LH Labs Geek Out v2 Discussion Thread
Sep 13, 2015 at 5:28 AM Post #512 of 1,391
  Anyone have an apogee groove to compare the gov2 against?

I have both as well.
I cannot say that I've settled on either though. They both have their strengths, but I'm waiting for a third option 
rolleyes.gif

At the moment, I think the V2 is far more detailed, has the gain option and uses voltage (not current drive), thus it more easily drives a wider variety of headphones.

Sep 13, 2015 at 11:59 AM Post #513 of 1,391
Driver feature idea, how about a check mark for "start gov2 at 1000mw" and another checkmark for "default to FRM filter"?  for people who prefer that

Sep 13, 2015 at 3:12 PM Post #514 of 1,391

I have both at the moment. Am about to sleep now but I can compare them tmr using the AkG K612 pro. What would you like to know?

I'm curious to know the basics. Like, which ones has better sound separation, does one or the other bring forward more lows and mids? I think they are both supposed to be very versatile dac/amps but oddly I've heard the groove not driving lower impedance cans as well as the higher impedance cans. And any other differences you feel worth noting :) Thanks!

Sep 13, 2015 at 3:16 PM Post #515 of 1,391

I'm curious to know the basics. Like, which ones has better sound separation, does one or the other bring forward more lows and mids? I think they are both supposed to be very versatile dac/amps but oddly I've heard the groove not driving lower impedance cans as well as the higher impedance cans. And any other differences you feel worth noting :) Thanks!

Would like to know the same. Also, if you think one more colored.

Sep 13, 2015 at 3:18 PM Post #516 of 1,391
  I have both as well.
I cannot say that I've settled on either though. They both have their strengths, but I'm waiting for a third option 
rolleyes.gif

At the moment, I think the V2 is far more detailed, has the gain option and uses voltage (not current drive), thus it more easily drives a wider variety of headphones.

Thanks! I seen your reply in the other thread as well 
L3000.gif

Sep 14, 2015 at 5:05 AM Post #517 of 1,391
Anyone using gov2 with wyrd and have jriver?  It seems like it glitches more often when I play this 1812 overture flac and use 100% volume..

https://www.dropbox.com/s/st500c2nilagq6t/Screenshot%202015-09-13%2022.53.58.png?dl=0
Peter Ilyich Tchaikovsky - Erich Kunzel - Cincinnati Pops Orchestra - Tchaikovsky  1812 Overture (Hybrid SACD).flac
 if you have that song can you try playing it with 100% volume and let me know if your gov2 glitches?  It usually seems to happen when I'm using the wyrd with gov2. Doesn't always happen in jriver or with this song but this song seems to make it more likely

edit: tentative theory is too much power or overheating due to 100% volume and high gain from wyrd.. and the laptop usb port doesn't give usb full 500ma so that artificially restricts how much power it can use and it doesn't glitch out.. notice the error windows 10 gives in the bottom right corner of screenshot

Sep 14, 2015 at 8:31 AM Post #518 of 1,391
^ I had a similar issue with Audirvana+ and a specific FLAC album playing into my HRT microStreamer. If I switched to any other player, there were no issues. If I switched, while still running A+, to any other album in my collection - again, no problems. The best I could do to duplicate would be to run PonoWorld Music player, which as I understand it is a derivative of JRiver. But I don't have that specific track on anything that isn't round and spins. I already have enough copies of 1812 
rolleyes.gif

Sep 17, 2015 at 8:45 PM Post #519 of 1,391
Rocking the GOV2 right now with my HE1000's. Absolutely awesome. It is such a great solution for being in a different room of the house than my big set up with my laptop. I can now chill out in the basement and have almost as good sound as in my bedroom. As long as this thing doesn't screw up, I am a BIG fan. 

Sep 20, 2015 at 2:16 PM Post #520 of 1,391
Anyone order a Geek Out V2 recently?  I ordered one after a ticket with Gina said that the V2 was ready to ship, and the order page said only V2+ was on backorder.  I ordered it and sent a ticket as to why it's not shipping, and I got an answer of back order of several weeks.  Kind of peeved...

Sep 20, 2015 at 2:48 PM Post #521 of 1,391
  Anyone order a Geek Out V2 recently?  I ordered one after a ticket with Gina said that the V2 was ready to ship, and the order page said only V2+ was on backorder.  I ordered it and sent a ticket as to why it's not shipping, and I got an answer of back order of several weeks.  Kind of peeved...

