LH Labs Verb IEM Impressions Thread
Mar 19, 2015 at 3:51 AM Post #61 of 308
Hi my name is Michael I am interested in buying some good headphones, I have looked at many different brands but I'll use listen to my iPhone so I had to discard several options as sennheiser HD 650 and several of this range for what i want've seen many forums aimed at the sennheiser momentum ivory 2 wireless but really the style I do not like it I have 20 years and I listen to music whit bass or moved ( salsa,reggae,rap,electronic) and only sometimes a little ballad or songs with more acute, I wonder if I can advise some not matter much the price I liked quite the B&O H8 and also pleasing me sennheiser Urbanite XL wireless and ATH - m50x or I can use the sennheiser HD Dj8 have tod me they are very good but I don't know so much potential can them on a iPhone or Mac whit advise me or if any better have good bass and clear sound for music I listen ? Thank you very much

Mar 19, 2015 at 10:37 AM Post #62 of 308
I dislike them enough that i am willing to mail my verb to anyone who has a Xuma and is willing to do this.

It sounds like i am in a bathroom with a subwoofer.

If this sounds as expected it explains why they claim they cant hear any hiss with geek out when used with sensitive iems.

If enough people agree to chip in a few dollars to cover half of your losses, would that convince you to bust out a dremel and open those puppies up? I'd be willing to do this...my curiosity is piqued.

Mar 19, 2015 at 12:40 PM Post #63 of 308
  So got a pair of the mysterious Xuma's from B&H. As you can see below the look of the units and even the box type are the same for the Verbs and Xuma's (e.g. same panel and magnet design for the box). Only difference on the exterior of the phones themselves is the color of the plug (black for the Xumas versus silver for the Verbs). Looks like some vendor's got some "splanin" to do!

Got them right before I left for a business trip so didn't have time to play with them much and forgot to bring them with me (so I had to suffer listening to my K10's
etysmile.gif
). Will do some listening comparisons and then possibly crack them open for deeper investigation, although I guess that means I'd have to crack open a pair of Verbs as well to really see how their guts compare. Will have to ponder if it's worth destroying two sets of earphones...

Damn, even the packaging is practically identical.

Mar 19, 2015 at 12:41 PM Post #64 of 308
Hi my name is Michael I am interested in buying some good headphones, I have looked at many different brands but I'll use listen to my iPhone so I had to discard several options as sennheiser HD 650 and several of this range for what i want've seen many forums aimed at the sennheiser momentum ivory 2 wireless but really the style I do not like it I have 20 years and I listen to music whit bass or moved ( salsa,reggae,rap,electronic) and only sometimes a little ballad or songs with more acute, I wonder if I can advise some not matter much the price I liked quite the B&O H8 and also pleasing me sennheiser Urbanite XL wireless and ATH - m50x or I can use the sennheiser HD Dj8 have tod me they are very good but I don't know so much potential can them on a iPhone or Mac whit advise me or if any better have good bass and clear sound for music I listen ? Thank you very much

You probably want to post in a different (or new) topic, as this one is about the Verb IEM.

Mar 19, 2015 at 2:12 PM Post #65 of 308
nudd, you hit the nail on the head!  Fart cannon in the bathroom 
basshead.gif

Quote:
I dislike them enough that i am willing to mail my verb to anyone who has a Xuma and is willing to do this.

It sounds like i am in a bathroom with a subwoofer.

If this sounds as expected it explains why they claim they cant hear any hiss with geek out when used with sensitive iems.

Mar 19, 2015 at 9:43 PM Post #66 of 308
Another Verb purchaser here; didn't get mine till a bit later since I'm in Canada. Backed the Pulse and Wave, so figured I'd grab this. 

Will give it a bit more listen - build quality seems good for the price range. But the sound, not looking that good. I honestly thought it would be something akin to the RE400 (they way they were described), but these seem to have a warm mid bass focus. Might be worth $60 MSRP, at most I think. 

My current favs, the ZA Carbo Tenore I picked up @ $39 or so walk all over this - better balance. There's a whole bunch of IEMs in the sub $100 bracket that are better imo (ones I own that come to mind are the Wooduo2, VSD3S). The closest thing I have that sounds similar to the Verb are Meelectronic's M-Duo - dual driver units that are dark sounding. 

I guess some burn-in might help, but I don't think these are that balanced. Interesting find with the Xuma . 

Mar 20, 2015 at 2:35 AM Post #67 of 308
I don't see how Xuma stole LH Labs Verbs design as they claim, if you look a bit further :
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/audio/tips-and-solution/stick-it-your-ear-guide-ear-headphones

this article was published 2 years ago which also mentioned the Xuma IEMs.

