LCD-2 / Bifrost / Lyr
Nov 5, 2011 at 10:21 PM Post #31 of 39
I've got the V100 - probably not for much longer though. Definitely less resolving and transparent than the Concerto, though just as neutral. Differences are much larger and easy to hear compared to Concerto/Lyr.

However, the V200 - which I have not heard - has a different topology I understand.

Headfiers I respect rate it highly. I also understand there's a balanced version coming out next year, the 282.

Nov 5, 2011 at 10:26 PM Post #32 of 39

Quote:
I've got the V100 - probably not for much longer though. Definitely less resolving and transparent than the Concerto, though just as neutral. Differences are much larger and easy to hear compared to Concerto/Lyr.

However, the V200 - which I have not heard - has a different topology I understand.

Headfiers I respect rate it highly. I also understand there's a balanced version coming out next year, the 282.

Have you heard the Burson 160? If so how did you find it compared to your V100?

Nov 5, 2011 at 11:12 PM Post #33 of 39
Sorry, no.

Given a thread (sorry don't have it to hand, but you may well have seen it) which reported three headfiers' listening comparison of the Burson and Concerto and failed to find any meaningful differences SQ wise, I suspect the 160 would also show large differences over the V100.

What I like about the V100 though is its neutrality and effortlessness. There's a "rightness" about its mids despite my preference for the Lyr and Concerto. Where it falls behind - to my ears - is in (a) bass definition; (b) treble extension. Concerto has more "air", despite also being a touch sweet up high.

I can, therefore, well imagine that the V200 retains this mid-rightness but "fixes" (this may not be the right word - we may be in "ears" and "preferences" territory) or improves the bass control and treble extension.  

Nov 6, 2011 at 1:32 AM Post #35 of 39

Quote:
Sorry, no.

Given a thread (sorry don't have it to hand, but you may well have seen it) which reported three headfiers' listening comparison of the Burson and Concerto and failed to find any meaningful differences SQ wise, I suspect the 160 would also show large differences over the V100.

What I like about the V100 though is its neutrality and effortlessness. There's a "rightness" about its mids despite my preference for the Lyr and Concerto. Where it falls behind - to my ears - is in (a) bass definition; (b) treble extension. Concerto has more "air", despite also being a touch sweet up high.

I can, therefore, well imagine that the V200 retains this mid-rightness but "fixes" (this may not be the right word - we may be in "ears" and "preferences" territory) or improves the bass control and treble extension.  

I'm seeing a lot of local customers love the combo Burson 160D with the LCD-2 but I still prefer the Rega + V200 combination
myself. I find the Burson has a little bit of warmth that I find too cosy in combination with the fairly forgiving LCD-2 rev2.

Nov 6, 2011 at 2:01 AM Post #36 of 39
I think I heard some others mention Burson warmth. I can imagine that might be too much - the Lyr with Lcd2 (rev 1 in my case) was syrupy with the stock E88CC. Fixed completely with better tubes.

Nov 6, 2011 at 2:20 AM Post #37 of 39

Quote:
I think I heard some others mention Burson warmth. I can imagine that might be too much - the Lyr with Lcd2 (rev 1 in my case) was syrupy with the stock E88CC. Fixed completely with better tubes.

There's another Aussie on here from Melbourne who's selling his Lyr + upgraded tubes at the moment, he didn't
have it there for audition on the day when he picked up his brand new V200 but his lament was that he felt the Lyr was
too forward for his liking, he reckoned the V200 pulled him back a few rows to a position that he liked
personally.

Oct 24, 2012 at 5:44 PM Post #39 of 39
Hi,
I am reviving this old thread with the following question:
My current system is iPod 5G > Schitt Lyr > LCD2.
Would adding Schiitt Bifrost DAC change a lot (soundwise) in my system?
With Bifrost my system would look like: Laptop > JKenny Hiface MK3 (that I really have) > Schiitt Bifrost > Schitt Lyr > LCD2
I am quite satisfied with the sound I am getting from my LCD2 even if the source/DAC is a classic iPod.
Please advise.
Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back