Lets Talk Metal
Jan 20, 2014 at 3:20 PM Post #13,097 of 29,687
  For All Tid (1994)
Stormblåst (1996)
Enthrone Darkness Triumphant (1997)
Spiritual Black Dimensions (1999)
Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia (2001)
Death Cult Armageddon (2003)
Stormblåst MMV (2005)
In Sorte Diaboli (2007)
Abrahadabra (2010)
TBA (2014)

For anyone who cares, I just thought I would post a detailed review of the Dimmu Borgir studio output. I have had a long relationship with this music and hold it close to my heart.

1) Before " For All Tid" was the EP Inn I Evighetens Morke

This Ep sold out quick and put Dimmu in view of the small beginning Black Metal trend. If you go out and try to find all the rare EPs out there you will find the songs are a little different on the EPs. Some sound rerecorded, some sound remixed and some have different intros.

For most of us Stormblast is the really first and great record. The keyboard player did some major copycat stuff on the first keyboard intro. The record had some copy-write issues and hence was rerecorded in 2005 with-out the problem material.
Everyone has always talked about the bad sound-quality of 1996's Stormblast. The album really changed Black Metal, influences to countless musicians today. The 2005 had a great sound but failed, even with Hellhammer on drums, to bring the energy and vibe of the original to the present day.

For the metal world in general though the next album Enthroned Darkness Triumphant was the major release getting the band mainstream notice. I will post a song here for anyone who has not heard it. For many the sound was revolutionary.

The musical break right at the 1.23 mark shows the cyristallization of musical intent and maturity finally realized with the band. This album is really looked at as the start of an underground musical style going total mainstream. As the years passed we saw Dimmu Borgir go to fill large concert arenas and take Black Metal music to the masses.

This is the classic Dimmu that anyone interested should seek out first. The difference from Stormblast a year before is night and day as far as sound quality goes.

From here we go on to the golden age of Dimmu Borgir.

The next four full album releases are the greatest.

All these are also essential to the Dimmu Borgir fan. They are all modern sounding and are perfect!

2007..........  In Sorte Diaboli
2001.......... Puritanical Eurphoric Misanthropia
2003.......... Death Cult Armageddon ( The original vinyl release does not sound that great ) CD is the way to go here.
1999..........  Spiritual Black Dimensions

Besides finding their first Ep also the 1998 EP Godless Savage Garden is a great EP. Mainly for this song!

The above song is also released in somewhat different forms in For All Tid and first released in the 1994 EP Inn I Evighentens Morke. Also released as the 11th song in the Enthroned Darkness Triumphant release 1997 and undergone a full remaster for the Reloaded series released September 2nd 2008.

Goddless Savage Garden also released as part of the Nuclear Blast Reloaded series.

Enthroned Darkness Triumphant was remastered with the original tapes and Nuclear Blast reproduced a great sounding CD, including a live video and bonus track in the Reloaded series of remasters.

So in retrospect we have a ten year window here. Dimmu Bogir has put out super quality from 1997 to 2007. They are going to release an album again this year. We hope it is a return to classic form, if possible?

Thanks, Dimmu Borgir was big for me during my college years ^_^

Jan 20, 2014 at 4:52 PM Post #13,100 of 29,687
In Austin? I'm jealous. If so, where?

San Antonio at Backstage Live. I was thinking about doing Houston on the 22nd but the SA show was added and tickets were cheaper for that one.

Also, I'm about equally excited for Enslaved. Skeletonwitch too honestly. But mostly the 2 viking bands. :)

Rare there's a line up where I like all the bands. I REALLY wanted to see Gojira recently, but I hate Slayer.

Jan 20, 2014 at 5:17 PM Post #13,101 of 29,687
Jan 20, 2014 at 8:45 PM Post #13,103 of 29,687
San Antonio at Backstage Live. I was thinking about doing Houston on the 22nd but the SA show was added and tickets were cheaper for that one.

Also, I'm about equally excited for Enslaved. Skeletonwitch too honestly. But mostly the 2 viking bands.
smily_headphones1.gif

Rare there's a line up where I like all the bands. I REALLY wanted to see Gojira recently, but I hate Slayer.

I don't like all of Slayer, but I've had the title track of "Hell Awaits" in my head now for several days. I love that album.