And further reading the reviews on the IEMs, you can see them dated as far back as in 2009.
Therefore IMO, LH Labs outsourced the production of their Verbs to the same factory which manufactured the Xuma. Whether the internals are the same... only mscott58 can tell us 
biggrin.gif

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/514081-REG/Xuma_SEP10_58_SEP_10_In_Ear_Stereo_Earphones.html

Mar 20, 2015 at 8:59 AM Post #68 of 308
Damn, even the packaging is practically identical.

I got a pair of the Xumas as well. As you say pretty much identical other that the color of the splitter and shell of the TRRS connector. I spent only about 20 minutes going back and forth between them and one set of the Verbs. I found them to sound very very close. If not identical.

Also, my verbs fell apart on one side. The black part with the nozzle separated from the rear part of the shell. While I didn't have great light nor magnification...and I didn't want to damage them.. It looks like the driver is in the part that separated. That piece tapers towards the nozzle. I measured that part about where the driver is. It was just under 9mm. With the thickness of the plastic and support structure in there, I don't see how the Xumas could possibly have an 8 mm driver in them. I think they lie in their description.

BTW, I was pretty disappointed that the Verb fell apart after maybe an hour of use. I was just taking them out to swap with the Xuma... it came apart easily...and I had to dig the nozzle part out of my ear... carefully to not damage the wires. This would have been very easy to do.. rendering them useless. If I had removed it like I see many do by just grabbing the wire and pulling, I am sure I would have destroyed it. $159 list... I just can't see it! Probably the $25 that the Xuma goes for is closer to the real value.

Oh, to save my $40... I super glued the shell back together... it still works ok! For the people that have the Verb, treat them gently and keep a tube of super glue handy!:mad:

Mar 20, 2015 at 9:37 AM Post #69 of 308
Thanks for the brief comparison, mandrake50.

It would be interesting, of someone could measure them.
I'm only going to receive the Verbs, but a friend can measure them, I'll have to see if I can get my hands on the Xuma.

The Verbs aren't shipped yet... although based on the reviews I don't want them anymore...

Mar 20, 2015 at 11:19 AM Post #70 of 308
Reviews of the verb has been getting really worrisome to me. Especially when mine isn't here yet! :frowning2:

Has there been any comments regarding this from LH labs thus far? If there isn't, would it be possible for @chartwell85 to provide us some comments? Not to pin-point him but he's the only person from LH labs who seems to be active on head-fi.

To casey, thanks in advance if you are able to provide some insight from lh labs!

Mar 20, 2015 at 12:13 PM Post #71 of 308
I was under the impression that LH designed the Verbs from the ground up, but maybe I misinterpreted what I read. These do look nearly identical to the Verbs and they are at least 5 years old. PR disaster?

Mar 20, 2015 at 12:19 PM Post #72 of 308
I'm thinking it would be in lh labs best interest to dispel this myth, purchase the Xuma for $25, open them up and prove to us that they are different.
I'm betting they can't.

Mar 20, 2015 at 12:31 PM Post #73 of 308
I'm thinking it would be in lh labs best interest to dispel this myth, purchase the Xuma for $25, open them up and prove to us that they are different.
I'm betting they can't.

It's a good idea, but I think there's a member who is already planning on doing this. I sincerely hope they aren't about to get caught with their pants down.

Mar 20, 2015 at 12:44 PM Post #74 of 308
Yeah I knew that, I was just pointing out how easy and advantageous it would be for lh labs to ablige, but feel their seeming lack of interest is telling. The only response has been parroting the apparent differences in specs as advertised, not very convincing.

It's a good idea, but I think there's a member who is already planning on doing this. I sincerely hope they aren't about to get caught with their pants down.

Mar 20, 2015 at 3:30 PM Post #75 of 308
The Chinese thread here does a very good job of finding OEM suppliers for rebranded items. The Xuma and Verb seem to be sourced from a Korean manufacturer and rebranded. There is very little chance that the Verb is LH Labs' creation. There may be tweaks at best, but doubtful.

See if you see the manufacturer name in the small print on the back of the box, or instructions manual.

Releasing the Verb was a poor decision IMO. LH sells audiophile quality equipment of their own creation, yet they introduce a poor quality, outsourced, barely consumer level product that doesn't differentiate itself from other thousands of IEMS in any way, then they charge almost double the price over a similar rebrand? Kill it now before it brings impressions of the company down any further.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back