Kramer-mod... KSC75...
Nov 12, 2005 at 2:49 AM Post #32 of 542
22gauge!
blink.gif
Thats crazy man. These really do sound much better recabled though.

-Alex-

Nov 12, 2005 at 5:29 AM Post #33 of 542
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
I have this unproven theory (specuation really) that treble and upper mids (frequencies with quick attack/decay transients) project from the center of the driver.

Quote:

If thats the case you could tune the driver ouput depending on where you knocked the additional holes.

Well I played around with this idea.

Now with my KSC-35's:
kramer2.jpg

The sound in either case didn't really change from stock. I feel like the highs might be just a hair more detailed with my KSC's...but I think it is more because I want to believe the mod was worth while. It definately didn't hurt anything.

I saw some guy on here who cut a hole in the foam, but then lined with drilled grill with pantyhose. What is the point of opening them up, if you are going to cover them again. Might as well have just left the foam.

Nov 12, 2005 at 6:18 AM Post #34 of 542
IMHO the mod is has much less impact on the KSC35 / portapro non-titanium driver. I did it to my sportapro and was not as impressed as with my KSC75.

Garrett

Nov 12, 2005 at 11:38 AM Post #37 of 542
Nov 12, 2005 at 12:48 PM Post #38 of 542
Kramer,Nice mod.I did this 8 months back when you 1st suggested it.
Anyways,i broke one driver of my ktx pro's same time ago and now have one working koss driver and one grado-lookalike Philips 25 year old driver that sounds similiar to the koss but has some what more treble.

What should i do with these 2 different drivers ?
evil_smiley.gif

Nov 12, 2005 at 4:37 PM Post #39 of 542
Quote:

Originally Posted by brauhaus1
I wanted to put these up for the couple of you on this thread who said you've tried to find a headband for the drivers as well. Thought this might be a helpful idea for you. I just did this yesterday and I'm very happy with what I've got now. The stock ear clips were getting aggravating.

couple of questions:
1. can you post pics of how you installed the drivers in the new headphones? (what model sony is that?)
2. the ksc75 drivers are 40mm right? will they not fit in a behind the neck headphone that has a 30mm driver?
3. can anyone recommend a list of behind the neck headphones that will be able to accomodate the ksc75 driver (I can't find too many 40mm)

I know that koss makes the 55's but I've read so many reviews on this forum that said they were too tight...

Nov 12, 2005 at 5:04 PM Post #40 of 542
Quote:

I have this unproven theory (specuation really) that treble and upper mids (frequencies with quick attack/decay transients) project from the center of the driver. While bass and "slower" frequencies tend to resonate more from the perimiter. I have no way of proving this theory though. If thats the case you could tune the driver ouput depending on where you knocked the additional holes.

I think otherwise: the attack comes from voice coil. The sides reproduce just a little bit of the sound - they just don't move enough air.
I'm very surprised that most manufacturers don't pay attention to the shape of the auricle and the way it reflects the sound making different frequencies hearable. If you try to seal (with any adhesive tape) all the holes but one ant try leaving different holes unsealed you'll get different sounds. i.e more bass if the hole is located next to your ear canal and more highs with the hole located next to the upper rear of your auricle.

Nov 12, 2005 at 5:21 PM Post #41 of 542
Quote:

Originally Posted by ]|[ GorE
Kramer,Nice mod.I did this 8 months back when you 1st suggested it.
Anyways,i broke one driver of my ktx pro's same time ago and now have one working koss driver and one grado-lookalike Philips 25 year old driver that sounds similiar to the koss but has some what more treble.

What should i do with these 2 different drivers ?
evil_smiley.gif

You can ship the KTX back to koss and they'll honor it with their lifetime warranty... You have to pay for S/H though. Thats what I'd do.

Garrett

Nov 12, 2005 at 6:15 PM Post #43 of 542
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nothingsticks
couple of questions:
1. can you post pics of how you installed the drivers in the new headphones? (what model sony is that?)
2. the ksc75 drivers are 40mm right? will they not fit in a behind the neck headphone that has a 30mm driver?
3. can anyone recommend a list of behind the neck headphones that will be able to accomodate the ksc75 driver (I can't find too many 40mm)

I know that koss makes the 55's but I've read so many reviews on this forum that said they were too tight...

x2..

brauhaus can you post pics with the foam pads removed?

I thought about doing this with my creative streetstyles.

Do you think the closed sony can colors the sound of the driver?

Garrett

Nov 12, 2005 at 11:35 PM Post #45 of 542
Quote:

Do you think the closed sony can colors the sound of the driver?

I tried somthing similar with a pair of cheap Cobys, and yes, it definitely colored the sound. Jut try covering the back of your drivers with your hands and you'll see what I mean. The mids come forward in a bad way - very anemic, narrow sound. I had to do this to them just to keep the back open

But who knows - the shape of the back probably has a lot to do with it. The Cobys didn't fit the KSC drivers at all, so there was a 1cm gap, creating almost a resonance chamber behind the driver. I bet with a tighter fitting back like the Sonys, it might not be so bad.

Edit: VR6ofpain - I needed something to keep hair and junk out of the driver, and the pantyhose is acoustically transparent (to my ears).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back