Lateralus = The Best Tool album
Oct 28, 2003 at 5:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

johnny sack

100+ Head-Fier
Anyone disagree with me about this?
wink.gif

Oct 28, 2003 at 6:32 AM Post #3 of 32
Well it's not my favorite, but best? I feel that each album serves a purpose for a certain time in your life, so it's hard to decide on a best. For example nothing fits like Undertow when you're down. Did wonders for my teenage angst
smily_headphones1.gif
And Aenima is a great "trasitioning" record. I guess you could say Lateralus is the furthest along in the chain of development, and as the "new and improved" Tool album it is the "best."

All I know is that I consider Aenima the best for a number of reasons (all of which probably have more to do with me then anything else).

Oct 28, 2003 at 10:32 AM Post #5 of 32
sometimes I sit and think about classical music and realize that although we see them as "masters" or "geniuses" at one point in time they were "pop"[ular] music.

I think mtv, media, record companies ruin alot bands nowadays from ever one day being considered genius. Tool's Lateralus album restored my faith in musical artistry.

Oct 28, 2003 at 3:03 PM Post #6 of 32
Just in case it needs to be said, In My Opinion it is the best
wink.gif
obviously not objectively the best, just IMO

Quote:

Originally posted by raif
I think mtv, media, record companies ruin alot bands nowadays from ever one day being considered genius. Tool's Lateralus album restored my faith in musical artistry.

Ruin the bands in the sense that they just overplay them?

Oct 28, 2003 at 6:20 PM Post #7 of 32
I definitely agree. Lateralus is a masterpiece. For a while, though, Ænima was my favorite. Both albums have great songs, Forty Six & Two and Lateralus (title track), respectively. While, I like Undertow, I don't enjoy it as much as Ænima or Lateralus.

Oct 28, 2003 at 10:21 PM Post #8 of 32
In the sense that the people pushed to the forefront of the music scene are there more for image, and money making, not music.

Quick, name the last truly unattractive female vocalist you have seen on mtv, (bjork doesn't count
smily_headphones1.gif
)

I find it hard to believe that every talented female musician also happens to be attractive.

Oct 28, 2003 at 11:34 PM Post #9 of 32
dont you know that beauty and talent go hand in hand, and ugliness and no-talent have a similar relationship? :p

Oct 29, 2003 at 12:06 AM Post #10 of 32
Those who simply enjoy Tool songs do not understand the band. Tool makes albums, not songs. This is evident in their concerts as well. Lateralus is probably the best example of their continuity. I think AEnima is still my fav, but Lateralus is a close second, with undertow not too far in the distance. Salival is kind of a special case -- a comprimised album, but a must have either way
wink.gif

A Perfect Circle is Maynard's other half - the Mozart to his Beethoven if you will. Tool is progressive, a masterful blend of dissonance and resolution (as was Beethoven's works), a glipse into genius. APC is nearly always pleasing, more rigidly constructed and conforming, which unfortunately leaves it slightly "shallow" in comparison. That said I've listened to APC's new album about once a day since it's release
wink.gif

-dd3mon

Oct 29, 2003 at 12:43 AM Post #11 of 32
I'm a pretty big Tool fan, but if I had to pick a favorite it'd be Ænima. Hooker with a penis is just such a good song.

The albums are all very different. Tool is just so damn good in concert. MJK pwn's j00!
eek.gif

Oct 29, 2003 at 4:05 AM Post #12 of 32
I ain't gonna argue with ya. But I find it difficult comparing it to previous Tool albums, it's so different.

Oct 29, 2003 at 4:18 AM Post #13 of 32
while lateralus is a great album, aenima is better produced imho. lateralus' sound is just too brittle--i prefer the chunky thunder of aenima.

-edit-
is it just me or does tool sometimes sound like a really pissed off rush?
biggrin.gif

Oct 29, 2003 at 6:48 PM Post #14 of 32
Quote:

Originally posted by redshifter
...is it just me or does tool sometimes sound like a really pissed off rush?
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
ROFL... Never thought of that this way, but now that you mention it - yeah... sometimes...
evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back