Lets Talk Metal
May 21, 2013 at 12:57 AM Post #9,736 of 29,687
http://www.metalstorm.net/events/news_comments.php?news_id=20040

Finally a new Satyricon album done in the studio!!!
The last album was released 5 years ago.

May 21, 2013 at 3:53 PM Post #9,739 of 29,687
Quote:
Just realised that I have _ cds on order...
Protest The hero's as yet unnamed fourth album
Oh Sleepers Titan Ep
Exivious- Liminal
Uneven Structure- 8 EP
Evita- Minutes And Miles

And I badly want
Dillinger Escape Plan- One Of Us Is The Killer
TesseracT- Altered State
Scale The Summit- The Migration
Orphaned Land- All Is One
and many more i can't think of right now I expect....

Online ordering runs away with me so quickly...
Does anyone else have this problem with ordering music, ordering a stack, then realising just how much you've ordered?
When I say problem, it's not really a problem, I love new music.

ugh tell me about it...it's to the point that i can't even listen to it all anymore, but for some reason i still order more before i finish the first bunch.

i couldn't add up the costs over the last 20 years of collecting music, it would scare me too much especially factoring in the time spent organizing, digitizing, etc....nowadays i only order physical copies if i have to, i stick to digital because i don't care much about the sleeves or hardcopy and it takes up less space (all my hardcopies are either sold or stored in the attic anyways) and cuts down on time spent changing formats and stuff.  i haven't even used my record player in a couple years i know that's sacrilege to some but we all do our own thing right?

May 21, 2013 at 4:58 PM Post #9,740 of 29,687
Behold! A new Deafheaven track ♥
http://www.thefader.com/2013/05/21/stream-deafheaven-sunbather/

May 21, 2013 at 5:12 PM Post #9,741 of 29,687
Quote:
I started to add it up and I spent 60 thousand US dollars so far. O well, it's something I like.

Damn, I'm at  ~300albums, and ~3000US, makes me feel like I'm just getting started

Quote:

ugh tell me about it...it's to the point that i can't even listen to it all anymore, but for some reason i still order more before i finish the first bunch.

i couldn't add up the costs over the last 20 years of collecting music, it would scare me too much especially factoring in the time spent organizing, digitizing, etc....nowadays i only order physical copies if i have to, i stick to digital because i don't care much about the sleeves or hardcopy and it takes up less space (all my hardcopies are either sold or stored in the attic anyways) and cuts down on time spent changing formats and stuff.  i haven't even used my record player in a couple years i know that's sacrilege to some but we all do our own thing right?

I personally would never buy an album online, I get a little annoyed when bands don't release hard copies, that being said. it's starting to get expensive, as my cd player died, and my amp is on it's last legs, so I'm looking for a small, cheap cd player, and probably a magni (maybe an asgard if I'm feeling rich) but that will be a big hit, and certainly part of the cd collection in my mind, that's one reason I can't face LP's, also the price, and that just listening to them wears them out. and the price of the equipment to listen to them on, and get them sounding anywhere near as good as cds (cheap turntables don
't sound as good compared to cheap cd players)

May 21, 2013 at 7:38 PM Post #9,742 of 29,687
I´m also considering buying a new cd player and a new amp. It doesn´t have to be too good as my dad already got a really great and expensive system. It should sound "smooth" and warm with some nice bass. Can anyone recommend me a good cd player/ amp that is affordable? 300 $ would be maximum, preferably less.

May 21, 2013 at 10:50 PM Post #9,743 of 29,687
Damn, I'm at  ~300albums, and ~3000US, makes me feel like I'm just getting started

I personally would never buy an album online, I get a little annoyed when bands don't release hard copies,

I don't have physical space for a collection my size. I sell or give away my hard copies once digitized unless they are box sets or otherwise special. I totally respect the whole hard copy / LP thing, but it's not my thing :wink:
I also haven't played a CD in a long, long time...until I just bought an old jeep to restore and it has a CD player, it was quite a stretch to find some discs to play that I would actually let out of my house

May 21, 2013 at 11:20 PM Post #9,744 of 29,687
Quote:
I´m also considering buying a new cd player and a new amp. It doesn´t have to be too good as my dad already got a really great and expensive system. It should sound "smooth" and warm with some nice bass. Can anyone recommend me a good cd player/ amp that is affordable? 300 $ would be maximum, preferably less.

I've been putting together a budget speaker system and HP rig....think I've spent just $1300 on my speaker rig with shelf speakers and about $450 on HP/amp using the Asgard 2-no DAC. BTW, for the money the A2 has really upped my SQ on my Grados. Really pleased. I'll end up upgrading some stuff and dropping more. But for under 2k, I've got sound that, while in development, sounds pretty solid. Yes, I will continue to tweek and upgrade. But, bottom line, I can now listen to music that doesn't sound like schiit.

So, I low balled the CD player and receiver..will probably upgrade to an integrated amp and sell my receiver.

All that said, I picked up an Onkyo 7030 CD player....google it. It's $200 or less w/ a Wolfson DAC. It's not top of the line in any sense, but sounds really quite good for the money. I'm happy with it. I would say, a very clean, clear sound.

http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-C-7030-Compact-Player-Black/dp/B004UR487A

May 22, 2013 at 1:32 PM Post #9,745 of 29,687
Quote:
I don't know (I have tried to do some research on your behalf), but I will say this...

The album came out in 2005. The CD is pretty much a brickwalled DR6. From what I gather (someone please correct me) but Century Media typically uses the same master for both so I sincerely doubt its much different (I could very well be wrong but this has just been my experience).

The latest one is mastered by Jens Bogren so I suspect it should sound stellar but a bit compressed (kinda like what Swano does, modern, not *ideal,* but sounds great).

I finally found out about the vinyl version of Character. It is DR 12. So is it safe to say that it would likely sound much better?

May 23, 2013 at 2:22 PM Post #9,748 of 29,687
I've got several pages to catch up on, I was gonna all weekend at a convention and then didn't touch headfi till today...

My copy of RAM on vinyl hasn't arrived yet :/ I preordered at amazon, shoulda just gotten it at the local store.

Morbidtoaster, I ordered the Ocean LPs, but they haven't arrived yet...the Pelagial store isn't the fastest place it would seem, it's run by them though. I hope they arrive soon cause I really want to compare to the cd version, which I listen to a lot, loving that cd quite a bit still.

I'll say that I really like Coal by Leprous though, my copies arrived yesterday, got the cd and the LP. I've only listened all the way through once in the car, and I'm listening to the LPs right now actually, but I really like where they went with the new sound, not sure if I would rank it higher than bilateral though...

May 24, 2013 at 12:36 AM Post #9,750 of 29,687
Quote:

Heh, well some of the other metal albums I've been listening to lately sound a lot better than L'Enfant Sauvage, specifically CDs like Helloween's 7 Sinners, In Flames' The Jester Race, and Diablo Swing Orchestra's Sing Along Songs for the Damned & Delirious. The MFSL version of Megadeth's Countdown To Extinction sounds pretty good too. I do like the music on L'Enfant Sauvage a lot, it's just too bad that it's not recorded well. Would sound a lot better if it was.

For what it's worth, Sauvage on CD is more compressed than any of those. I just covered the vinyl version today on Metal-Fi. The difference is pretty dramatic - the vinyl is DR12 compared to the CD at DR6. Mario's drums sound absolutely massive, so much better than the CD. The tonality is similar though, it still has that gritty feel common with Gojira albums. The hyper compression is gone, but that hasn't turned it into an audiophile masterpiece.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back