La Figaro 339
Dec 25, 2012 at 9:02 PM Post #1,246 of 6,903
Quote:

Around the price of II+ / Bifrost. Probably $400 max, though I'd love to keep it lower.

Found a Canadian store selling the HRT II+ for $370 with taxes and shipping so seems like a good deal. I've heard the 339/HRT pair is great, but just wondering if there is anything better and/or if I should skip on the HRT due to sampling limitations, etc.

HRT MSII+ is a great DAC with the LF339.  Even better than the $1300 V800 DAC with the LF339.  The warm sound and bass presentation just fits perfectly, IMO.

Dec 26, 2012 at 12:47 AM Post #1,247 of 6,903
That is what I've read recently and the main reason I'm leaning towards it, especially at the price I've found it. Would come to nearly $100 less than a Lyr.

Will pull trigger tomorrow if no one else chimes in by then. Thanks.

Dec 26, 2012 at 5:11 AM Post #1,248 of 6,903
Quote:
HRT MSII+ is a great DAC with the LF339.  Even better than the $1300 V800 DAC with the LF339.  The warm sound and bass presentation just fits perfectly, IMO.

I can join in on that one. The HRT + LF339 is one of the most euphonic rigs I've heard...
Cheap and fantastic.

Not the most detailed presentation, but it's smooth, wide and silky!

Dec 26, 2012 at 10:14 AM Post #1,249 of 6,903
Thanks for the input. Knowing that the 339 can improve greatly with tube rolling (perhaps improving its detail?) is also exciting. Should have both in my possession sometime next week (Chinese shipping on holiday for a week or something :frowning2: )

Dec 26, 2012 at 11:56 AM Post #1,250 of 6,903
I've also been looking at the D100 II DAC, but it somewhat stretches my budget and it would be a shame to pass up the MS2+ deal (about $50 cheaper than I usually see it).

Any feedback on D100 with 339? Would it be worth the extra ~$140?

Dec 27, 2012 at 10:34 AM Post #1,251 of 6,903
Quote:

Very good service. It would be fair to ask him what to do with the 1st one though :wink:

I've written Liu and offered to sell the first amp to someone in the US as 100% fully functional but with slight cosmetic damages and then forward Liu whatever I can get for it.  I'm waiting to hear back from him, but I think he'll go for that.  It doesn't make a lot of sense to ship something like that back in my opinion.

The question I have for the community is what do you think a fair price would be? It would be just the amp (no tubes, no tube cover, no tube adapters)

Dec 27, 2012 at 10:36 AM Post #1,252 of 6,903
Quote:

I've written Liu and offered to sell the first amp to someone in the US as 100% fully functional but with slight cosmetic damages and then forward Liu whatever I can get for it.  I'm waiting to hear back from him, but I think he'll go for that.  It doesn't make a lot of sense to ship something like that back in my opinion.

The question I have for the community is what do you think a fair price would be? It would be just the amp (no tubes, no tube cover, no tube adapters)

400 without shipping?

Dec 27, 2012 at 10:59 AM Post #1,253 of 6,903
Quote:
 翡伽璐/黑嗓 12/13/2012 12:09:13 AM
你好!
好长时间没有联系了,我9月生病,11月29日出医院,因脑梗塞,身体右边完全瘫痪,目前还在恢复中。

I just got the message from Yuking. He said that from September until November 29 he was hospitalized for having a clog in the brain, until now his right side of the body is completely paralyzed. He hope that everything can be back to normal ASAP...

I hope that not only Darkvoice/La Figaro owners pray for his health..

any other who is having trouble with their amp can contact me.

Thanks,
Kevin Mattoaly 

Just to clarify, I heard back from Liu and he mentioned that his boss was ill, not Liu himself.  Liu is the primary person that I've been communicating with.  

Dec 27, 2012 at 12:44 PM Post #1,254 of 6,903
Pulled the trigger on the MS2+ because I think its reviews seem to indicate it will work well with my music tastes. Plus, price-performance value will allow me to spend more money (sooner) on quality cables and tubes :) DAC should be here tomorrow, 339 hopefully by the end of next week.

Dec 28, 2012 at 1:50 AM Post #1,255 of 6,903
Pulled the trigger on the MS2+ because I think its reviews seem to indicate it will work well with my music tastes. Plus, price-performance value will allow me to spend more money (sooner) on quality cables and tubes :) DAC should be here tomorrow, 339 hopefully by the end of next week.

Have fun listening! :D

Dec 29, 2012 at 7:49 AM Post #1,256 of 6,903
"I've also been looking at the D100 II DAC, but it somewhat stretches my budget and it would be a shame to pass up the MS2+ deal (about $50 cheaper than I usually see it).

Any feedback on D100 with 339? Would it be worth the extra ~$140?"

I have this DAC and am also looking to possibly purchase the 339. Anybody have any opinions/experience with this combination?

Jan 1, 2013 at 5:52 PM Post #1,257 of 6,903
Quote:
Hello.
Try to change the tubes in places. If noise appears in the right channel then just know there is a problem in the tubes.

I know its been a while since I wrote the original post that this was a reply to, but I've finally had a chance to use my amp a bit.  I swapped the tube sides and the crackling did switch sides, so at least I know its a tube problem and not the amp.  Luckily I've got new tubes on the way.  I ordered four Telefunken EF80s and have two 6N13S tubes on the way.  Hopefully this makes for a good combination.

Jan 4, 2013 at 10:47 PM Post #1,258 of 6,903
Quick question.  I had my tubes off the amp so I unplugged it from the back.  When I plugged it back in, I noticed the transformer on the left is loose--its still attached to the amp and won't lift up, but it has a couple cm of play in it and I can see one of the yellow wires through the vent that attaches the transformer to the main board moves with the transformer.  Whats supposed to be holding these stable?  Is there a clip that's broken, and is there anything I can do about it?  I really don't want the transformer to come detached.  Thanks.

EDIT:  I must have exaggerated a little.  The left transformer housing moves about 2 or 3 mm in any direction, where as the other two are completely secure.  My guess is that it came loose when I pulled the plug from the base (which was probably overkill to start with).  Using a flashlight, I can see that there is one wire that goes into the transformer and one comes out.  Is there something I can do to re-secure the transformer housing to the base?

Jan 5, 2013 at 8:03 AM Post #1,260 of 6,903
So I just stripped a screw.  I think I can handle that.  Lets pretend I'm not mechanically inclined for a second.  I see Phillips head screws on the bottom and I see hex screws on the back.to get to the screws for the transformer housings which do I need to unscrew?  Do I turn the unit over so its balanced on those housing's and unscrew the bottom plate, or just unscrew the back plate?.  I build computers so I've worked with some electronics before.  I just want to make sure I do this right.  Its working as is, so I don't want to screw anything up further.  I really appreciate the help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back