When did u order? I opened a ticket to order, placed an order on the 9th. And received my V2 overnight on the 10, in Canada no less. You should have received it over night, unless its like mad back ordered.

Sep 20, 2015 at 3:13 PM Post #522 of 1,391
I ordered on Tuesday the 15th.  The thing is even Amazon shows 8 in stock:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B013KX2R9A

No idea what's going on -- time to place another ticket?

Sep 22, 2015 at 1:50 AM Post #523 of 1,391
someone brought this to my attention, and so before I accidentally damage the V2 I want to make sure. Isn't the V2 balanced out like the pono? My Sony Z5 has a balanced cable like this

Someone who posted this brought this to my attention:

It seems that the Geek Out V2 does not have the 3.5mm balanced left and right outputs features, like in the PHA3 and Pono Player.

Were you referring to Geek Out V2 TRRS balanced output?

https://support.lhlabs.com/support/solutions/articles/5000634421-geek-out-v2-user-manual- 

Single Ended And Balanced Outputs

Geek Out V2 features two audio outputs. A 1/8”/3.5mm single-ended (TRS) output, as well as a 1/8”/3.5mm balanced (TRRS) output.

The Single-Ended Output is indicated with a "SE" mark above the headphone jack. A "BAL" for Balanced output is indicated above the jack that is directly under the USB port. It is not recommended to use a Single-ended (TRS) 3.5mm jack for the balanced output and will not be covered under warranty if damage occurs. By incorporating a TRRS to XLR cable, the Geek Out V2 can be connected to a home stereo system in full balanced mode.

V2 Pin-out Diagram:

V2%20pinout%20diagram.jpg

Post can be found here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/733404/sonys-new-2014-flagship-iem-xba-z5/2400#post_11935261

If it won't work I will be SERIOUSLY bummed out. It was one of the features that got me to bite in the first place

@Mannytorres  Perhaps you can shed some light on this?

Sep 22, 2015 at 1:57 AM Post #524 of 1,391
You'd need an adapter to use the balanced 4 pole 3.5mm trrs port on the gov2.  It uses a different balanced connector than the pono, it uses the type used by hifiman daps.  Both connection types are pretty rare so it's hard to find adapters.  If you can make your own it's pretty easy though

Sep 23, 2015 at 4:19 PM Post #525 of 1,391
A couple of members asked for a comparison between the Apogee Groove and GOV2. I have both right now, so here’s my little take for what it’s worth.

I purchased the Apogee Groove a couple of weeks ago for travel use. It looks great and build quality is first rate. Sound quality is really good too with both my HD650s and Ultrasone Edition 8s. It has a clear, detailed presentation and good separation.I don’t need to raise the volume above 20% for either headphone, which is impressive. In fact, I don’t have to alter the volume at all when switching between my headphones which is interesting considering they’re at opposite ends of the impedance spectrum. I assume this is due to the constant current drive technology in the amp. It does get hot, though.

Unfortunately, on certain recordings, there is some loss of detail and it can sound a little congested. This does not occur with the same recordings played through my desktop system - the Lavry DA11 DAC and DNA Sonett headphone amp.

So I decided to audition the Geek Out V2. The unit arrived yesterday.

Everything I have read about the GOV2 is true - it looks and feels cheap, the plastic is sticky to the touch, it seems easily breakable, it smells awful, and the LEDS are not all working. I can’t help but wonder if the unit will sooner or later blow up or melt onto my desk. The build quality does not inspire confidence and the unit looks more like a home electronics project.

It has one thing going for it - the sound quality. 

The GOV2 produces a lush, euphoric, almost tube-like sound, yet presents great detail and separation even with the most demanding recordings. The sound quality is so good it rivals my DA11/Sonett desktop system and has me constantly switching between the two to see which is better. I’m undecided.

With the sound quality factored in, this unit is quite a bargain.

The only criticism I could make about the GOV2’s sound signature is that it is sometimes too lush, and I start to miss the pristine clarity and somewhat dryer presentation of the Groove and DA11. However, this could be because my ears have grown accustomed to the more neutral “pro-audio” studio sound that both the Lavry and Apogee are designed for.

I have developed quite an affection for the Groove and was hoping it would win my shoot out. Alas, it’s going back. I just hope the GOV2 doesn’t crap out on me too quickly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back