Lets Talk Metal
Apr 18, 2016 at 12:20 AM Post #22,968 of 29,687
y

Any person that spent time with the 1st 1973 KISS record will see Ace is wearing the exact jewelry from that era.  I think Gene sang this song on HotterThan Hell?

Apr 18, 2016 at 2:33 AM Post #22,969 of 29,687
  And I like Christina Scabbia. She is very active on social media. I would love to see Lacuna Coil live some day.

I saw them live few years ago :)

Apr 18, 2016 at 8:20 AM Post #22,970 of 29,687
  And I like Christina Scabbia. She is very active on social media. I would love to see Lacuna Coil live some day.

Yep, she's pretty cool. I always wanted to be in a band with at least one female member.

During lunch in high school, I used to hang out at this stairway with a girl, and we decided to form our own rock band. We called it Stairway Club as an obvious reference to our hangout. lol. It wasn't a real band, though; just us hanging out in her room practicing guitar and bass. XD

A metal band I was in later on sort of had a female member, but not in the musical sense. She was the girlfriend of one of the members and just hung out with us when we practiced at a recording studio late at night, and supposedly did background work for us or something. By the time that band started performing live, I wasn't in it anymore. Although I was the lead guitarist, I was more like a session member, and didn't get involved with the fights some of the members had with each other.

Crazy thing: The time I went to see In Flames (along with Killswitch Engage and As I Lay Dying) live in 2004, my mother organized with other mothers (or something like that) to bring a few other people to the concert with us...and two of them ended up being the rhythm guitarist and bassist of the metal band I was in! Had no idea until I got in the car and they were right next to me. Apparently the bassist's mother was a fellow teacher. One of my closest friends came as well. In the middle of the concert, he picked me up so I could be seen above the audience, because they were filming lots of the concerts to be featured on the DVDs that ended up being called Used & Abused: In Live We Trust. Too bad that concert wasn't featured...

Apr 19, 2016 at 8:39 PM Post #22,971 of 29,687
Picked up up Hammer Fight-Profound and Profane and Fleshgod Apocalypse-KIng new CDs.

Printed lyrics. Hmmm. Some bands print lyrics, some don't. Some extreme metal bands lyrics are irrelevant, the vocals are just another instrument and the words may not be that important. But, clearly King has a very specific concept. There's a message they want to share.

Query. Why do metal bands print lyrics in the liner notes with font styles and sizes and that are impossible to read? Sure, you can print from the internet, but what's the point in printing if they are illegible?   Just sayin'
confused_face_2.gif

Apr 19, 2016 at 10:03 PM Post #22,972 of 29,687
  Picked up up Hammer Fight-Profound and Profane and Fleshgod Apocalypse-KIng new CDs.

Printed lyrics. Hmmm. Some bands print lyrics, some don't. Some extreme metal bands lyrics are irrelevant, the vocals are just another instrument and the words may not be that important. But, clearly King has a very specific concept. There's a message they want to share.

Query. Why do metal bands print lyrics in the liner notes with font styles and sizes and that are impossible to read? Sure, you can print from the internet, but what's the point in printing if they are illegible?   Just sayin'
confused_face_2.gif

Those art-farts love fonts. Art directors for CD lables love fonts, thus they slip under the radar. IMO

1st World Problems...........

Apr 19, 2016 at 10:09 PM Post #22,973 of 29,687
confused_face_2.gif

Metal is already an elitist form of music. The aesthetic experience packaged with the music is simply an extension of that. It adds to the mystique of it all.

The reasons for the medieval font thing should be obvious, in the context of black metal. As for other fonts and genres, that depends, I guess.

Apr 19, 2016 at 11:05 PM Post #22,974 of 29,687

Metal is already an elitist form of music. The aesthetic experience packaged with the music is simply an extension of that. It adds to the mystique of it all.

The reasons for the medieval font thing should be obvious, in the context of black metal. As for other fonts and genres, that depends, I guess.

Yep, on point. The musicians I've talked to are just into that aesthetic. They don't even really notice or care that people can't read it well, they already get told that people can't understand them. Sometimes I think it's all a big joke with some of them, while others you can tell are extremely serious about their design choices.

We metalheads are an interesting lot.

Apr 19, 2016 at 11:34 PM Post #22,975 of 29,687
[VIDEO] https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9l4JEElNPAg [/VIDEO]

.......more art.

Apr 20, 2016 at 6:20 AM Post #22,976 of 29,687
  Yep, on point. The musicians I've talked to are just into that aesthetic. They don't even really notice or care that people can't read it well, they already get told that people can't understand them. Sometimes I think it's all a big joke with some of them, while others you can tell are extremely serious about their design choices.

