Light Harmonic Geek Out EM/1000 Impressions Thread
Apr 1, 2014 at 9:30 PM Post #122 of 2,322

I'll say if I didn't already have a 1000 of my own coming I'd buy it.

I almost jumped on it myself, but I don't need a 1000.  My 450 (whenever it arrives) will already be more power than I need (wish I knew they were going to do an IEM specific one earlier).

Apr 1, 2014 at 9:43 PM Post #123 of 2,322
  The first couple reviews seem to show it is worth it.  Beating out a Microstreamer and holding its own with a Herus is a very good start.

A couple good reviews and one for sale by owner after being used once.  That's not a great percentage. 
wink.gif

I'm not trying to rain on anybody's parade, I'm just trying to keep a cool head amidst the hype and look at it objectively.  I strongly suspect that I'll be kicking myself when more and more units hit the streets, but I think holding off is the right decision FOR ME right now.  YMMV. 
biggrin.gif

Apr 1, 2014 at 10:08 PM Post #125 of 2,322
That's true. From the current asking price though, $200 for a $300 device isn't too shabby.

Every item on Amazon has a high price crossed out and a low price next to it.  It's called price anchoring and it's a psychological trick to make you think you are getting a better deal than you are.  The value of an item has nothing to do with its MSRP.  In time, we'll know if $200 is a steal for the buyer or the seller.

Remember, the $250 Audioquest Dragonfly 1.0 is now $99 (60% cheaper).  Is the price now REALLY good or was the price then REALLY bad?

Sorry, maybe I'm just in a depressing mood.  But it seems really difficult to determine the value of the device when it's not widely in use yet.

EDIT - Just to clarify, I don't mean to rain on anybody's parade.  If you think it's totally worth it, by all means go for it.  Hopefully you can post some thorough impressions for the rest of us. 
biggrin.gif

Apr 1, 2014 at 11:31 PM Post #126 of 2,322
Amazon usually doesn't have a 33% markdown price on a just-released product though. Maybe in a year or two they will, but not right when it's first launched. The DragonFly 1.0 was released how long ago again?

Besides, if Amazon did do that, the backers and people who paid $199 for the Geek 450 would be seriously pissed off and boycott Light Harmonic for scamming. XD

Apr 1, 2014 at 11:50 PM Post #127 of 2,322
  I almost jumped on it myself, but I don't need a 1000.  My 450 (whenever it arrives) will already be more power than I need (wish I knew they were going to do an IEM specific one earlier).

It's something they decided to do only recently, after comments that the 1000 was way too powerful for IEM and that the 450 may still be too strong. I believe that's why they're sending out the test units before proceeding; not because they're unsure if it will work properly but rather they're unsure that it will be well received by the community who primarily use IEMs.

Apr 2, 2014 at 12:07 AM Post #128 of 2,322
  A couple good reviews and one for sale by owner after being used once.  That's not a great percentage. 
wink.gif

I'm not trying to rain on anybody's parade, I'm just trying to keep a cool head amidst the hype and look at it objectively.  I strongly suspect that I'll be kicking myself when more and more units hit the streets, but I think holding off is the right decision FOR ME right now.  YMMV. 
biggrin.gif

Interesting conversation. I looked at the referenced for-sale ad that was posted here. The given reason for the sale is that the seller decided to go with a Cipher Theorem portable DAC instead, because he can use it with his iPod. (The Geek Out 1000 draws too much current for an iPod.) The MSRP for the Cipher Theorem is $899 and you can find it selling for $799 on Amazon, so I think using that ad to infer very much about the quality of the Geek Out relative to its price is a stretch.

PS - I'm not at all trying to question the decision you made for yourself.  I'm a big advocate for caution - maybe too much so.

Apr 3, 2014 at 4:01 AM Post #130 of 2,322

How so?

The worry was that people were adjusting volume on the GO, then if the computer changed volume the GO went back to max volume and completely blasted the ears of whoever was listening. This was recreated on the GO 1000 by multiple people. So by reducing the power output there's a lower dB level coming from the headphones if that occurs, saving your hearing.

Apr 3, 2014 at 4:12 AM Post #131 of 2,322
  The worry was that people were adjusting volume on the GO, then if the computer changed volume the GO went back to max volume and completely blasted the ears of whoever was listening. This was recreated on the GO 1000 by multiple people. So by reducing the power output there's a lower dB level coming from the headphones if that occurs, saving your hearing.

Egads!
eek.gif
 This issue needs to be addressed! I'm currently using a DACport Pro without such problems. I went with a GO 1000 with the understanding it could be used safely with both headphones and earphones. 
mad.gif

Apr 3, 2014 at 9:29 AM Post #132 of 2,322

Also you basically have no play on the volume as well, right?  Wouldn't you be losing quite a few bits digitally attenuating the sound?  That was my understanding through earlier inquiries.  You can't listen to power hungry headphones and sensitive IEMs out of the same amp without proper gain control, which the GEEK Out doesn't have. 

Apr 3, 2014 at 2:08 PM Post #134 of 2,322
  Also you basically have no play on the volume as well, right?  Wouldn't you be losing quite a few bits digitally attenuating the sound?  That was my understanding through earlier inquiries.  You can't listen to power hungry headphones and sensitive IEMs out of the same amp without proper gain control, which the GEEK Out doesn't have. 

Yeah, since there's a limited set number of steps on the GO, the 1000 won't give you much range of use with sensitive headphones. I don't have mine yet, but I would think only a couple before it gets too loud. And since the GO resets each time the system volume changes, you'll blast your ears.

Do you know if that happens both when adjusting the computer's system volume, and/or an application volume such as the volume control in JRMC19?

So far I think I've only seen people make mention of this phenomenon as it relates to system volume, as in that of the OS, but not necessarily an application's own volume.

I have no first hand experience just yet, but I will in the next couple of weeks. But if I remember correctly from the reports other owners have given, that it only resets based on system volume changes. Individual applications are independent and shouldn't have an effect on the GO's settings. Again, that's what I understand but can't confirm just yet.

Apr 3, 2014 at 2:14 PM Post #135 of 2,322
Yeah it's just that the DAC play at whatever volume is selected whenever you connect your DAC. So, if your computer is set at  max then the DAC would play at max. If wouldn't play quieter because you had turned it down on the DAC previously. I'm receiving my unit today so I can confirm.

I will remind everyone that is is trivial to set a max volume in Audirvana, FooBar, or JRMC. You can set it at -3,-6, or -9dB on only lose 1,2, or 3 bird respectively. The DAC is 32 bit, so losing a bit or two. I'll mostly be using it into an integrated amp but might run it at 2v output by lowing the output by 1 bit. I'll need to test this and decide later on.

The 1000 model is made for big inefficient head phones like the Audeze, where the 450 makes more sense for more typical headphones. You can make the 1000 run similar to a 450 but turning it down 1 bit, however, and I doubt that makes much difference.

It just arrived...time to go! ^^

Users who are viewing this thread

Back