Koss KSC75's. Dont Forget This Giant Killer in all the ''Hidden Gem'' Hype.
Dec 11, 2012 at 11:20 PM Post #16 of 1,440
I am in agreement with the comments that the KSC75 is the forgotten giant killer, one which receives little recognition for its high-end performance, a diamond in the rough of the low-end headphone market. Let us understand: This headphone has its own problems as all do with its little ills and sins in sound and build that leave it ever-so-slightly off from perfection than the likes of some of the titans in the much higher price ranges. But because such comparisons as these are made with this pint-sized, pocket-change headphone, it only goes to show the fame and acclaim it deserves.

What it does right is offer a soundstage, or the illusion of the sound coming outside of the ear cups with the instruments and performers distanced from a few inches to a few feet from you. This is outstanding in and of itself as most headphones do not have a soundstage or very little of one until you reach the $100 price point. Of course, it is not as detailed and resolving as a top of the line Beyerdynamic or as smooth and intoxicating as the best of the best Sennheiser, but it still offers sufficient soul in the treble, enough energy in the midrange, and adequate atmosphere in the bass. In some ways, it does better than these by not going at lengths to specialize in any particular sound or range which makes it all the more versatile and perhaps a little more welcome listen. It even scales with your source and amplifier which is something I did not expect from something using ordinary diaphragms and a rather lackluster cable. I can go as far as to rate them above the Sennheiser HD201, Sennheiser HD555, Beyerdynamic DT770, AKG K550, Koss Portapro and many others for these very reasons which is impressive to say the least. (On a side note, I still love my Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro hands-down over any headphone I have listened to bar none, with even the AKG Q701 finding itself taking backseat with its detailed and resolving midrange to the energy and atmosphere I get with this audiophile treat.)

Dec 11, 2012 at 11:29 PM Post #17 of 1,440
Quote:
I am in agreement with the comments that the KSC75 is the forgotten giant killer, one which receives little recognition for its high-end performance, a diamond in the rough of the low-end headphone market. Let us understand: This headphone has its own problems as all do with its little ills and sins in sound and build that leave it furthur from perfection than the likes of some of the titans in the much higher price ranges. But because such comparisons as these are made with this pint-sized, pocket-change headphone, it only goes to show the fame and acclaim it deserves.

What it does right is offer a soundstage, or the illusion of the sound coming outside of the ear cups with the instruments and performers distanced from a few inches to a few feet from you. This is outstanding in and of itself as most headphones do not have a soundstage or very little of one until you reach the $100 price point. Of course, it is not as detailed and resolving as a top of the line Beyerdynamic or as smooth and intoxicating as the best of the best Sennheiser, but it still offers sufficient soul in the treble, enough energy in the midrange, and adequate atmosphere in the bass. In some ways, it does better than these by not going at lengths to specialize in any particular sound or range which makes it all the more versatile and perhaps a little more welcome listen. It even scales with your source and amplifier which is something I did not expect from something using ordinary diagrams and a rather lackluster cable. I go as far as to rate them above the Sennheiser HD201, Sennheiser HD555, Beyerdynamic DT770, AKG K550, Koss Portapro and many others for these very reasons which is impressive to say the least. (On a side note, I love my Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro hands-down over any headphone I have listened to bar none, with even the AKG Q701 finding itself taking backseat with its detailed and resolving midrange to the energy and atmosphere I get with this audiophile treat.)

I could agree to this. I'm really thinking of trying to find some wood cups similar to Grados for these. I enjoy the sound of them that much.

Jan 3, 2013 at 11:40 PM Post #18 of 1,440
I started off with the ksc75's on the parts express headband, and I replaced the driver covers with steel mesh to open them up even more.

The problem is that I started off with them. I thought if these cheapies can sound this friggin' great, then let's get stuff that's even better! I then got the px100-II's, the jvc s500, the phillips uptowns, and a bunch of iem's.

