LH Labs Geek Out v2+ Discussion Thread
Jan 12, 2017 at 4:41 AM Post #1,621 of 2,040
Hi every one,

I just bought a GOV2 infinity + at sonvideo.com in france (i am french).
Il was a exposition model so i was wondering of the version oh the model.
It has the nice case but when i plug it to my Imac, it is written 1.0...

To what i have read on this thread, the latest one is the 1.5 and is really better ( better SE output is the main thing if i understood well).
Do you agree with this?
I supposed that a firware upgrade (if it is possible, i wait the reponse of LH) will not enhanced the SE output.
I am wondering this because i have 10 day left to take it back ans i would like to have the better one.
I mean i love the way it sound but for the price i wouldlike the better one...

Thank you very much if somebody can help me...

Charles.

Jan 12, 2017 at 8:45 AM Post #1,622 of 2,040
  Hi every one,

I just bought a GOV2 infinity + at sonvideo.com in france (i am french).
Il was a exposition model so i was wondering of the version oh the model.
It has the nice case but when i plug it to my Imac, it is written 1.0...

To what i have read on this thread, the latest one is the 1.5 and is really better ( better SE output is the main thing if i understood well).
Do you agree with this?
I supposed that a firware upgrade (if it is possible, i wait the reponse of LH) will not enhanced the SE output.
I am wondering this because i have 10 day left to take it back ans i would like to have the better one.
I mean i love the way it sound but for the price i wouldlike the better one...

Thank you very much if somebody can help me...

Charles.

Hello Charles,

Unfortunately, you cannot upgrade the firmware from a Mac.  You would need access to a Windows PC to do so.  See below:

https://support.lhlabs.com/support/solutions/articles/5000680852-geek-out-v2-firmware

*** IMPORTANT NOTE ***

As of this writing (October 18, 2015), the Geek Out V2+ firmware can only be upgraded from a Windows computer that has the Light Harmonic Audio Driver installed. The Light Harmonic DFU utility is installed on the computer as part of that process.

The Light Harmonic DFU utility for Mac is currently in development, but because of operational issues beyond our control, it is currently not available for distribution.

Jan 12, 2017 at 11:18 AM Post #1,623 of 2,040
Thx for your answer.

I saw this and it is the reason why i asked for LHL to give me the maj of the firmwire (they ask this for the infinity, donno why...).
But the thing that i realy whant to know, it is if this simple firware update will permit to my GOV2 inf + to be at the same level of the ones sales actually which are with the 1.5.
In other words, the difference is just software (and then the maj will suffise)? Or the diffrence is software AND hardware (then the maj will not change a lot of things....)?

Does somebody know?

THX,

Charles.

Jan 14, 2017 at 2:01 AM Post #1,625 of 2,040
  Thx for your answer.

I saw this and it is the reason why i asked for LHL to give me the maj of the firmwire (they ask this for the infinity, donno why...).
But the thing that i realy whant to know, it is if this simple firware update will permit to my GOV2 inf + to be at the same level of the ones sales actually which are with the 1.5.
In other words, the difference is just software (and then the maj will suffise)? Or the diffrence is software AND hardware (then the maj will not change a lot of things....)?

Does somebody know?

THX,

Charles.

If it has that infinity logo on the top left front and it is an aluminium chassis instead of the old plastic one like the one shown on lh labs page, it is the latest revision with upgraded components.

http://lhlabs.com/products/geek-out-v2-plus-dac-family/

No idea why your firmware is still 1.0. I thought all the latest revision came with 1.5.

Jan 14, 2017 at 3:44 AM Post #1,626 of 2,040
Humm yes it is all like this but it seems (to what i recently read) that before The last version with new caps ans after the plastic version, they produced a version whith The new case but whith the sames components Than the plastic version...
Pretty sure i have this one...
The question is now to know if lh can replace mine and upgrade it...
May be they did it to others customers but i cant find...
thx to your help

Jan 14, 2017 at 3:50 AM Post #1,627 of 2,040
Humm yes it is all like this but it seems (to what i recently read) that before The last version with new caps ans after the plastic version, they produced a version whith The new case but whith the sames components Than the plastic version...
thx to your help

Um...get your hands on a Windows computer and upgrade the firmware? It's very simple mate...you might have to wait ages if you turn yours in for a replacement.

Jan 14, 2017 at 4:36 AM Post #1,628 of 2,040
Hmm...
thx to your help

Hmm.... Was the upgrade not related to an "old" V2/Infinity to the "new" GO2A models?
Even they would upgrade your V2+ I'm not quite sure if this - from a money perspective - is a good decision.

You need to deal with shipping costs in both directions (since you're in Europe, right?, you might ship to their customer service in Germany [in case they still have it] or directly to the US). Then the costs for the upgrade.

But maybe I'm mistaken and even this approach is "cheaper" then buying it from after market places (here or somewhere else). Drop them a ticket and find out:wink:

Jan 14, 2017 at 6:08 AM Post #1,630 of 2,040
Hmm...
Hmm.... Was the upgrade not related to an "old" V2/Infinity to the "new" GO2A models?
Even they would upgrade your V2+ I'm not quite sure if this - from a money perspective - is a good decision.

You need to deal with shipping costs in both directions (since you're in Europe, right?, you might ship to their customer service in Germany [in case they still have it] or directly to the US). Then the costs for the upgrade.

But maybe I'm mistaken and even this approach is "cheaper" then buying it from after market places (here or somewhere else). Drop them a ticket and find out:wink:

You are Right The only officiel upgrade was for The go2a.
But i dont know, i dont understand, a lot of peoples had the 3 versions... may be just testers...
May be i will return it for free at sonvideo (yes in France) and take a mojo^^

Jan 14, 2017 at 8:51 AM Post #1,634 of 2,040
There have been three versions of the GOV2+ that got out to the public, and I've had all three

Version 1 = All 3D printed black plastic chassis 
Version 2 = Aluminum front and back plate with 3D printed black plastic frame/edges (you can tell this one as the plastic has thiose 3D printed lines in it. 
Version 3 = Aluminum front and back plate with injection molded black plastic frame/edges - this is the final and current version

The Infinity versions have the lemniscate (infinity symbol) in the corner. 

As far as I know, there were no significant electronics changes across the versions of the V2+ Inf. The GOV2A was upgrading some of the electronics of the GOV2, but this did not apply to the V2+. 

Cheers 

Jan 14, 2017 at 8:59 AM Post #1,635 of 2,040
  There have been three versions of the GOV2+ that got out to the public, and I've had all three

Version 1 = All 3D printed black plastic chassis 
Version 2 = Aluminum front and back plate with 3D printed black plastic frame/edges (you can tell this one as the plastic has thiose 3D printed lines in it. 
Version 3 = Aluminum front and back plate with injection molded black plastic frame/edges - this is the final and current version

The Infinity versions have the lemniscate (infinity symbol) in the corner. 

As far as I know, there were no significant electronics changes across the versions of the V2+ Inf. The GOV2A was upgrading some of the electronics of the GOV2, but this did not apply to the V2+. 

Cheers 

Thank you. You can tell from this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ap7KKFmgl0 that this is the one with 3d printed plastic edges as you can see the lines like you said.
This one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLW34umEiBk you can't see the lines which is the current version.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back