LH Labs Geek Out v2 Discussion Thread
Jul 16, 2015 at 10:28 PM Post #376 of 1,391
There's another website that apparently isn't allowed to be mentioned on head-fi and several members over there had very nice things to say about it. They are very blunt if they don't like something, too.

Jul 16, 2015 at 10:56 PM Post #377 of 1,391
  Read the few positive impressions, still don't know if it is better than the standard O2/ODAC or a Magi/Modi stack everyone recomends.

I have a Schiit Asgard 2 right now & would like to know if this would be a upgrade/downgrade/equal from it?

GO V1 handily beat the magni/modi stack to me. V2 should be way better.

Jul 17, 2015 at 1:25 AM Post #378 of 1,391
^^ it is better. As far as the Asgard combo, I think it depends on the hps you're driving. Some I like better with the v2 some with my lyr. But....big but , I'm using killer tubes. With standard tubes the V2 all day. It's quite heavy on the bass, too much for the vibros, but I like it anyway . It stomps with the 560,q701,focals

Aug 1, 2015 at 7:26 AM Post #379 of 1,391
Hello guys, I've asked this on the v2+ thread but I'm also asking here, just in case anybody has experience with directly this trying the v2:

* Is it useful / necessary to connect this to another amp? While the v2 already has an internal amp, I'm interested to see if connecting it to another amp (be it mid or hi class, etc.) would further refine the sound? I mean this has a very good DAC and I already have some very good amps so I'm wondering how well a good amp can bump up the sonic performance at all?

* Also regarding usage as an amp-only: Is it pretty much just plug & play so that you can connect it to your device via 3.5mm audio cable to utilize this as an amp, like if your digital connection isn't compatible - then would you need to press a few buttons or something to change it to this mode? And in what way does this refine the sound as an amp only?

Thanks much

Aug 2, 2015 at 2:15 AM Post #380 of 1,391
It is not necessary to connect this to an external amp unless you have very difficult to drive headphones, like some older planar magnetic headphones, and even then, you'll get good volume. The 1 watt amp inside this thing is known to have powered even proper speaker, albeit very very efficient ones, but still impressive.

Now the Geek Out only accepts sound through its digital USB interface. It doesnt have analog inputs to use it as an external amp for other devices

Aug 2, 2015 at 5:37 AM Post #381 of 1,391
I don't think the OP is making the assumptions you do: he is asking about connection to external amps - whether these drive headphones or loudspeakers, isn't stated. Obviously, if an external amplifier is needed, it's not going to be able to improve on the SQ of the v2 op amp, as it is in series with it, but can be used to power more powerful speakers, or may be used simply because of the convenience.

While I have no idea myself about the practical effect of connecting the v2 (headphone) output(s) to an amplifier (as I haven't received my v2+ yet), I would expect an output that's rated at 0.47ohms output impedance and 2v (4v balanced) to pretty well match the line-in input of an amplifier - though there's an impedance mismatch, it may not affect the v2 output characteristics. It's difficult to say, maybe someone else can comment. The spec for the TI opamp IC http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/tpa6120a2.pdf does mention some instability if capacitance is found on the output, but again, I have no idea if this might make any specific amplifier connection incompatible.

Aug 2, 2015 at 8:39 PM Post #382 of 1,391
can anyone tell us what batch they received or know which  batch is shipping now?

Aug 2, 2015 at 8:41 PM Post #383 of 1,391
  I was batch 22 which was scheduled for November.  I inquired with a ticket and they said I should receive mine by mid/late july.

@rmullins08

i am also around that  batch.
did you receive yours yet, or a shipping notification?

Aug 2, 2015 at 8:48 PM Post #384 of 1,391
Nope, haven't heard anything yet.

Aug 3, 2015 at 12:25 AM Post #385 of 1,391
I'm batch 21, haven't gotten yet. According to the schedule all preorderers should have it by the end of this month right? Woo not long

Aug 3, 2015 at 4:47 AM Post #386 of 1,391
I'm batch 21, haven't gotten yet. According to the schedule all preorderers should have it by the end of this month right? Woo not long

The latest schedule seems to show that a) V2 schedule is now complete by end August, b) with v2+ complete by end of September. On these products, LHLabs appear to be on track, or in advance of their original schedules, either because their output is higher or because of a real drop in confirmed orders as a result of their pulling the pre-orders - or a combination of both factors. The other factor, I feel, is that I haven't really seen v2 make a splash outside of some narrow audiophile/headphone-fi meets.

Aug 3, 2015 at 7:20 AM Post #387 of 1,391

The latest schedule seems to show that a) V2 schedule is now complete by end August, b) with v2+ complete by end of September. On these products, LHLabs appear to be on track, or in advance of their original schedules, either because their output is higher or because of a real drop in confirmed orders as a result of their pulling the pre-orders - or a combination of both factors. The other factor, I feel, is that I haven't really seen v2 make a splash outside of some narrow audiophile/headphone-fi meets.

do you have a link to the 'latest' schedule info?  are there dates per batch?

Aug 3, 2015 at 11:09 AM Post #388 of 1,391

I believe the output is higher, but the drop in confirmed orders has to be a huge factor.

I reserved under Batch 22, which would mean there were between 2,700-2,899 reservations before I made mine.

With $357,262 raised in the IGG campain, if every single reservation was for a V2 that was reserved, that only gets you 1,587.83 orders.  That total amount raised also includes the V2+, and all other variations, accessories, combo deals, so it wasn't just 1,587 V2s

do you have a link to the 'latest' schedule info?  are there dates per batch?

I think the original batch thing was thrown out the window as there had to have been a decent amount of people who dropped off when they required payment well ahead of what we were interpreting "prior to shipment" to mean.  Considering you can go on LHLabs and reserve a V2 for shipment in August, I would imagine anyone who ordered through IGG will have it in the next few weeks

Aug 3, 2015 at 4:51 PM Post #390 of 1,391

Users who are viewing this thread

Back