Leckerton Audio Slimline UHA-4
May 29, 2011 at 2:06 AM Post #436 of 1,075
The UHA4 can be ordered w/ the OPA209 also.  Nick says it's one of TI's newest so there isn't much info.  Thinking of giving it a listen and doing the 8610 in the UHA6 and a few others too.  I'm curious how the Cirrus Logic in the 6 compares to my DACPort.

The DACPort is superb and was eerily similar to an AudioGD desktop SabreDAC/Amp.  The similarity was uncanny to my ears.  I was going to just mod my DACPort to <1 ohm but CEtrance wants $100 for the service now.  That opens up the chance to try other stuff instead.  If it doesn't work out then I'll just bite the bullet on the mod.  >.<  My ES5's don't like 10 ohms out at all.  

May 29, 2011 at 4:58 AM Post #437 of 1,075

Quote:
I'm thinking of giving the UHA6 w/ OPA627s a shot.  The PB2 should drive them also w/ 32V of swing balanced and you could play w/ the opamps.

Hmmm we'll see, if I can find something that can do for the HD800's what the UHA-4 does for the HD650's I'll probably not visit Head-fi 1/4 as often. (The UHA-4 drives them REALLY well)
By the way Anaxilus, if you need to borrow my UHA-4 I can ship it to you, unless you'd like to pick it up, lemmie know. (I was waiting for the E11 to arrive)

May 29, 2011 at 3:02 PM Post #439 of 1,075

Quote:
Hmmm we'll see, if I can find something that can do for the HD800's what the UHA-4 does for the HD650's I'll probably not visit Head-fi 1/4 as often. (The UHA-4 drives them REALLY well)
By the way Anaxilus, if you need to borrow my UHA-4 I can ship it to you, unless you'd like to pick it up, lemmie know. (I was waiting for the E11 to arrive)

That sounds great.  I'll go ahead and pick up a '4' w/ the 209 then.  I'll PM you when it's gonna come in and we can work it out.  Much appreciated.

May 29, 2011 at 5:38 PM Post #440 of 1,075
There is no question that the Dacport's DAC is superior to that in the UHA-4.  But the UHA-4 DAC, does just fine for my headphones - Monster Copper, MD and the latest - Denon 560R (which are quite a nice surprise for their price) - very similar sound sig to the Monster maybe not quite as a refined and a tad more sibilliant (or simply not as smooth...) but very clear detailed and natural sound with plenty of bass that does not muddy up the midrange.

May 30, 2011 at 2:01 AM Post #441 of 1,075
Well I would be using the DAC with my headphones and iems more so. Not sure of any way to get the DAC to drive my 5.1 speakers. I'm not aware of a cable to accomplish this :wink:.  The SRT Streamer I was looking at is the more expensive one and it is supposedly quite a bit better than the $150.00 version. It is $345.00 for the SRT Streamer II+ and from the reviews I've red on it it really sounds good. I would use my Fiio E9 to control the volume on it as I have read that the Fiio E9 is a very good amp in actuality; what is holding it back is the E7.

May 30, 2011 at 3:05 AM Post #442 of 1,075
If your 5.1 speakers are driven by a receiver, just use a mini stereo to dual RCA cable to connect the UHA-4 headphone out to any of your receiver's analog inputs.  But chances are, your receiver might have a pretty good dac already.  If you are using computer speakers, then you'd probably just need a mini to mini cable.  If you are using a receiver, the receiver should be able to do Dolby Pro Logic or whatever DSP it has to create a 5.1 signal out of the stereo signal.  If you are using computer 5.1 speakers that are fed the 5.1 signal out of a sound card, then you won't be able to get 5.1 out of the UHA-4 - only stereo.

I have the HRT Streamer II, the $150 version and is fine - I see no reason to go up to the more than twice as expensive II+.  You'd be better off buying better speakers.  The biggest issue with the volume control is channel imbalance.  If you are feeding speakers at low to moderate volume, it becomes quite apparent if the volume control is descent.  This is the reason, I got rid of the uDac-2, it was really bad in that regard. I've tried a couple of controls, although HRT is recommending an NHT one, which is probably good, it costs $100.  I've tried a $75 Electronic Pilot and while better than the uDac-2, it still had pretty audible channel imbalance.  Currently, using a Fostex PC-1, which is quite good and very reasonable priced plus it matches my Macbook Pro nicely as it is silver aluminum color with a black knob and marks.  If you are using a receiver, you don't need to worry about it.

May 30, 2011 at 2:09 PM Post #443 of 1,075
I have logitech Z5500 Speakers so you think a min to mini cable would work for them with the Streamer II? Yeah I wasn't really sure if the + is worth it or not. Do you think the Streamer II is better than the Dacport? If so then I think I would be happy with it. I mainly want the Streamer II for home listening at my desktop and don't really need the portability.

May 30, 2011 at 2:21 PM Post #444 of 1,075
For the streamer you would need dual RCA to mini but you will not get 5.1 signal - only stereo.  So, if you current sound card is putting out a 5.1 signal to your speakers, the streamer will be a downgrade in that regard.

May 30, 2011 at 2:21 PM Post #445 of 1,075

Yeah I passed on the e11 as well. I figured why the heck am I gonna waste $70.00 on it when I have a way better amp anyways. I'm more excited about the X3 and E17. But if the Streamer II is better which it probably will be but can't tell until the E17 releases, then there's no point getting that as well. Boy is this hobby dangerous to the pocket :wink:.
Quote:

Thanks, even though it probably didn't have a place in my rotation of toys, was tempted to try it out for kicks due to its immense hype of late. 

Just saved me $70 bucks, hey that's almost a nights worth of drinks, which is always good :)

May 30, 2011 at 2:24 PM Post #447 of 1,075
I normally run my logitech speakers on stereo anyways. The stereo 2 setting allows me to run all the speakers in stereo mode so I get balanced audio, or at least more so balanced audio on them. I honestly can't stand the 5.1 setting unless its a movie that would utilize it. For music its a no go.

May 30, 2011 at 2:27 PM Post #448 of 1,075
I would think that getting better stereo speakers would help a lot better than putting more money in a dac.  You can check out the Behringer Truth with ribbon tweeter for example but there are other options as well.  I've briefly tried the HRT into UHA-4 and the result was excellent, however, the price and inconvenience for such a setup makes the Dacport the preferred choice.  If you don't need an amp, however, and are feeding powered speakers, a streamer is all you need.

May 30, 2011 at 2:27 PM Post #449 of 1,075

I wish someone could chime in and compare the Streamer II to the Dacport. I would figure the extra premium for the Dacport would also be due to the included amp section in it. It seems going the pure DAC route would yield better overall sound quality.
Quote:
The streamer is probably better than many dacs (and it's doubtful the Fiio would put out anything that beats it) because it offers the technically superior asynchronous USB mode.  

May 30, 2011 at 2:31 PM Post #450 of 1,075

Quote:
I would think that getting better stereo speakers would help a lot better than putting more money in a dac.  You can check out the Behringer Truth with ribbon tweeter for example but there are other options as well.  I've briefly tried the HRT into UHA-4 and the result was excellent, however, the price and inconvenience for such a setup makes the Dacport the preferred choice.  If you don't need an amp, however, and are feeding powered speakers, a streamer is all you need.

Yeah I think Im set on getting one of the streamers at this point. My biggest use for the Streamer would be for my headphones and IEM's at my desktop listening to mainly flac files. A possible connection to my speakers would be a plus and I'm sure a major upgrade in sound from my X-fi Titanium sound card. Even the E7 sounds better than the X-fi lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back