We metalheads are an interesting lot.

tongue_smile.gif
 Yes, I get that. Like Redcar said, this is not a 1st world problem- income inequality, peace in the middle east, printed metal lyrics? 

OTH, Bands encourage fans to purchase their music. We hear how bands get screwed on Itunes purchases and streaming. If I can find a new CD on Amazon around $10.00 I'll gladly spend the money.

I know this is kind of a silly tangent, but just to say....if I'm buying another gore/Satanic themed album. Hail Satan, disemboweled corpses. Who cares? Plenty of unoriginal, goofy or generic lyrics.

But, w/ some extreme metal, deciphering the lyrical meaning can add to my appreciation...that's all. Even something like Carcass, there's a lot of wordplay and technical writing.  Their lyrics are pretty clever. Many extreme artists lyrics (for me) work as an anchor or give the structure that make abstract sound make more sense-DSO, Gorguts. All those melodeth existential lyrics. The dark poetry of Opeth, all those mythical Norse plotlines, obscure gnostic occults, etc., etc.

So, with a band like Fleshgod; they've been on my radar, but I've never listened to them. Positive review's, I streamed the album, liked the sound and picked up the album. Clearly a lot of thought has gone into the concept. There's a story. Each song seems to be from a different character or viewpoint.  Meticulous integration of orchestration, extreme, clean and operatic lyrics. Shakespeare put a lot of thought into his words, too and didn't print them for his audiences. But, the words were spoken, not growled.

Maybe I'm crazy, but if I plunk down a few $, and there's a clear artistic literary message, I'd like to be able read the dang lyrics. Rant over. On to world hunger and global warming.

Apr 20, 2016 at 10:22 AM Post #22,977 of 29,687

tongue_smile.gif
 Yes, I get that. Like Redcar said, this is not a 1st world problem- income inequality, peace in the middle east, printed metal lyrics? 

OTH, Bands encourage fans to purchase their music. We hear how bands get screwed on Itunes purchases and streaming. If I can find a new CD on Amazon around $10.00 I'll gladly spend the money.

I know this is kind of a silly tangent, but just to say....if I'm buying another gore/Satanic themed album. Hail Satan, disemboweled corpses. Who cares? Plenty of unoriginal, goofy or generic lyrics.

But, w/ some extreme metal, deciphering the lyrical meaning can add to my appreciation...that's all. Even something like Carcass, there's a lot of wordplay and technical writing.  Their lyrics are pretty clever. Many extreme artists lyrics (for me) work as an anchor or give the structure that make abstract sound make more sense-DSO, Gorguts. All those melodeth existential lyrics. The dark poetry of Opeth, all those mythical Norse plotlines, obscure gnostic occults, etc., etc.

So, with a band like Fleshgod; they've been on my radar, but I've never listened to them. Positive review's, I streamed the album, liked the sound and picked up the album. Clearly a lot of thought has gone into the concept. There's a story. Each song seems to be from a different character or viewpoint.  Meticulous integration of orchestration, extreme, clean and operatic lyrics. Shakespeare put a lot of thought into his words, too and didn't print them for his audiences. But, the words were spoken, not growled.

Maybe I'm crazy, but if I plunk down a few $, and there's a clear artistic literary message, I'd like to be able read the dang lyrics. Rant over. On to world hunger and global warming.

Totally agree with you as well. Some bands have fantastic stories woven into their music. Arkaik has two albums about a whole universe the vocalist has created, it's rad. I generally go to dark lyrics for looking stuff up, but yeah a lot of extreme metal bands aren't going to be on there, and in that case it would be nice if they would just make their lyrics legible. It's not like they're being super original with their dumb fonts.

Apr 20, 2016 at 11:15 AM Post #22,978 of 29,687

Totally agree with you as well. Some bands have fantastic stories woven into their music. Arkaik has two albums about a whole universe the vocalist has created, it's rad. I generally go to dark lyrics for looking stuff up, but yeah a lot of extreme metal bands aren't going to be on there, and in that case it would be nice if they would just make their lyrics legible. It's not like they're being super original with their dumb fonts.

Exactly! I go to Dark Lyrics too, sometimes.

Apr 20, 2016 at 11:58 AM Post #22,979 of 29,687
  All those melodeth existential lyrics.

Maybe I'm crazy, but if I plunk down a few $, and there's a clear artistic literary message, I'd like to be able read the dang lyrics.

Soilwork's lyrics are so...ambiguous and metaphorical.

Don't worry: people like me type up the lyrics and publish them on Metal-Archives! Even obscure bands have lyrics available there.

Apr 20, 2016 at 12:02 PM Post #22,980 of 29,687

Soilwork's lyrics are so...ambiguous and metaphorical.

Don't worry: people like me type up the lyrics and publish them on Metal-Archives! Even obscure bands have lyrics available there.

Thank you for your service
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back