Lets Talk Metal
Apr 15, 2013 at 11:06 PM Post #9,316 of 29,661
Quote:
Aren't these the guys who don't even PLAY these songs but ProTools them?

lol yep, it was recorded at half speed
cool.gif

if you want amazing technical ability in tech death, with great mastering(eg DR of around 8-9) go listen to Antithesis or Entity by Origin, thats extreme metal at its finest

Quote:
Yeah Soup's my guess is that album will always sound like crap. Period. These guys concept of mastering is a joke.

It makes me so sad too, cause i love that friggen cd...at least the vinyl sounds a smidge better, but i definitely wont be running out to buy the rest of their vinyl like i was hoping too

OH! whats everyone think of the new Amon Amarth song????

Apr 16, 2013 at 2:24 AM Post #9,317 of 29,661

Forgot how tight this guy was when he plays. Everything just seems exactly where he wants it. No loss of control to the sound. Ugh. I need to spin my copy of Weightless again tomorrow.

Apr 16, 2013 at 4:26 AM Post #9,318 of 29,661
Quote:

Forgot how tight this guy was when he plays. Everything just seems exactly where he wants it. No loss of control to the sound. Ugh. I need to spin my copy of Weightless again tomorrow.

Animals As Leaders are just ridiculous as a band, saw them with BTBAM, They walked onstage, and told the guy in the sound desk to leave the levels alone so they could fix them themselves, they turned everything down quite a bit, made a huge difference, So much better to listen to than the previous way-too-loud presentation of the openers..

Apr 16, 2013 at 5:07 AM Post #9,319 of 29,661
Quote:

It was a rumor.  Definitely not true. They've proven they can play it live. And getting guitars recorded at half speed and then fixing them and getting them sounding non dumb in post is damn close to impossible. All the transients, attack, decay and basically everything would be completely ****ed. Guitars don't put out straight sine waves...
That said I am not even a really a fan of the album.  Ill listen to the first song occasionally when I biking downhill at near death speeds but other than that no.

Apr 16, 2013 at 5:43 AM Post #9,320 of 29,661
Quote:
Yeah I know its streaming but I haven't had a chance to really listen (just brief moments).

The word on the street is its AOY material (take that with a grain of salt).

so, is the new Ghost sound a big departure from their debut? I was kind of luke warm on their last record.

Apr 16, 2013 at 7:55 AM Post #9,323 of 29,661

Well I have never seen them live. There are a couple live YouTube vids of the band. They use drum machines which is going to loose a listening sector there. I listen to their two albums when I get sick of the Opeth or Vader or Morbid Angel.

They are fun, and not something I totally love. They are a guilty pleasure kind of like fast food.

I have never heard anyone play that fast. I don't know what the BPMs are but they are up there.

Apr 16, 2013 at 8:03 AM Post #9,324 of 29,661
No idea, it arrives today in the mail. Let you know when I write a review! :wink:

In many ways I think they are better at home with the sound of the first record. This second record is over produced and a stretch at times. It reminds me of when Black Sabbath did Technical Ecstasy, bombastic and over the top, loosing a little of the charm they had.

In time though this new one may get better with a couple spins. They could be a one trick pony though. The novelty of how they figured out Blue Oyster Cult was cool on the first record.

Apr 16, 2013 at 8:03 AM Post #9,325 of 29,661
2x

Apr 16, 2013 at 8:16 AM Post #9,326 of 29,661
Apr 16, 2013 at 12:39 PM Post #9,328 of 29,661
Quote:
I don't know how much David Axelrod you have heard, but this is totally influenced by his albums.Maybe better if someone is not used to listening to the late Electric Prunes releases which were really fully made by Axelrod with the record company putting Electric Prunes on the cover for saleability. 

If your parents made you go to church a ton as a 6 year old, you may be like many with it being your first "live" musical experience? This music is a derivative of church music, along with a perfect understanding of BOC!

Nice for me anyway to listen to something different after 33 albums of Vader!!!! lol

Here it is in full, while it lasts here.

Listened to the first few songs-sounds pretty blah to me...nothing really that interesting....

Apr 16, 2013 at 12:56 PM Post #9,329 of 29,661
So I was going back over the RSD 2013 list and see this at the top...

All That Remains - The Fall of Ideals - 12" - 1000

My head exploded. I was literally just looking for this on vinyl last week. Might not be the best Metal ever, but I love this album. Not to mention a few others for RSD this year...

Deep Purple/Type O Negative - Highway Star 7"
Lamb of God - New American Gospel
Testament - Dark Roots Covers 7"

...okay so maybe there's not a ton of good Metal this year, but I'm hype as hell for that All That Remains album.

EDIT: Forgot about the Between the Buried & Me Paralax 1 & 2 Box. If you're into them this is the only way to EVER get those at a decent price on vinyl.

Apr 16, 2013 at 2:27 PM Post #9,330 of 29,661
So I was going back over the RSD 2013 list and see this at the top...

All That Remains - The Fall of Ideals - 12" - 1000

My head exploded. I was literally just looking for this on vinyl last week. Might not be the best Metal ever, but I love this album. Not to mention a few others for RSD this year...

Deep Purple/Type O Negative - Highway Star 7"
Lamb of God - New American Gospel
Testament - Dark Roots Covers 7"

...okay so maybe there's not a ton of good Metal this year, but I'm hype as hell for that All That Remains album.

EDIT: Forgot about the Between the Buried & Me Paralax 1 & 2 Box. If you're into them this is the only way to EVER get those at a decent price on vinyl.

Yeah there's a few that I am super stoked for, Between the Buried and Me's box at close to the top. I also want the katatonia 7". As for the all that remains LP, i think it's probably the best metal core cd ever, but I asked Phil about it a few weeks back, and they didnt do a new master for the LP :/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back