Lear LCM-5 - new entry into the "reference" class custom IEM segment (FINAL REVIEW ADDED 10-3-12)
Oct 31, 2012 at 8:51 AM Post #31 of 67
Actually Clip+ will behave quite well with multi-driver IEM like LCM-5 as it has very low output impedance and good current output.

Nov 14, 2012 at 11:41 PM Post #33 of 67
I was checking out the LCM-5 from an ancient Earmax Pro tube amp the other day. Using the Monitor Sound adapter, it actually sounded quite unexpectedly good. I referred it to the HD600 and DT880/600 I tried with the amp, which would normally be considered better pairings for that amp since it is an OTL design with a higher output impedance. 

This just highlights the value of the Monitor Sound adapter. Until the Heir Audio Tzar 350 is released next month, there really isn't any other high impedance IEMs that will be truly happy with most tube amps. 

Nov 15, 2012 at 9:17 AM Post #34 of 67
Just received mine. Got a perfect fit so very happy with that. No CIEMs i have had yet fit these well but they are not as snug. The finish looks great but am not too sure about the cable they include. Considering it is what you get with cheap IEMs like brainwavs or visang. Will definitely be giving this one of my upgrade cables.

I also have the monitor adapter and although i do not have any huge desktop amps, i will be giving it some juice :wink:

Nov 15, 2012 at 10:35 AM Post #35 of 67
I believe they are working on a new cable though, just not finish it yet.

Nov 15, 2012 at 11:23 AM Post #37 of 67
When I first got my LCM-2b I thought the cable sucked. Then I actually used it for a while and found that it actually had some high points. It seems very sturdy, and is quite comfortable with no memory wire. I also like the angled plug better than the typical 90 degree or straight plug. But it coils up and gets annoying more easily than the typical Westone cables, so it's a trade off.

I see your point about being the same cable as a $50 IEM, and that being somewhat of a turn off. But keep in mind that my $1299 Heir 8.A has the same cable as my $130 Cosmic Pure Plus. If it works, it works, and the aftermarket exists to replace it if you don't like it. 

Nov 15, 2012 at 1:43 PM Post #38 of 67
I say all of this because I have always disliked it on the cheaper IEMs, I have always write about it as a weak point. As for the jack that is a nice feature but as you said, it's coiling is very annoying and I really don't like the feel. As for the no memory wire that is a plus but this has a mind of its own and does not want to stay over my ear. I think the standard westone works great in customs, have not a major complain about it. As for the sound, so far loving it, like an Ety on steroids. Obviously I have not heard enough to go any further. That adapter really changes things up.

Back to cable Tatco confirmed a new one is being made and I will have one got over to me when made avaliable, I was honest and told him my concerns with the cable.

EDIT:

Tatco just told me what he uses in the cable and it is premium materials. On closer inspection it is noticeable thicker than what my cheap IEMs use, same coating, y-split and jack but better insights. Physically i am not a fan at the moment but i have been initially harsh on it, also as it is a slightly different cable, i may get to like it more so i was completely wrong.

Nov 16, 2012 at 11:09 PM Post #39 of 67
While I am still working on the PRM review, I have the LCM-5 back and it is much much better than the original.  The sound is very clean and neutral with good ability.  I think it will at least stack up well with the competition in the price range.

Nov 16, 2012 at 11:56 PM Post #40 of 67
Cool, that's good news.

I really dig the LCM-5. It's like the perfect counterpoint to my warmer CIEMs like the 8.A and UM Merlin, without being annoyingly bright or sounding too thin. I like how it can be ravishingly clear one moment, then kick like a mule when the music calls for it. It's very nimble if that makes any sense at all.

Nov 17, 2012 at 6:30 AM Post #41 of 67
Yes, 86, this is something to go along with something warmer and more fun. The bass is actually really impressive, low end texture is very impressive and it does really pick up when needed. The speed of these is the most insane thing though, can you get too fast? Perhaps because the decay is a bit quick. Also these are not for everyday fun IEMs, why they are nice next to something warmer because they are pretty nasty to poor recordings.

Nov 17, 2012 at 10:13 AM Post #42 of 67
Quote:
Cool, that's good news.
I really dig the LCM-5. It's like the perfect counterpoint to my warmer CIEMs like the 8.A and UM Merlin, without being annoyingly bright or sounding too thin. I like how it can be ravishingly clear one moment, then kick like a mule when the music calls for it. It's very nimble if that makes any sense at all.

Great description...they are a reference "neutral" sound but not too bright nor too thin and surprisingly capable.

Nov 28, 2012 at 5:41 AM Post #43 of 67
Here is my unboxing video:

Review Video uploading now!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back