LCD-2 VS Grado RS1 for Rock
Aug 24, 2011 at 9:15 PM Post #46 of 230

Quote:
Just gonna chime in on this RA-1 thing here. 

It's a fine amp for the RS1, but if you really want to take an RS1 as far as you can you'll want to get a Melos SHA-1 or SHA-Gold. I hear the MAD Ear + and its relations are fantastic matches too. 

Of the three, I found the SHA-Gold and Ear+HD about as good as it got with the RS1s. The RA1 was nice (owned it too), but not on the same level IMO.

Nov 8, 2011 at 7:13 PM Post #47 of 230
Interesting discussion here. My brother sold all his headphones to purchase the LCD-2 which he is happy with. I thought I'd do the same, but can't bring myself to do it because I still like different signatures for different types of music. Someone mentioned the LCD-2 as being a refined D-5000. I couldn't agree more. And my brother mentioned the same thing. So it's either sell off my RS1i, D-5000, and DT880 600ohm to purchase the LCD-2 or stick with what I've got and have become accustomed to. I just can't imagine listening to all my varied music through the LCD-2 signature. When I want that signature, the D-5000 suits me just fine. I just don't think it's possible to have it all with one headphone. I certainly don't have it all either with my gear, but at least it's more varied and I have a choice. Just my 2 cents.

Dec 26, 2011 at 9:11 PM Post #48 of 230

Quote:
I think the very different signatures you get with the RS1 and LCD-2 make it hard to pin point exactly which one is "better" for rock music. This is particularly true when you consider the broad array of music that such a title can encompass. Truth be told, I can listen to "rock" from either one (properly amped of course) and be extremely happy. If you asked me today, I could not pick one over the other.

With that said, when listening to harder rock especially (ex: AC/DC) I think the Grado 325is edges past both cans and truly displays the visceral emotion that rock embodies.

But in the end it's all personal preference.

Nice...I look forward to the experience personally!

Dec 27, 2011 at 9:12 AM Post #49 of 230
I havent heard the RS1 but I have heard the grado SR60i. Different price points completely but on occasions I still prefer the grados. Main reason is the treble and aggression. LCD2s are very accurate but also laid back. For rock I prefer a more aggressive sound that makes riffs sound heavy and guitar solos searing hot :p But this is all my opinion of course. What u are looking for in ur headphones determine which headphones to get I suppose.

Dec 27, 2011 at 10:47 AM Post #50 of 230
I also think, well I KNOW, that amplification, interconnects and source also are a huge influence....anyway...Ill post some A/B in this thread between my RS1i and new to me LCD-2 (rev1) when they arrive...SANTA was a bit slow BUT I am understanding as long as he delivers eventually

Dec 28, 2011 at 6:26 AM Post #51 of 230

Quote:
I haven't heard the RS1 but I have heard the grado SR60i. Different price points completely but on occasions I still prefer the grados. Main reason is the treble and aggression. LCD2s are very accurate but also laid back. For rock I prefer a more aggressive sound that makes riffs sound heavy and guitar solos searing hot :p But this is all my opinion of course. What u are looking for in ur headphones determine which headphones to get I suppose.

That's just like saying "I have heard the RS1's but I've heard apple ear buds" the sr series*apart from the 325is* are the complete opposite of the RS and PS series*the GS can go straight to hell*

Dec 28, 2011 at 6:44 AM Post #52 of 230

And

http://s2.postimage.org/5dgkywm47/Grado_RA1_Headphone_Amplifier_Schematic.png

The CMOY is not a bad amp, most of the portable amps are an iteration of that design, but paying 350$ for a 60$ amp in a wooden box... For that money one can build a M3.

Dec 28, 2011 at 9:31 AM Post #53 of 230
OK, FINALLY...listening to my RS-1i with IBASSO D6, USB from computer Beethoven stream...they are a phenomenal phone, very easy to drive, 10:00 is fine...great forward soundstage; for me they are a perfect balance, I have a small head and ears so they fit great stock...I dont think anyone would be disappointed with these phones...LCD-2 should be here tomorrow but wont get to listen for a few...cant head-fi with toddlers running around....LOL, though they do look cute with the phones on...LOL

Dec 28, 2011 at 11:29 AM Post #54 of 230

RS1i  powered by the IBASSO P4, sourced by CD via the IBASSO DB1

Very full sound...listening to Coltrane (Interplay boxed set)....I feel as if I am in the studio behind the glass monitoring the session!

Dec 30, 2011 at 9:23 PM Post #55 of 230

Quote:

RS1i  powered by the IBASSO P4, sourced by CD via the IBASSO DB1

Very full sound...listening to Coltrane (Interplay boxed set)....I feel as if I am in the studio behind the glass monitoring the session!

Grado are the most intimate headphones IMO. The LCD2's are for sure on my must buy list after listening to them but they just don't have that Grado sound.

Dec 30, 2011 at 10:59 PM Post #56 of 230

Quote:
Grado are the most intimate headphones IMO. The LCD2's are for sure on my must buy list after listening to them but they just don't have that Grado sound.

Why would they? That's John Grado's filter on a set of Grados.
smile.gif

Dec 31, 2011 at 12:15 AM Post #57 of 230
I'm saying they don't have the intimacy with music like Grados do. Yea they sound amazing and have killer sound stage but they just don't have the "Private session" feeling if you will that I get with Grados.

Dec 31, 2011 at 4:29 AM Post #59 of 230

Quote:
Sounds like you would like my Yamaha supraaural orthos
wink_face.gif

Dude....okay I'm being dead serious, would you let me barrow them? I would pay shipping, I have feed back and I have yet to give anyone the finger.

Woop, didn't see you had them for sale. I would certainly like to try them before I buy them.

Dec 31, 2011 at 6:32 AM Post #60 of 230

Quote:
I'm saying they don't have the intimacy with music like Grados do. Yea they sound amazing and have killer sound stage but they just don't have the "Private session" feeling if you will that I get with Grados.

I dont know about that one at all, I have not done much listening with the LCD-2 yet but they are very intimate phones

Users who are viewing this thread

Back