "non-audiophile" ears...Although I would love to be able to afford the fully maxed out XD-128; I'm not sure what I would do with it when I got it (in terms of getting all the benefits for what I paid).  I figure that the GW X128 with dual DACs is a complete upgrade for me (compared to what I currently have), so I will be extremely happy if I ultimately get a high quality DAP that can play high resolution music formats.  I can only imagine what kind of fiasco this thread might look like in the next 9-12 (?) months when all these units start shipping out....

I honestly don't know - there are some extremely knowledgeable guys in the forums regarding amps and dacs, and I'm not one of them. I'd venture to guess that the GW64 would be fine without the upgrade, but you're better off asking someone with a higher pay grade than me. 

Jul 8, 2014 at 1:55 AM Post #456 of 5,933
At what price points though?  base wave is 167 + iem 128 = $295, DSD playback capability...not bad.

But is it really necessary for the base 32g model to get the iem package? I would imagine the higher end models might need it for sensitive iems, but difference between 32g model and iem package output powers doesn't seem a lot.
My reference points against Wave will be Galaxy S3, Sansa Clip and iPod Nano 7g, so it would be a shame to come out disappointed because of audible hiss with iems.

Jul 8, 2014 at 3:59 AM Post #457 of 5,933
was ready to put in the money...
then sandtrapped with the options, 
held back a day..to consider my goals..
more addons...waited another week, 
looked myself in the mirror just now.. hehe :p

Jul 8, 2014 at 4:24 AM Post #458 of 5,933
  was ready to put in the money...
then sandtrapped with the options, 
held back a day..to consider my goals..
more addons...waited another week, 
looked myself in the mirror just now.. hehe :p

Yup...That's me too.

Jul 8, 2014 at 11:32 AM Post #460 of 5,933
But is it really necessary for the base 32g model to get the iem package? I would imagine the higher end models might need it for sensitive iems, but difference between 32g model and iem package output powers doesn't seem a lot.
My reference points against Wave will be Galaxy S3, Sansa Clip and iPod Nano 7g, so it would be a shame to come out disappointed because of audible hiss with iems.

Yeah, I don't think the IEM package is all that necessary on the base model....It already has lower output.  On the X and XD models it may be more of a concern though.

Jul 8, 2014 at 11:56 AM Post #461 of 5,933
  Yeah, I don't think the IEM package is all that necessary on the base model....It already has lower output.  On the X and XD models it may be more of a concern though.

It's not about the output power. It's also the DC offset. Switching out the TPA6120A2 as the output buffer for something else will lower DC offset. Even with the $999,999 goal reached, I think Larry will go away from the TPA6120A2 for all models, use a buffer, and just bias the voltage gain opamp for voltage gain that way for the models that have the IEM package.

Jul 8, 2014 at 12:25 PM Post #462 of 5,933

As thirdman mentioned, the lower power of the 32 should mitigate the need for the IEM package. However, given that, I would recommend the THD upgrade instead to help with the SNR.

Jul 8, 2014 at 8:03 PM Post #463 of 5,933
I sorry I guess I don't find it complicated at all.  But I have been their from the start so I probably have a better understanding of how things evolved.  To each his own.
You are among the rare ones to find it simple and are obviously on the payroll (or very very helpful) so allow me to LOL on that statement.

Jul 8, 2014 at 8:18 PM Post #464 of 5,933
You are among the rare ones to find it simple and are obviously on the payroll (or very very helpful) so allow me to LOL on that statement.

On the payroll, I wish but no.  Because I have been in this campaign from the start and followed along in the geek forum actively as stated, I suppose I have an understanding of how things evolved.  I do see how it could be confusing if you have just stepped in to the campaign.  If you need some help sorting things out, join the geek forum and ask some questions, their is no shortage of support. Heck, you could ask questions here, their are plenty active in the campaign that are on this forum that are more than willing to help out.  Hope you enjoyed your chuckle:)

This doc is very informative, and concise.  If you have trouble understanding it, ask a question.  Perhaps we can clear the water a bit.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1iRoALJn63KwiQS6FqDp86yUwWxOsI-41T05EODmmM8s/edit#gid=0

Cheers

Jul 8, 2014 at 9:44 PM Post #465 of 5,933
MOM upgrade and SISTER upgrades are coming... and it just got rebooted again for another 24 days of new ideas to come!

LOL you were close
Friends and Family Deal

Discounts! Discounts! Discounts! If you've pledged for a Geek Wave 64/128/X128 or XD128 , we're releasing a discounted perk allowing the purchase of additional Geek Wave 64's or XD128's from now until the end of the campaign in four days.

This discounted perk IS NOT retroactive, meaning if you've already purchased multiple Geek Wave's you can not apply this discount retroactively toward them. This is simply a final stretch incentive to spread the gift of no compromise portable audio meet the 999,999 stretch goal that they will be so surprised to reach.

Once again, this perk is only available for backers that have already pledged for a Geek Wave 64/128/X2128 and XD128. We will be listing this perk in the campaign as Friends & Family 64 and Friends & Family XD128.

In a few days they'll probably introduce two more additional perks to add more hay to the haystack.

So pretty much yup
Our goal is to release one or more new perks per day for the rest of the campaign allowing you to capture the best deals and outfit your Geek Wave with the geekiest of the geeky requests.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back