Letting Go of Headphones
Jan 30, 2007 at 7:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

fureshi

Headphoneus Supremus
I don't know about you guys but I would really like to reduce my collection of headphones and be as minimalist as possible. The main problem that I have is that it's so hard for me to let go of some in my collection. For example, I still have the HF1 even though I almost never use it but for some reason I can't let it go. Maybe it's the limited edition status? Maybe it's the fact that it'll be hard to replace some of them?

Another example is between my ER4p and E500. I know that I want to reduce to one IEM but I like both so where does that leave me? Which one do I get rid of? It's hard to let go of something you enjoy but to reduce the number of headphones, I know I'll eventually have to. Does anyone else here have the same problem?
basshead.gif

Jan 30, 2007 at 7:20 AM Post #2 of 25
I've had the same feeling a few times. Thing is, there's something I like about each headphone.

What I've done lately is box up all of them except one and listen to that one exclusively during that week. Then, I put it away and listen to another. The rotation keeps my interest up and it also keeps me from favoring just one. I swap the amps, too, but not as often.

Jan 30, 2007 at 7:20 AM Post #3 of 25
I have the same thought. Mine are adding up, too, and some of them are sitting somewhere in my closets, untouched. Actually, I haven't sold anything, including my gears from other hobbies and sports. It's getting out of control. I guess that I'll have to start to unload them to act like I'm behaving...
tongue.gif
Which hobby first ?
wink.gif

Jan 30, 2007 at 7:30 AM Post #4 of 25
Quote:

For example, I still have the HF1 even though I almost never use it but for some reason I can't let it go.

How about letting it go into my hands?
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 30, 2007 at 8:48 AM Post #5 of 25
You're not alone. Just look at my little collection. As much as I like the minimalist approach to most things, I find that it goes against my nature.

I sold all my Senns -- 595, 600, 650. But I'm craving to have the 600 again.

I'm constantly rotating headphones, but I like the idea of boxing them up for periods. I generally use one or two for 2, 3 week stretches before changing (whenever my ears tire of the sound).

Jan 30, 2007 at 11:22 AM Post #6 of 25
Ha ha ha, such a serous-sounding OP. As if anyone is going to feel any sympathy, pfffft.

Fureshi and socrates63, you two are definitely doomed to suffer more of the Head-Fi curse, ha ha ha.

Ha ha ha, ha ha ha ha ha, ha ha ha... haarupp?!? *choke* *splutter* *spits and pulls out a chunk of grass with trunk*

Er, I've been thinking about the Stax Omega II recently. And the Edition 9, Victor JVC, HP1000, PS1, Qualia, R10. And a balanced amp.

And I can't bear (<-bad animal, BTW) to even think of selling anything! *cries, blows trunk and goes back to chewing tree bark*

Jan 30, 2007 at 2:16 PM Post #7 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elephas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ha ha ha, ha ha ha ha ha, ha ha ha... haarupp?!? *choke* *splutter* *spits and pulls out a chunk of grass with trunk*

*cries, blows trunk and goes back to chewing tree bark*

blink.gif

I've decided to never have more than 3 pairs of headphones - IEMs, Gaming/Movies, and then an Everything Else pair.

Jan 30, 2007 at 2:22 PM Post #8 of 25
i have the opposite problem, which can be easy solved by having someone with too many cans sending me a pair. i am missing an opened back headphone, senn or grado anybody? going to a music lovers home, would be used for hours DAILY!!!

Jan 30, 2007 at 2:29 PM Post #10 of 25
The problem (if one can call it that) with headphones is that they are relatively inexpensive (compared to speakers) and they don't take up a lot of space so possessing more than one is possible and doesn't seem too outrageous to many (within the community anyway
wink.gif
)

I have a very difficult time letting go of headphones and I'll forever kick myself for selling off my HP-1's. It was a necessary sale at the time (funded my phono) but dang...I want them back, even if I only listen once a year for that one album or whatever...that one time would be worth keeping them around.

I too have two IEM's and would have a tough time getting rid of either pair. They both suit different forms of music and are used for different purposes.

With a speaker, at least for those that don't have a good deal of space...having more than one system is quite difficult so there is a painstaking process of choosing the right set, then the right amp(s) because the hassle of swapping in and out...perhaps selling and being without until the new stuff arrives...it is a lot to deal with. Headphones for better or for worse make life far too convenient and that means a world of hurt for the wallet.

Jan 30, 2007 at 2:36 PM Post #11 of 25
So far the only ones I've ever let go are the ER4S and Edition 7, and I've had serious thoughts of replacing both of them! The ER4S isolate like nothing else I've ever tried and would be perfect for my scooter. I'm still getting too much wind with the UE 10-Pro and E500. I'd probably do the ER4P instead this time but I'm trying to resist.

Ok, not the Edition 7 but maybe I'd replace them with the Edition 9 instead. It seems that I never really gave them enough of a chance and now that I know what the 2500 and 750 are capable of, I'd like of know how much further the Edition 7/9 can take that same Ultrasone goodness. But again, I'm resisting.

Same goes for the JVC DX1000 and the new Denon AH D5000.

That's (at least) 4 that I'd like to buy. Sell? That's the hardest part for me, although I did give away my original DT770 and DT990 and my W100 is on a permanent loan to my mom. My Jecklin Floats also disappeared in the loaner program a couple of years ago, never to be seen again.

Jan 30, 2007 at 2:40 PM Post #12 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With a speaker, at least for those that don't have a good deal of space...having more than one system is quite difficult so there is a painstaking process of choosing the right set, then the right amp(s) because the hassle of swapping in and out...perhaps selling and being without until the new stuff arrives...it is a lot to deal with. Headphones for better or for worse make life far too convenient and that means a world of hurt for the wallet.

The other thing about an excess inventory of speakers is that it makes you sick to look in your closets and see perfectly good speakers (even great) that should have a better home. I mean you can't even set them up! With headphones, they may sit there, but at any moment you can grab them and put them to use (even if you never do). Or as you say, maybe you'll use them just once per year for that special albulm! But at least you can if you want to.

Jan 30, 2007 at 2:43 PM Post #13 of 25
I am thinking about selling some of my headphones. So I can buy the DT880s. I really want those. But I haven't got the money.

But it hurts letting other headphones go. The pain...
biggrin.gif

Jan 30, 2007 at 3:01 PM Post #15 of 25
u don't say why u want to reduce ur collection (money issue? space issue? less into the hobby now than yesterday?). i have a bunch of stuff that i've collected over the years, and it's always tough to clean house.

have u seen those tv shows where they redecorate someone's house or give them a makeover? the designers come in and start throwing out everything. the person getting done over says, "oh no, please don't throw out my favoite pair of jeans!!!!" and the designers hold their nose and chuck the jeans into the garbage.

if u really want to reduce ur collection, u have to get serious about it. u have to get into the mentality of the designers, who r laser focused on making change, not the person getting done over, who kinda wants change but is still attached to their old jeans. otherwise u will just waffle back and forth between wanting to get rid of something and not wanting to get rid of it. it's like a dr. phil show where he tells his guests, "get real!" about their situation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back