LCD-2 VS Grado RS1 for Rock
Aug 19, 2011 at 5:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 230

sling5s

Headphoneus Supremus
I know there are many LCD-2 verses...threads...
But I would like to hear some comparative comments and opinions on those who have or had both and how they feel about Rock on these two headphones (especially for electric guitars). I know the Grado RS1 are extremely colored in the upper mids/lower treble and the LCD-2 extremely flat.  Nevertheless, I think it will be fun to compare.  Both excel at mids and both are extremely musical. I know there are die hard Grado fans and Audeze fans.
Those who have or had both (r.1 & r.2) versions of the LCD-2 are more than welcomed to compare both to the Grado RS1(i).

I for one have personally been a die hard Grado fan and loved the RS1 and felt I would never give them up.  But my ears having adjusted to the LCD-2, the Grado's sounded way too thin and bright.  I don't know what happened but I could not go back.  I was ruined for good.  I get the cravings for the Grados sound now and than but...I wonder if I can ever go back.

Edit:
My Grado RS1 were amped by: MAD EAR HD & Grado RA-1
My LCD-2 amped by Lyr

Aug 19, 2011 at 5:05 PM Post #2 of 230
For simple listening, go Grado.

I find the LCD-2 nice, for people who want to analyze the music they hear instead of simply listen and feel the music.

That's why I like Grado because other then the PS1000, they make them to be heard rather to be listened to. Difficult I know.

You need to get a RA-1 amp to push the RS1 to the limit. No other amp pairs better.

Aug 19, 2011 at 5:09 PM Post #3 of 230

Quote:
You need to get a RA-1 amp to push the RS1 to the limit. No other amp pairs better.

Are you sure?

Aug 19, 2011 at 5:13 PM Post #5 of 230

Quote:
Are you sure?

The Grado RA-1 is the best amp to pair to a Grado.

It's horrible for any other can, it's kinda like a Grado Lover's collectors item

Aug 19, 2011 at 5:49 PM Post #6 of 230
I'm a big time Grado-head, but I've never heard anything higher-end than my Woodied 225i. 

However, I just got an LCD-2 last week, and then another member of this board just loaned me his Alessandro MS-Pro which just arrived today. I'm definitely looking forward to doing some side-by-side comparisons in the coming week. 

With that said, the LCD-2 has so far been very good for every genre I've thrown at it. But, even my lowly woodied SR60i (that's in my profile picture) is more fun and engaging for rock, even if it doesn't quite measure up technically. 

Aug 19, 2011 at 6:40 PM Post #8 of 230

You don't need an amp at all to push the RS1 to the limit.

The Grado RA-1 is the best amp to pair to a Grado.

It's horrible for any other can, it's kinda like a Grado Lover's collectors item

Why, because it's made by the same company? Have they ever produced any other amp? What makes you think it's good?

If an amp is horrible for all but one brand of headphone, I think it's best avoided, especially at its price.

Aug 19, 2011 at 9:11 PM Post #9 of 230
Aug 19, 2011 at 9:16 PM Post #10 of 230

Quote:
I know there are many LCD-2 verses...threads...
But I would like to hear some comparative comments and opinions on those who have or had both and how they feel about Rock on these two headphones (especially for electric guitars). I know the Grado RS1 are extremely colored in the upper mids/lower treble and the LCD-2 extremely flat.  Nevertheless, I think it will be fun to compare.  Both excel at mids and both are extremely musical. I know there are die hard Grado fans and Audeze fans.
Those who have or had both (r.1 & r.2) versions of the LCD-2 are more than welcomed to compare both to the Grado RS1(i).

I for one have personally been a die hard Grado fan and loved the RS1 and felt I would never give them up.  But my ears having adjusted to the LCD-2, the Grado's sounded way too thin and bright.  I don't know what happened but I could not go back.  I was ruined for good.  I get the cravings for the Grados sound now and than but...I wonder if I can ever go back.

Edit:
My Grado RS1 were amped by: MAD EAR HD & Grado RA-1
My LCD-2 amped by Lyr

I've owned both the RS1 and RS1i and also happened to also own the MAD Ear+HD at the same time. A fabulous combination for rock/metal....one of my absolute favourites.
L3000.gif

That said, I've sold them off and don't miss them one bit with my LCD-2s and Lyr (and WA22 for that matter).

Aug 19, 2011 at 9:28 PM Post #11 of 230

Quote:
I've owned both the RS1 and RS1i and also happened to also own the MAD Ear+HD at the same time. A fabulous combination for rock/metal....one of my absolute favourites.
L3000.gif

That said, I've sold them off and don't miss them one bit with my LCD-2s and Lyr (and WA22 for that matter).

I bet you dont, Grado's are the best rock cans, but the LCD-2 are a totally different headphone.

Aug 19, 2011 at 9:41 PM Post #12 of 230
In what ways do you prefer your LCD-2 over your past Grados?

L3000.gif

Aug 19, 2011 at 9:53 PM Post #13 of 230

Quote:
In what ways do you prefer your LCD-2 over your past Grados?

Basically everything.
smile.gif

The bass on the LCD-2s doesn't roll off at 60Hz, the sound imaging is several steps up, the mids are the best I've heard and the treble is more realistic. Simply put, the LCD-2s are my king of rock/metal headphones.

Aug 19, 2011 at 10:12 PM Post #14 of 230

Quote:
Basically everything.
smile.gif

The bass on the LCD-2s doesn't roll off at 60Hz, the sound imaging is several steps up, the mids are the best I've heard and the treble is more realistic. Simply put, the LCD-2s are my king of rock/metal headphones.

King at rock? Shouldn't the RS1's be that. Arn't the LCD-2 best for other genre's of music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back