Lateralus = The Best Tool album
Oct 29, 2003 at 7:35 PM Post #16 of 32
Quote:

Originally posted by johnny sack
haha i guess maybe i don't see it
wink.gif

anything in particular that reminds you of such a thing?

tool uses similar sounding prog-rock chord changes, similar sounding guitar effects, the drummer if fond of tricky tom runs and intricate interactions with the bass that are very rush-like. even the synth patches sound like rush to me. this is not a knock, if you are going to take cues from any band, you could do a lot worse than rush.

Nov 1, 2003 at 12:49 AM Post #18 of 32
I am only 21, so I didn't get into Rush during their prime years, so for me, its Tool - not to take anything away from Rush, but, I have listened to each Tool album as they have come out, etc.

Nov 1, 2003 at 1:12 AM Post #19 of 32
They aren't in the same league as in you like rush more, you think rush has a more varied sound, or that rush has better musicians.

Personally I think that they are easily in the same league in terms of ability and musicianship, only rush varied their sound a little more. I would more say they are different.
Of course that is because I tend to reserve that statement more for something like, "Creed isn't even in the same league as rush."

Nov 1, 2003 at 10:50 AM Post #20 of 32
Quote:

Originally posted by redshifter
is it just me or does tool sometimes sound like a really pissed off rush?
biggrin.gif

That's a pretty amusing analogy. Yeah, they're the dark and brooding brother to Rush in many ways.

Nov 1, 2003 at 8:09 PM Post #21 of 32
Quote:

Originally posted by raif
They aren't in the same league as in you like rush more, you think rush has a more varied sound, or that rush has better musicians.

Personally I think that they are easily in the same league in terms of ability and musicianship, only rush varied their sound a little more. I would more say they are different.
Of course that is because I tend to reserve that statement more for something like, "Creed isn't even in the same league as rush."

Yes and yes. I think Rush are better musicians. Not by a lot, but still better. Rush has a more varied sound as well. They have done it all. Long, very long multipart songs, short to the point songs, even a rap song in their bag of tricks. Just my two cents.

Nov 2, 2003 at 5:53 AM Post #22 of 32
My favorite Tool record is Undertow. It is more basic, murky, bassy and closer to 'rock and roll' than their other records, except for Opiate. Tool is getting a bit too cerebral for me, though this is coming from a guy who saw them five times on their last tour...

Nov 3, 2003 at 12:44 AM Post #23 of 32
what exactly do you mean by cerebral? like, for instance, they are becoming too much of an intellect's band, or what?

Nov 3, 2003 at 3:49 AM Post #25 of 32
while i agree that their music does require alot of thought to fully understand(if it ever can be). the music can be enjoyed even if no thought is put into it. you just get more when you understand it better. and thats what i like, music with a meaning.

Nov 3, 2003 at 5:00 AM Post #26 of 32
Tool's best album was Aenema. I liked the musical progression and more mellow nature of Lateralus, however. Both were strong recordings.

Cheers,
Geek

Nov 3, 2003 at 6:10 AM Post #27 of 32
for me the determining factor that made me choose lateralus over aenima was the song lateralus. that song is a masterpiece

Nov 3, 2003 at 10:13 PM Post #28 of 32
i didn't mean that as a shootout between rush and tool. besides, rush has the advantage in that geddy lee is an android.

well, as long as we're comparing...
rush's playing is much flashier, lots of tight stops and starts, and tricky changes and hooks that draw attention. i noticed tool does something similar, but often the stops are so quick with tool you do not notice them. yes, the whole band just stopped on a dime, and started up again before your ears could catch up.

i also of course hear in early tool some early metallica as well.

jeff,
i just got back from a walk listening to "undertow" on my portable rig using my grados. "sober" was the first tool song i ever heard, and although i barely remember the disturbing animated video, i still get chills and goosebumps every time i hear it. i have "opiate" too, and both remind me of great early nirvana albums like "bleach" and "incesticide".

Nov 4, 2003 at 6:59 AM Post #30 of 32
I have Lateralus and Aenima. I got Lateralus the week it came out and Aenima a few weeks ago, used. Though I've only heard it maybe a dozen times, I like Aenima better. I've been watching this thread and trying to come up with words to describe the differences I'm hearing. Aenima has deeper grooves, heavier guitars, riffs you can get lost in. It has a darker sound (though not by much) and strong, strong beats, the kind that get my head bobbing no matter where I am.

Lateralus is more refined and quieter. It seems like a lot of bands have a pair of albums like this, putting out a rough, harsh sounding album and then a smoother one later. It always seems to polarize the fans.

Also, Lateralus doesn't lend itself well to situations with background noise. Aenima sounds good even with traffic noise coming through my Portapros. And the Bill Hicks audio excerpts put it over the top.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back