And what do I use as a reference? Yup, my ksc75's. It is unbelievable how good they are. With a bit of boost in the bass, they are truly amazing. I'm listening to some Delerium - Days Turn Into Nights with them now (plus the Fiio E11 using the eq2 setting), and wow.

Biggest giant killers out there for sure.

Jan 20, 2013 at 3:40 PM Post #19 of 1,440
Similar story here. Out of my Sony MDR V6, Grado 60i, ATH CKM50, DT900-600Ohm, and many others i still prefer the KSC75.
Other headphones just sound too bright or too dull after listening to the 75's. Not to mention the superior lightweight comfort. The fact that they're cheap is even great because i can toss them around without care and just buy another pair of they ever break (but they haven't yet, amazingly). The only problem with them is yes, it would be nice to have a little bit more sub-bass. Yay EQ 
biggrin.gif

Everyone serious about audio should own or try a pair imo. They're just too cheap and too good to justify not trying a pair. Especially when people pay more for cables than they do  for these clip-ons.

Jan 20, 2013 at 6:51 PM Post #20 of 1,440
Don't forget the Kramer Mod
beerchug.gif

Apr 25, 2013 at 2:28 AM Post #22 of 1,440
Quote:
I owned the grado ps500 for about 2 days but after comparing to a 75 with a grado cable I preferred the little Koss. the mids are nicer and while the grado had more in terms of some detail and refinement up top, for $500 it was a joke how similar they sounded not to mention the comfort difference which is worth quite a bit in itself. If you find the highs on the 75's a bit whispy and unatural I'd recommend buying a pair of grado 60's, steal the cable from it and use it on the koss, sell the rest of the sr60 for half price and you'll find the 75's will have a bit more body in the mids and a nicer top end. The only real complaint I have with the 75's is the occasional rattle with super low information and less enjoyable sound at more than moderate volumes.......

Wow, so the koss 75's have a sound comparable not only to grado's but to grado's that cost $600???

What does it mean that the high frequencies are whispy? Does it mean there is excess treble which is fatiguing?

Also, does the parts express mod reduce treble?

Sorry for all of the questions. This sounds like an amazing value.

Apr 25, 2013 at 1:01 PM Post #23 of 1,440
Quote:

Wow, so the koss 75's have a sound comparable not only to grado's but to grado's that cost $600???

What does it mean that the high frequencies are whispy? Does it mean there is excess treble which is fatiguing?

Also, does the parts express mod reduce treble?

Sorry for all of the questions. This sounds like an amazing value.

It's hard to put a $ value on KSC-75, but it's definitely above 100$.
Very fun, non-fatiguing, wide stage. Perfect for home/office use, when you want to remain aware of the surroundings.
Parts express mod is just a headband, it applies more pressure on the ears, bringing the speakers closer.
You can simulate it by pressing lightly with your hands.

When I heard my first pair of KSC-75, I have immediately bought a second one - just to be sure I will always have one when I need it.

Apr 25, 2013 at 5:59 PM Post #25 of 1,440
Quote:
It's hard to put a $ value on KSC-75, but it's definitely above 100$.
Very fun, non-fatiguing, wide stage. Perfect for home/office use, when you want to remain aware of the surroundings.
Parts express mod is just a headband, it applies more pressure on the ears, bringing the speakers closer.
You can simulate it by pressing lightly with your hands.

When I heard my first pair of KSC-75, I have immediately bought a second one - just to be sure I will always have one when I need it.

Thanks, but I just wanted to know if the sound signature changes: is there more bass as a result of the additional pressure? Or, do they simply become louder? Some have commented that the highs can be a little harsh on the 75's, so I'm wondering if the headband mod helps in that regard, or are simply a sound neutral mod. 

Thanks again. 

Apr 25, 2013 at 6:54 PM Post #26 of 1,440
Quote:
Thanks, but I just wanted to know if the sound signature changes: is there more bass as a result of the additional pressure? Or, do they simply become louder? Some have commented that the highs can be a little harsh on the 75's, so I'm wondering if the headband mod helps in that regard, or are simply a sound neutral mod. 

