Koss KSC75's. Dont Forget This Giant Killer in all the ''Hidden Gem'' Hype.
Jun 22, 2013 at 2:25 AM Post #166 of 1,442
Guys, guys, let's please not argue about homonyms.

Anyway, to be completely honest I've never understood square wave measurements, but just the fact that it's nearly identical to the hd800's is absolutely incredible. I'd love to be enlightened over square wave response :)

Truly incredible find.

Jun 22, 2013 at 2:42 AM Post #167 of 1,442
Jun 22, 2013 at 9:04 AM Post #169 of 1,442
Here is the counterpoint to the 500 Hz square wave plot:

Ouch.

I don't think there's much doubt about the quality of the KSC75's bass....loose and lacking depth. But despite that they still sound quite balanced overall and somehow I still like them a lot.

Jun 22, 2013 at 9:30 AM Post #170 of 1,442

There's not much that can be done to make the bass tighter but it's easy to give the lower frequencies a small boost so the roll off isn't quite so obvious. I found that boosting the bass can cause distortion quite quickly and you can only confidently add a couple of dB before risking ill effects. In Rockbox I use the parametric equalizer to add a low shelf filter at 40 Hz with +3 dB, and I use the precut with a value of -1 dB. That gives it a little more weight and never distorts. The 3 dB boost with -1 dB precut works fine on my Clip+ and iRiver H140. I think I could maybe add a little more with the iRiver than the Clip+, and probably a bit more with more powerful amplification but with a low power device at high volume it runs into clipping quite easily (and driving the KSC75 is asking a bit too much of a Clip+ anyway).

Jun 22, 2013 at 10:47 AM Post #171 of 1,442
Let's please get the thread back on track. Maybe there's a way to split the digression into a separate thread where terminology can be debated ad infinitum.

Edit: I posted this late. Looks like we're back on track. :)

Jun 22, 2013 at 12:17 PM Post #172 of 1,442
Are driving these with ipod classic 6th gen combined with something like a Leckerton UHA-6SMKII okay?

Jun 22, 2013 at 12:55 PM Post #174 of 1,442
Are driving these with ipod classic 6th gen combined with something like a Leckerton UHA-6SMKII okay?

I think it would have to be. Plenty of power there for any conventional headphone.

I find the Clip+ struggles but its maximum output is only about 15 mW into 16 ohms and 7.5 mW into 32 ohms according to NwAvGuy's measurements (I'm assuming that is per channel but it isn't stated). My iRivers drive the KSC75 much better and, according to spec, they output 20 mW into 16 ohms and 12 mW into 32 ohm (per channel). Nobody bothers with measurements at the Koss's stated 60 ohms but the Leckerton is not going to struggle. According to its specs:

Max output power (1% THD):

30 mW into 16 ohms
55 mW into 32 ohms
110 mW into 100 ohms
55 mW into 300 ohms

I guess it's going to drive them near enough perfectly. But I think the iPod has quite a strong output as well, (30 mW into 32 ohm???) so probably an amp isn't going to add much. I'm not sure because Apple don't offer the specs at apple.com but I've seen those figures elsewhere.

Jun 22, 2013 at 2:12 PM Post #175 of 1,442
I'm running my KSC75 out of my arrow 3g lol, and also my xonar dg it sounds damn good!  Unbelievable sound quality for a $15 headphone, I might even take it to the gym today

Jun 22, 2013 at 3:58 PM Post #176 of 1,442
Well look just what came in today. Just waiting for some plugs to come in. Makes me want to get a portapros to match the cable

Jun 22, 2013 at 3:58 PM Post #177 of 1,442
I think it would have to be. Plenty of power there for any conventional headphone.

I find the Clip+ struggles but its maximum output is only about 15 mW into 16 ohms and 7.5 mW into 32 ohms according to NwAvGuy's measurements (I'm assuming that is per channel but it isn't stated). My iRivers drive the KSC75 much better and, according to spec, they output 20 mW into 16 ohms and 12 mW into 32 ohm (per channel). Nobody bothers with measurements at the Koss's stated 60 ohms but the Leckerton is not going to struggle. According to its specs:
I guess it's going to drive them near enough perfectly. But I think the iPod has quite a strong output as well, (30 mW into 32 ohm???) so probably an amp isn't going to add much. I'm not sure because Apple don't offer the specs at apple.com but I've seen those figures elsewhere.

Thanks, Julian. I originally got the Leckerton for RE-262 when I owned them, run along with a circa 2004 white iPod. That oldie in now on AC duty due to battery gone bad; enter the latest classic. Your reply sounds like minimal to no benefit amping the Koss do I'll save myself the bulk and weight. For what it's worth, the Koss are in burn-in duty on the PC. Loud, yes; they are in a bag of folded socks to muffle the incessant chatter.

Jun 22, 2013 at 6:16 PM Post #179 of 1,442
Quote:
Just got the KSC75 at OD for $5. Holy ****, these sound amazing.

Will post impressions against headphones/iems 10x - 70x more expensive

Lol! Looking forward to it!

Jun 22, 2013 at 6:17 PM Post #180 of 1,442
Quote:
Just got the KSC75 at OD for $5. Holy ****, these sound amazing.

Will post impressions against headphones/iems 10x - 70x more expensive

OD in Canada does not carry them. ***stards!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back