Light Harmonic Geek Out EM/1000 Impressions Thread
May 11, 2014 at 7:52 AM Post #541 of 2,322
Off Topic.

Those interested in the Geek Out's antecedents might want to take a look at Scott Hul's review in The Absolute Sound of the Light Harmonic Da Vicni DAC .

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/light-harmonic-da-vinci-digital-to-analog-converter/?utm_campaign=Newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_source=email-247

May 11, 2014 at 8:03 AM Post #542 of 2,322
I'm thinking of getting a MacBook Air 11" to use with my GO1000 and my not-so-difficult-to-drive cans like HD600, HE-400, D2000 etc. And for DSD using Audirvana+. Does anyone have experience with such a set up? I'm not sure if the MacBook Air has sufficient juice. Thanks.

May 11, 2014 at 10:44 AM Post #543 of 2,322
I'm thinking of getting a MacBook Air 11" to use with my GO1000 and my not-so-difficult-to-drive cans like HD600, HE-400, D2000 etc. And for DSD using Audirvana+. Does anyone have experience with such a set up? I'm not sure if the MacBook Air has sufficient juice. Thanks.

It it doesn't supply enough juice and if you have, or will be getting, a split USB cable, like the LHLABS 2G, you could get a battery or relatively cheap LPS to supply the power.

May 11, 2014 at 10:56 AM Post #545 of 2,322
It it doesn't supply enough juice and if you have, or will be getting, a split USB cable, like the LHLABS 2G, you could get a battery or relatively cheap LPS to supply the power.

What if I upgraded my purchase to a MacBook Pro instead?

May 11, 2014 at 11:01 AM Post #546 of 2,322
What if I upgraded my purchase to a MacBook Pro instead?

The MBP is great, no issues and you also get an ethernet connection should you decide to do a NAS or some sort of streaming solution later. 

Maybe one of the smarter people can comment what is going on inside the Air..fewer battery cells in series, so less voltage?
Lighter/smaller battery cell so less current? Pint sized system bus that isn't up to snuff?

May 11, 2014 at 12:29 PM Post #547 of 2,322
The MBP is great, no issues and you also get an ethernet connection should you decide to do a NAS or some sort of streaming solution later. 

Maybe one of the smarter people can comment what is going on inside the Air..fewer battery cells in series, so less voltage?
Lighter/smaller battery cell so less current? Pint sized system bus that isn't up to snuff?

Actually the MBPr no longer have an ethernet. You'll need a thunderbolt or USB to ethernet connection in order to hard wire. The non-retina line was the last to have wired ethernet as standard. Can't say anything about the Air, and my Geek hasn't come in yet so I can't say how it works with my slightly older MBP.

May 12, 2014 at 7:33 PM Post #548 of 2,322

I ran one off the USB port of an 11" MBA for close to an hour on Saturday.  No worries.  Just keep an oven mitt handy for when it's time to handle the GO; that sucker gets seriously hot.  (FWIW, I absolutely loved it with UERMs, but I'm getting a 450 because I want to use it with an iPad).

May 13, 2014 at 6:07 AM Post #550 of 2,322
I don't know what happened. But this is what is going on right now with my Galaxy Note 3 (Android 4.4.2)....

Stock Player, Neutron MP outputs 48K only. UARP depends on source material (DXD is DXD, 192k is 192k)

May 13, 2014 at 6:36 AM Post #552 of 2,322
And Its a GO1000

May 13, 2014 at 5:26 PM Post #553 of 2,322
So this is unexpected—I'm enjoying the most thrilling sound reproduction through headphones I've heard, ever! The music is going through MBP->Audirvana+->GO720->AT W3000ANV. It sounds way, way better than my big system, which involves a MDHT Havana NOS DAC with a 1949 Western Electric military tube and Donald North's Sonett 2 triode amp with a NOS Mullard rectifier. Does the GO sound better than all that tube equipment?  Well, no, not really. The reason I'm loving the music so much is... DSD!  I  honestly can't believe it. I had no friggin idea that digital can do this. I've heard CD-resolution digital on all kinds of crazy expensive DACs, and it has never been able to engage me. And I've never been entirely convinced by hi-rez PCM (24/96, 24/192): I thought it sounded a little better, but wasn't sure.  I have a great speaker system (Garrard 301+ Shindo + Tannoy) and 3000 LPs, and honestly was about to give up on the headphone hobby, thinking I needed even more expensive headphones and amplification to pull me into listening. It turns out the problem was the digital source. The tiny GO, playing DSD, has shown me this. The SACD rips and DSD files I've been listening to have made me as excited to listen as the very best vinyl. Maybe more. And it's much less temperamental. I just wish there were more DSD files. If you haven't tried DSD, it may just knock you on your ass, like it did me.

May 13, 2014 at 6:09 PM Post #554 of 2,322
Why not plug it in (GO720 playing DSD) to your big system and see what happens.. ^_^ 

MBP->Audirvana+->GO720->Donald North's Sonett 2 triode amp-> (Garrard 301+ Shindo + Tannoy)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back