LG V10 : New ESS Chipped Flagship Android Phone from LG
Oct 6, 2016 at 10:03 AM Post #3,091 of 3,525
How many Amps and Volts do we need to properly charge our phone in a car?     I have a free dinky little 5v 1,000ma car charger but if I have music and directions I'm still losing charge as it obviously isn't powerful enough.

Oct 6, 2016 at 10:22 AM Post #3,092 of 3,525
  How many Amps and Volts do we need to properly charge our phone in a car?     I have a free dinky little 5v 1,000ma car charger but if I have music and directions I'm still losing charge as it obviously isn't powerful enough.

You need 2a or greater if you are going to use the phone while charging. If the phone is off, 1a is fine but of course takes longer. With the phone running multiple CPU intensive tasks (GPS, talking, etc.) it charges at a very slow rate with a 2a charger. 

Oct 6, 2016 at 3:03 PM Post #3,093 of 3,525
Just to piggyback on ira's comment. If you have the phone on, running, and using the hifi dac too, you can be pulling 3/4 of an amp. That is why the v10 will lose power plugged into a 1a charger while running. 2a chargers will do the job but can take a very long time if the phone is in use. Best option is get a Qualcomm quick charger which can push tons of watts too, then you can do anything and still charge quickly.

Oct 6, 2016 at 4:51 PM Post #3,094 of 3,525
Just to piggyback on ira's comment. If you have the phone on, running, and using the hifi dac too, you can be pulling 3/4 of an amp. That is why the v10 will lose power plugged into a 1a charger while running. 2a chargers will do the job but can take a very long time if the phone is in use. Best option is get a Qualcomm quick charger which can push tons of watts too, then you can do anything and still charge quickly.

Good point. I have a 2a auto charger but never thought about an auto charger that supports Qualcomm Quick Charge standard. I see they do make them.

Oct 11, 2016 at 2:19 PM Post #3,095 of 3,525
Can someone please explain what the alsa app is actually good for, other than showing off the power of the V10? 

I see pages and pages of complaining that you can't manually modify the gain unless rooted, but I haven't seen any examples of anyone plugging in a set of headphones and the V10 not using the right setting, or not allowing the user to select a volume that is more than loud enough?

What is the point of setting high gain and volume low, vs med gain and med volume? I don't understand the electricity to the cans difference, other than some distortion caused by unnecessary gain.

Oct 11, 2016 at 3:51 PM Post #3,096 of 3,525
Actually I'm wondering if we can bypass the headphone jack and just use the DAC on the V10?  
Can we hook up via a USB cable and send audio to an external headphone amp?  I know the amp on the V10 is actually pretty good, but I have 2 other headphone amps at home that I'd like to use with the V10.

Oct 11, 2016 at 4:35 PM Post #3,097 of 3,525
  Actually I'm wondering if we can bypass the headphone jack and just use the DAC on the V10?  
Can we hook up via a USB cable and send audio to an external headphone amp?  I know the amp on the V10 is actually pretty good, but I have 2 other headphone amps at home that I'd like to use with the V10.

to do this i have been just putting it into "aux" mode by connecting a extension cable first then connect it to amp.... i know it's not ideal but i don't know any way to get the dac signal directly. not like there's a LOD for the V10....

Oct 13, 2016 at 12:28 AM Post #3,098 of 3,525
The MPJ brand battery seems pretty good to me, was on Amazon. I got an external charger so i could fully charge it before first use. My stock LG battery doesn't get great life and had a small bump I was a little worried about since when it shipped the battery was bouncing around by itself. The battery life is much better so i think I may just get a second of these and recycle the stock battery.

Oct 16, 2016 at 4:08 PM Post #3,099 of 3,525
is any one tried to MEElectronics Pinnacle P1 on LG V10 it is 50ohms IEM and i heard it is the BEST i am not sure bcoz it is not hybrid with BA driver 
please let me know if anyone get chance to TEST this IEM on LG V10 or V20

Oct 16, 2016 at 8:13 PM Post #3,100 of 3,525
is any one tried to MEElectronics Pinnacle P1 on LG V10 it is 50ohms IEM and i heard it is the BEST i am not sure bcoz it is not hybrid with BA driver 

I've also kind of been curious about the pairing. It would either work very well, or kind of poorly. If it sends the amp into the high gain mode, then it should work very well. If it doesn't put the amp into high gain then it would probably be very disappointing since I've heard people say they are generally knf of hard to drive. Since they are exactly 50ohms I'd be curious to know if they actually send the amp into high gain, or if the V10 saw them at just under 50 and didn't adjust the gain.

Oct 16, 2016 at 8:32 PM Post #3,101 of 3,525

I don't have that earphone but I suggest whoever tries it with the V10 to use the cable without a remote (assuming they come with 2 cables as pictured on the manufacturer site).

Using any remote cable direct to the V10 will only give normal power. Aux power level may be possible if the earphones are connected last but there is no way to trigger high impedance mode with a remote.

Oct 16, 2016 at 8:41 PM Post #3,102 of 3,525
I don't have that earphone but I suggest whoever tries it with the V10 to use the cable without a remote (assuming they come with 2 cables as pictured on the manufacturer site).

Using any remote cable direct to the V10 will only give normal power. Aux power level may be possible if the earphones are connected last but there is no way to trigger high impedance mode with a remote.

There is a way, however you need root access, and then Alsa app can command the different levels of power really easily.
And what a huge difference it makes to select the right power, makes me really like my V10.
(On my Solar's I can use about half the volume to get to that sweet spot with the power on 25, where the p7's really sound great in high gain.)

I may never be able to update my Android version unfortunately, as a down side, unless someone discovers an exploit for the newer versions, or LG become very generous and release the data.

Oct 16, 2016 at 11:46 PM Post #3,103 of 3,525
I read a review here of someone trying it out on the V10. They said it pairs well but because of the headphones restrained bass and the V10s slightly brighter signature, the highs were a bit too much compared with the rest of the sound. Although I've never used the pinnacle, my Aurisonics ASG 2.5s are obviously more bass oriented with a highs roll-off which I think sounds great. I think the V10 pairs best with warm to slightly bassy sounding headphones.

Oct 17, 2016 at 8:57 AM Post #3,104 of 3,525
I wish there was a way to make the alsa app settings stick longer. I find that if an album comes to an end in poweramp or even if I sometimes pause the stock LG music app, the levels default back to normal mode. Have to go back into alsa app as music is playing and activate it again. Also only other negative I've found with Alsa app is to be prepared for all other sounds to be loud! Like if you get a notification from an app. I usually will turn off notifications and alarms sounds.
There is a way, however you need root access, and then Alsa app can command the different levels of power really easily.
And what a huge difference it makes to select the right power, makes me really like my V10.
(On my Solar's I can use about half the volume to get to that sweet spot with the power on 25, where the p7's really sound great in high gain.)

I may never be able to update my Android version unfortunately, as a down side, unless someone discovers an exploit for the newer versions, or LG become very generous and release the data.

Oct 17, 2016 at 10:58 AM Post #3,105 of 3,525
I read a review here of someone trying it out on the V10. They said it pairs well but because of the headphones restrained bass and the V10s slightly brighter signature, the highs were a bit too much compared with the rest of the sound. Although I've never used the pinnacle, my Aurisonics ASG 2.5s are obviously more bass oriented with a highs roll-off which I think sounds great. I think the V10 pairs best with warm to slightly bassy sounding headphones.

That's all personal preference. I like my V10 with already bright headphones like the Q701 and the RE-Zero. Im not one that likes a lot of bass. I prefer to listen at low volume and to be presented with a lot of detail and extreme clarity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back