LH Labs Verb IEM Impressions Thread
Mar 18, 2015 at 4:17 PM Post #46 of 308
I sent my pair back to LH for review after posting my impressions here previously. Here's the response for those that are interested:

"I just received the Verb earbuds you sent back.  I've tested them with a variety of my personal favorite tracks as well as compared them to my Verb earbuds.  They're up to par for my taste and sound the exact same as my pair."

Mar 18, 2015 at 5:58 PM Post #47 of 308
OK, had to do a little sanity check, changed tips on the VERBS to JVC Spirals, took out my iPad and connected Denon DA-10, which I've just recently received and not that familiar with, but wanted to check it out. Went to TIDAL, Grateful Dead "Uncle John's Band", a track I know inside and out. Ouch...back to that muddy, bass heavy sound. When I listened to it last, I used my Pono, which tends to be open, detailed (some say a bit low in bass, I find it OK). Played the same track, this time hi-rez/HDTracks version, know what? Much better, more detail, more open, vocals better. Still, not quite there...I took out another recent acquisition, Dunu Titan 1, think it is in the same ballpark list price as the VERBS. Well, The Titans KILLED the VERBS. More clarity, detail, space, with better delineation of the vocals and instruments, made the VERBS sound muddy again. Have to say a Mea Culpa here, for $30 some odd bucks they're not bad, but if you were spending around the mid $100's, the Titan 1 would be my recommendation, hands down.
:xf_eek:

Mar 18, 2015 at 7:10 PM Post #48 of 308
Yeah when I signed up for these I was expecting something on the level of the Titans, not $25 Xuma, that's what makes them so disappointing. I recently purchased some Scosche dynamic iems for $10 shipped that blows the verbs out of the water.

Mar 18, 2015 at 8:27 PM Post #49 of 308
  I sent my pair back to LH for review after posting my impressions here previously. Here's the response for those that are interested:

"I just received the Verb earbuds you sent back.  I've tested them with a variety of my personal favorite tracks as well as compared them to my Verb earbuds.  They're up to par for my taste and sound the exact same as my pair."

That isn't very encouraging...

Mar 18, 2015 at 9:53 PM Post #51 of 308
Being crowd funded, ya pays yer money, ya takes yer chances!

Mar 18, 2015 at 10:57 PM Post #52 of 308
Being crowd funded, ya pays yer money, ya takes yer chances!

No doubt about that! Its the risk that comes with all crowd funding.

I guess the disappointment from those who didn't like the Verb is due to LH claims that the verbs were superb, especially for its price range! Doubly so when LH labs have had good products which was quite well liked.

Now I suddenly cant wait to receive mine, if only to see if its really that bad though. 
blink.gif

Mar 18, 2015 at 11:12 PM Post #53 of 308
  No doubt about that! Its the risk that comes with all crowd funding.

I guess the disappointment from those who didn't like the Verb is due to LH claims that the verbs were superb, especially for its price range! Doubly so when LH labs have had good products which was quite well liked.

Now I suddenly cant wait to receive mine, if only to see if its really that bad though. 
blink.gif

If mine isn't defective like I believe it is, it is very bad. It's the first LH Labs product I dislike. The GO1000 and LPS I have are great.

Mar 18, 2015 at 11:36 PM Post #56 of 308
I have the Geek Out 1K and the Special Edition, they both sound great (especially the SE), so this is a bit of a disappointment, have to say...

Mar 19, 2015 at 12:15 AM Post #57 of 308
They should stick to their area of expertise instead of unnecessary sideshows like this or offer a package deal with an iem manufacturer with a proven track record. I think they probably got hosed by the OEM in this case, so it may not be entirely their fault.

Mar 19, 2015 at 12:25 AM Post #58 of 308
So got a pair of the mysterious Xuma's from B&H. As you can see below the look of the units and even the box type are the same for the Verbs and Xuma's (e.g. same panel and magnet design for the box). Only difference on the exterior of the phones themselves is the color of the plug (black for the Xumas versus silver for the Verbs). Looks like some vendor's got some "splanin" to do!

Got them right before I left for a business trip so didn't have time to play with them much and forgot to bring them with me (so I had to suffer listening to my K10's
etysmile.gif
). Will do some listening comparisons and then possibly crack them open for deeper investigation, although I guess that means I'd have to crack open a pair of Verbs as well to really see how their guts compare. Will have to ponder if it's worth destroying two sets of earphones...

Mar 19, 2015 at 12:29 AM Post #59 of 308
  So got a pair of the mysterious Xuma's from B&H. As you can see below the look of the units and even the box are the exact same (e.g. same panel and magnet design). Only difference on the phones themselves is the color of the plug (black for the Xumas versus silver for the Verbs). Got them right before I left for a business trip so didn't have time to play with them much and forgot to bring them with me (so I had to suffer listening to my K10's
etysmile.gif
). Will do some listening comparisons and then possibly crack them open for deeper investigation, although I guess that means I'd have to crack open a pair of Verbs as well to really see how their guts compare. Will have to ponder if it's worth destroying two sets of earphones...

If enough people agree to chip in a few dollars to cover half of your losses, would that convince you to bust out a dremel and open those puppies up? I'd be willing to do this...my curiosity is piqued.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back