Koss KSC75's. Dont Forget This Giant Killer in all the ''Hidden Gem'' Hype.
May 13, 2013 at 10:04 PM Post #61 of 1,442
Quote:

They aren't fatiguing over extended periods of time. But if you have the clips bent tight against your ear you may feel some stress around your ear after a few hours.

haha, I think the current directly out of the amp will blow up the poor 60 ohm koss driver. 
deadhorse.gif

Low volume setting and or a resistor are you friend here. As long as teh outs share common ground you are good.

I have been looking for a cheap used Bro or NAIT for this very purpose.

May 14, 2013 at 5:11 AM Post #62 of 1,442
One disappointing aspect of the sportapro's is the severely limited range of adjustment for the headband. It's fine if you have a small head, but inadequate otherwise. The portapro is much better in this regard.

I just bought the ktxpro1 which supposedly has a very roomy headband. :)

May 14, 2013 at 7:35 AM Post #63 of 1,442
Quote:
Low volume setting and or a resistor are you friend here. As long as teh outs share common ground you are good.

I have been looking for a cheap used Bro or NAIT for this very purpose.

I didn't read the thread that you linked, but would there be a advantage of using a modified speaker output compared to a dedicated headphone amplifier? (or dedicated output section on some of the high end soundcards).

May 14, 2013 at 11:33 AM Post #64 of 1,442
Quote:

I didn't read the thread that you linked, but would there be a advantage of using a modified speaker output compared to a dedicated headphone amplifier? (or dedicated output section on some of the high end soundcards).

Properly set up, the speaker amp is miles above any headphone amp you can buy. There is also a thread on the Emotiva amp with hard to drive headphones (no need there for the Koss).

http://www.head-fi.org/t/629352/he-500-lcd2-d5000-dt770-sr80-on-a-speaker-amp-emotiva-mini-x-a-100-project

Both threads really are worth a skim through.

May 14, 2013 at 12:50 PM Post #65 of 1,442
ok so kind of off topic, but last night I was listening to my ipod through these cans before going to sleep and I noticed something. These cans sound really good when played quiet! I could not believe the balance and sound quality at this volume! Maybe because I am kinda new to this whole hi-fi thing but it just blew me away!

May 14, 2013 at 2:14 PM Post #66 of 1,442
All in all the KSC75's are a great little do all headphone.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

May 14, 2013 at 8:01 PM Post #67 of 1,442
Quote:
ok so kind of off topic, but last night I was listening to my ipod through these cans before going to sleep and I noticed something. These cans sound really good when played quiet! I could not believe the balance and sound quality at this volume! Maybe because I am kinda new to this whole hi-fi thing but it just blew me away!

I think any headphones with treble emphasis are designed to be used at low volume. The grado's are the most obvious example, but you point out that the 75's are another. 

I have tried to replicate the grado sound by EQing, using an amp, and also with mods on my various koss headphones. I can't do it. Increasing treble starts to make koss headphones sound very thin and airy and excessively bright. Whereas grado's sound warm and full and true to the instruments.

The grado's have a fullness and warmth that simply cannot be replicated in other headphones. I don't know what they are doing, but they are doing something right. 

The koss headphones are absolutely amazing in their own right and at their price points, simply defy logic. :)

May 14, 2013 at 11:44 PM Post #68 of 1,442
Quote:
I think any headphones with treble emphasis are designed to be used at low volume. The grado's are the most obvious example, but you point out that the 75's are another. 

I have tried to replicate the grado sound by EQing, using an amp, and also with mods on my various koss headphones. I can't do it. Increasing treble starts to make koss headphones sound very thin and airy and excessively bright. Whereas grado's sound warm and full and true to the instruments.

The grado's have a fullness and warmth that simply cannot be replicated in other headphones. I don't know what they are doing, but they are doing something right. 

The koss headphones are absolutely amazing in their own right and at their price points, simply defy logic. :)

Haha and that is exactly why I want Gados next!

May 17, 2013 at 9:10 PM Post #70 of 1,442
Also, I now have the koss ktxpro1's in my collection. 

They have a touch more high frequency energy compared to either the portapro's or sportapro's. 

I notice these headphones definitely have a bit less clamping force than either of the above mentioned. The drivers are also supposed to be titanium coated. Either or both of these factors could be responsible for the slightly brighter sound signature. 

Mind you, the difference isn't night and day, but noticeable nonetheless noticeable during a brief listening session. 

May 17, 2013 at 10:14 PM Post #71 of 1,442
Quote:
Also, I now have the koss ktxpro1's in my collection. 

They have a touch more high frequency energy compared to either the portapro's or sportapro's. 

I notice these headphones definitely have a bit less clamping force than either of the above mentioned. The drivers are also supposed to be titanium coated. Either or both of these factors could be responsible for the slightly brighter sound signature. 

Mind you, the difference isn't night and day, but noticeable nonetheless noticeable during a brief listening session. 

The KTX uses the same ti coated driver as the 75's.

May 18, 2013 at 5:57 AM Post #72 of 1,442
Quote:
The KTX uses the same ti coated driver as the 75's.

I did a quick search on head-fi, and in the following thread, one poster claims there is a difference between the ktxpro1 and ksc75 drivers (post #14):

http://www.head-fi.org/t/392805/review-koss-ktxpro1-an-awesome-portable-headphone

"KTXPro uses flat back titanium drivers, the same as in a KSC55 (the 55 uses a neck band).

KSC75 driver is titanium coated too, but with round-back housing. They don't sound the same as the 55's, the 75 has too much brightness, boarder-line harsh.

The Sporta/Porta/KSC35 all use flat-back non-coated drivers. To me they are the best sounding 60 Ohm koss driver."

I'd like to see a diagram of the respective drivers to see what this poster is talking about. If anyone has any technical knowledge about these drivers that would be great. 

Practically speaking, there is enough high frequency 'sparkle' to differentiate the ktxpro1 from the s/portapro line. To be honest, in initial listening, it seems as if the treble is not quite as tight and accurate as it could be. There is a bit of smearing and distortion. I only have an hour or so of listening on this pair, so there is a chance that this issue could clear up with extended listening or burn-in. 

Overall, the sound quality is completely ridiculous at this price point ($10-$16). My guess is that 99%+ of the population would not only be completely satisfied, but overjoyed to have this pair as their only set of headphones. 

May 18, 2013 at 6:40 AM Post #73 of 1,442
reading this thread is like traveling back to 2008.

May 18, 2013 at 6:57 AM Post #74 of 1,442
Quote:
Properly set up, the speaker amp is miles above any headphone amp you can buy. There is also a thread on the Emotiva amp with hard to drive headphones (no need there for the Koss).

http://www.head-fi.org/t/629352/he-500-lcd2-d5000-dt770-sr80-on-a-speaker-amp-emotiva-mini-x-a-100-project

Just had a skim through quickly, very interesting results. May be a future experiment to use with my old vintage marantz amp.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 18, 2013 at 7:59 AM Post #75 of 1,442
Quote:

thats false.

only reason they use the emotiva is because its a cheaper alternative to buy a headphone amp to drive the he-6's.

Very, very, very few headphones need a speaker amp to drive them.

the KSC75 needs no where near that power.  

Anyone thinking of using a speaker amp to drive their headphones (especially vintage ones).... careful; don't turn the volume knob too fast or much.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back