LCD-2, LCD-3, Owners and the Music They Love...
Jun 18, 2011 at 8:55 AM Post #211 of 1,111
Oh man, I'm away from head-fi for a day and I got 30+ posts of music to sift through 
biggrin.gif

Jun 18, 2011 at 9:56 AM Post #212 of 1,111

Quote:
Joni Mitchell "Blue" - great suggestion and introduction to those of us who don't really know her music.  I was being a little shy with my amp, turned it up and her voice was just blowing my mind.  Great artist.  I can now see where singers like Jewel, who is more from my generation, got inspiration. 

Miles Davis "Kind of Blue" - another great suggestion.  As someone else mentioned, the recording isn't so great, maybe better played on speakers than headphones?

You're right. Miles Davis Kind of Blue sounds incredible on my speakers. The soundstage seems extremely small on my LCD-2 in comparison.

Jun 18, 2011 at 11:41 AM Post #214 of 1,111

Quote:
You're right. Miles Davis Kind of Blue sounds incredible on my speakers. The soundstage seems extremely small on my LCD-2 in comparison.

A lot of Jazz from that time does not sound its best on headphones.  I don't alway agree on the style of mixing used on many of the recordings from that era particularly the placement of the drums which often seems to be rendered either left or right channel.   

Jun 18, 2011 at 12:12 PM Post #215 of 1,111

Quote:
Is this the new album?   I have it but I haven't heard it yet.

Yes, that's the new album.  It was leaked early online but comes out on cd Tuesday

Quote:
A lot of Jazz from that time does not sound its best on headphones.  I don't alway agree on the style of mixing used on many of the recordings from that era particularly the placement of the drums which often seems to be rendered either left or right channel.   

I've noticed too that jazz sounds kinda awkward (the imaging seems off) on headphones but even my cheap studio monitors sound incredible with Coltrane, Davis.  I got interested in jazz from "Us and Them" on "Dark Side of the Moon" and now have several Coltrane and Davis recordings.  Love listening to it late at night or while chilling at the pool.  Still have to get some Mingus and maybe some more jazz rock like Zappa.....

Jun 21, 2011 at 2:49 AM Post #217 of 1,111

Hot Chip, Crap Kraft dinner, CD:Coming On Strong.

Hot Chip, Playboy, CD:Coming On Strong.

Blur, Jets, CD: Think Tank

Basia Bulat, I Was A Daughter, CD:Oh, My Darling

Nick Cave & Warren Ellis, Song For Jesse, CD: The Assassination Of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford

Flogging Molly, If I Ever Leave This World Alive, CD: P.S. I Love You

Mei Tei Sho, Touron, CD: Digitalic Park

Jun 21, 2011 at 2:56 AM Post #219 of 1,111

Gogol Bordello, Sun On My Side, CD: Trans-Continental Hustle

Gogol Bordello, Alcohol, CD: Super Taranta!

Gogol Bordello, Illumination, CD: Gypsy Punks (Underdog World Strike)

Gogol Bordello,Tribal Connection, CD: Super Taranta!

Gogol Bordello, Through The Roof 'n' Underground, CD: Wristcutters: A Love Story

Jun 21, 2011 at 11:57 PM Post #222 of 1,111
Sarah Mclachlan - Mirrorball

Porcupine Tree - Lazarus(single)

Pink Floyd (My favorite artist and I love all their albums...even more so if I'm stoned 
wink.gif
) - The Wall(CD1 and CD2), Dark Side of the Moon, Pulse

Led Zepellin - Led Zepellin IV

Gregorian Chant - Chapter I and IV

Coke Studio - Season 1 and 2

Jun 22, 2011 at 12:10 AM Post #223 of 1,111
Didn't run out, Warriorant - just working my butt off and no time for listening lately. 

Speaking of Talk Talk - you might have noticed that one of my 10 Desert Island Disks includes Mark Hollis' self-titled album, which is hauntingly beautiful and intimate.  It is definitely not for everyone. I'd call it rather Zen and melancholic....sparse and stark. In fact my favorite cut has only a few words of lyrics, but says so much in those words: Inside Looking Out.  I think Talk Talk's later albums more closely resembled his only solo effort.  If you happen to like that particular kind of dark and sparse music, this one is great on headphones as there are quite a few environmental cues like creaking chairs and sounds that suggest the very non-studio environment in which it was recorded. 

Quote:

Talk Talk - Spirit of Eden

Jun 22, 2011 at 11:11 AM Post #225 of 1,111

Quote:
I will check that out. I was just recently introduced to the Talk Talk album by a fellow head-fier.

As I said, it's not for everyone.  Obviously its very much for me, but if you don't like the descriptors I used, it's probably not your cup of tea.  It's kind of like ambient music...a bit of jazz...just a touch of pop perhaps, but not much.  Well, here...this is my favorite cut, and everything else on the album is pretty similar so if you don't like this (the music, not the visual), then don't bother:

Here are the lyrics for that 6 minute song:

Feel my skin Lord
Feel my luck tumbling down
Left no life no more

Turn my seasons turn
Lived in much younger times
Left no life no more
For me to shine

And from the Wiki on that self-titled album (his only solo effort outside of Talk Talk)

Mark Hollis is the only solo album by the former Talk Talk frontman Mark Hollis. It was released on Polydor on 2 February 1998, then reissued on Pond Life on 13 March 2000. In 2003, the album was released in LP format on Universal Records.[2] Its sound is noted for being extremely sparse and minimal; AllMusic called it "quite possibly the most quiet and intimate record ever made".[2] Hollis found inspiration not in the popular music of the day, but rather in 20th-century classical music and jazz from the late fifties and sixties.[3] The album did not mark a return for Hollis to the music industry or live performance: he stated at the time of the album's release that "There won't be any gig, not even at home in the living room. This material isn't suited to play live."[4]

And here's that allmusic review quoted in the wik, which is spot-oni:

We'll start with Mark Hollis' solo record. Similar to Laughing Stock but more bare, this is another album you can lose yourself in.

Achingly gorgeous and hauntingly stark, Mark Hollis' self-titled debut picks up where he left off with Talk Talk's Laughing Stock seven years earlier, re-emerging at the nexus point where jazz, ambient, and folk music collide. It's quite possibly the most quiet and intimate record ever made, each song cut to the bone for maximum emotional impact and every note carrying enormous meaning. Hollis paints his music in fine, exquisite strokes, with an uncanny mastery of atmosphere that's frequently devastating. And if anything, his singularly resonant voice has grown even more plaintive with the passage of time, which -- combined with the understated artistry and minimalist beauty of tracks like "The Colour of Spring" and "Watershed" -- makes Mark Hollis a truly unique and indelible listening experience. His obvious understanding of the power of silence aside, one prays he doesn't again wait for the seven-year itch to strike before returning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back