KT Tunstall "Tiger Suit"?
Nov 15, 2010 at 11:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

jpelg

Needs a regular fix of 'Fi
'06 Nat Meet Co-Coordinator
As a fan of her past efforts, I would have normally just picked this up when it came out a few weeks ago without even thinking. However, I failed to do so at the sale price, and have been reticent to pay full price for an album I've heard nothing about (no news is not necessarily good news in the entertainment world). It's on sale again this week @BB, so it's back on my radar.

Anyone here pick this up that could possibly supply opinion(s)?

TIA.

Nov 15, 2010 at 12:57 PM Post #2 of 4
didn't care much for her last album and the samples for this one didn't sound any better. i love her early albums but passed on this one.

Nov 15, 2010 at 3:52 PM Post #3 of 4
I'm not a huge fan of KT even though she is a fellow Scot :p

Got to say that some of the music behind the tracks can be "catchy" or has that wee... thing, I dunno, something 'cool' about it I suppose that keeps you interested but I wouldn't say it makes the tracks stand the test of time to be honest. Like a lot of today's pop music it's almost fleeting and disposable - KT might carry a bit more weight but not much.

She's an OK songwriter but needs to mature a bit more for me to take her seriously (and only because she tries to be serious)

Nov 15, 2010 at 8:55 PM Post #4 of 4
If your favourites are her acoustic and folky songs, then you're not likely to think much of Tiger Suit. In fact, it doesn't really have anything acoustic; I guess Golden Frames would be closest though. That being said, even the faster and more pop like songs on Tiger Suit tend to be more interesting than the pop songs on Drastic Fantastic, in my opinion, with more punch and snap, and better use of guitars (bass especially) and electronics. My favourites from the album so far:

- Uummannaq Song : A great punchy opener. The recurring backing vocals are a nice touch, adding a little tribal homage.
- Push That Knot Away : One of the singles so you may have heard it already. It has a pop single sound about it, but it has a folky edge to it that the singles of Drastic Fantastic missed out on.
- Difficulty : A little slower a song (with an electronic backing though) that has a good build up. An interesting use of vocals works with the lyrical content.
- Fade Like A Shadow : Possibly the most popy song of the album, but it just seems to hold me more than the Drastic Fantastic singles.
- Lost : Another slower song, perhaps more raw than Difficulty, but it has a similar layout with the fairly linear build up.
- The Entertainer : The final song, and is toned down as usual with KT's albums. I like the combination of bass and acoustic guitars. Add some deeper lyrics with accompanying vocals and you have a more meaningful songs to finish off the album.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back