Jan 21, 2014 at 12:13 AM Post #13,104 of 29,687

That's a really good point. Death Cult is tons of FUN. Some people think symphonic BM is goofy....Black metal meets a Howard Shore LOTR soundtrack. But, it totally works for me.

+1 markm1

Except I like the new dimmu stuff, probably for the same reason I love B-movies. Can't be so serious and kvlt all the time, and hey gotta love the evil dudes bringing hate to the masses (Watain, anyone?) even if it isn't the same as the old stuff

That's a really good point. Death Cult is tons of FUN. Some people think symphonic BM is goofy....Black metal meets a Howard Shore LOTR soundtrack. But, it totally works for me.

Great Dimmu overview...

Dimmu were one of the first BM bands I investigated. I've always liked Puritanical Eurphoric Misanthropia and Spiritual Black Dimensions. The overall seductive candelabra infused atmosphere and dark atmospheres are addictive. The symphonic elements feel just about right to me on those two. For me they add to the occultish Transylvanian soundtrack vibe IMO.

I stopped with  Death Cult. It's well done, but it feels too slick....more like a formulaic slasher movie rather than their previous releases that just feel more authentic to me- shivers up the spine inducing. It feels a little campy and over the top, but I guess you don't go  to Dimmu for subtlety
biggrin.gif

The only album I'm not 100% on is their last full release, Abrahadabra (2010)? They have now lost members which are important for their classic sound so who knows what this next one will be like? I'm not sure about the white clothes either? Sadly they have lost a little of what made them great at one time. Maybe this style of symphonic metal belonged to the times and has a hard time reemerging in todays sound? If the style is lost I will accept it as being just apart of that 10 years of 1997 to 2007.

The band was one of the first major Black Metal bands that I related with and loved completely. Really, you don't have any symphonic bands as popular. I didn't go over any of their live recordings in the review, but they are super strong as well.

I just posted the review of their albums as I don't see a lot of reference to Dimmu here.If you were on-board with the style and music then Death-Cult was a normal progression for the band and even being very slick held all the quality factors which made them great. Interestingly they came out with a strictly symphonic rendition of the album on vinyl as well an extended symphonic CD. A style never before heard in Black Metal. So ya, if you avoid that reach on the bands part they are still sounding the same.

For whatever reason I can play the old CDs and they sound just as good and fresh as when I first heard them. Puritanical Eurphoric Misanthropia is still a totally amazing record just full of talent that I still never get tired of. Just simply amazing. In some ways it represents an apex for the bands trajectory. A statement to their mainstreamness was the use of Deathcult in a major studio movie release. Your never going to hear Watain in a movie soundtrack nowdays? Especially not in a mainstream blockbuster movie.
tongue.gif

Another reason I posted them here is I think they could be considered audiophile Black Metal. If they are not I don't know what is?

Jan 21, 2014 at 1:31 AM Post #13,105 of 29,687
In case anyone's wondering the show was amazing. Killer setlist from Amon Amarth and Skeletonwitch killed it too.

Enslaved was of course good, but their first few songs were a little too downtempo for a set like this, I thought.

Jan 21, 2014 at 2:45 AM Post #13,106 of 29,687
Do you guys would stop buying vinyls if the days of brickwalled albums are finally over?

Jan 21, 2014 at 12:06 PM Post #13,108 of 29,687
In case anyone's wondering the show was amazing. Killer setlist from Amon Amarth and Skeletonwitch killed it too.

Enslaved was of course good, but their first few songs were a little too downtempo for a set like this, I thought.

Cool!

I imagine skeleton witch putting on an evil show, would love to see those characters. That's quite a playbill!

Jan 21, 2014 at 12:39 PM Post #13,109 of 29,687
Cool!

I imagine skeleton witch putting on an evil show, would love to see those characters. That's quite a playbill!

I jumped in the pit a couple too many times so I'm feelin' it this morning, but it was a good time.

Skeletonwitch's set was too short. My only real complaint.

Jan 21, 2014 at 1:18 PM Post #13,110 of 29,687
A new At the Gates album?
Interesting!
Not a big fan of their music, but it would be cool to hear how they changed over all these years.

http://www.nocleansinging.com/2014/01/21/a-new-at-the-gates-album-yes-please/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back