Thanks again. 

If you like get a pair of sporta pros as well for about 20 bucks and swap the drivers out. You get a headband with the temporal pads (more bass) and the ability to convert to behind the neck as well.

Apr 25, 2013 at 7:10 PM Post #27 of 1,440
Quote:

If you like get a pair of sporta pros as well for about 20 bucks and swap the drivers out. You get a headband with the temporal pads (more bass) and the ability to convert to behind the neck as well.

Coooool. The sportapros are only $20. So you can just clip in the 75's into the sportapro headband? Sounds like an excellent solution.

If these koss headphones are as good as people are saying, why are people spending $500 on headphones which barely offer any improvement?!?

Anyway, I am ordering the sportapros. :)

Apr 25, 2013 at 7:25 PM Post #28 of 1,440
Quote:
Coooool. The sportapros are only $20. So you can just clip in the 75's into the sportapro headband? Sounds like an excellent solution.

If these koss headphones are as good as people are saying, why are people spending $500 on headphones which barely offer any improvement?!?

Hype Sells. I've used Porta Pros since they existed. They have sold more ultra high end phones then any other. Simply put after hearing them folks have to spend big to get a better phone and spend they do because you don't keep 20 buck phones in a room full of Krells :)

The 75's are better but if you do the sporta pro trick (yes they just clip in) you get the Sporta / Porta Pro / KSC35 drivers (you can use the 75 clips on them too. So you pretty much have it all. For About 40 bucks you get a better phone then the Senni 280s everyone raves about. And yes, I have owned the 280's.

If you really want to go crazy, buy a set of Philips 4700 ear clips (11 bucks) put a sturdy headband on those and a set of ear cushions, sit back settle in and enjoy the ride:wink:

If you do go the KSC75 route, you really need to check out the Kramer Mod thread as well.

Apr 25, 2013 at 7:32 PM Post #29 of 1,440
Quote:

Plenty of options. Do as Hutnicks says (I think he is saying to put the ksc75 drivers in the sportapro headband). Should work well. I was going to do that, but I wanted even less pressure, hence I went with the parts express band. But if I were you, I would do what Hutnicks says.

Also if you do that, you can put the sportapro drivers into your ksc75 clips and have two great sets. I think the sportapro drivers are the same as the portapro drivers, so if you put them on the ksc75 clips, you will essentially get the ksc35's. Confused yet? If the sportapro drivers are indeed the same as the portapro drivers, then they have more bass than the ksc75's, and for me anyway, benefit by NOT being right against the ears and sound very good in the clips (this is from when I tried the portapro drivers in the clips).

And another option with the sportapros is to use them as is, except also do this mod:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/124243/kramer-mod-ksc75/435#post_9302214

Have fun!

Apr 25, 2013 at 7:36 PM Post #30 of 1,440
Quote:

Plenty of options. Do as Hutnicks says. Should work well. I was going to do that, but I wanted even less pressure, hence I went with the parts express band. But if I were you, I would do what Hutnicks says.

Also if you do that, you can put the sportapro drivers into your ksc75 clips and have two great sets. I think the sportapro drivers are the same as the portapro drivers, so if you put them on the ksc75 clips, you will essentially get the ksc35's. Confused yet? If the sportapro drivers are indeed the same as the portapro drivers, then they have more bass than the ksc75's, and for me anyway, benefit by NOT being right against the ears and sound very good in the clips (this is from when I tried the portapro drivers in the clips).

And another option with the sportapros is to use them as is, except also do this mod:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/124243/kramer-mod-ksc75/435#post_9302214

Have fun!

The nice (and bad) about the Sporta band is it is very maleable so you can bend it to suit whatever clamping force you desire.

Sporta / Porta / KSC35 (yup all the same driver) have oodles more bass than the 75's. They really benefit from any cusion that gets them a little further from the ear.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back