Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
May 20, 2024 at 6:00 AM Post #64,112 of 64,286
After more time with the CCA Hydro, and after being able to get a good fit with tip-rolling, the custom ones sound terrible, I must say that I'm really really impressed with this IEM. I'm always skeptical about claims of things being TOTL disruptors, giant killers and so on, but these are there. In fact, MP145 and Hydro are probably my two favorite IEMs right now, and I have IEMs that cost up to 6 times more than any of those two. The best thing is that MP145 and Hydro are very different. MP145 has excellent soundstage and treble and bass extension, while Hydro has a very relaxed sound with excellent separation. If they were a little more confortable, I don't think that the "good" cable is that good at distributing the weight, particularly since it lacks an adjustable ring, they would be an almost perfect set. Sadly, I get tired from wearing them after an album or two, while I can use the MP145, which are also big and weighty, for almost as long as I want.

Despite minor nitpicks: terrible tips and not very comfortable, I would find hard to not give them 5 stars, given the quality of the sound at just 120€. I honestly also find hard to justify buying things more expensive than these or the MP145. But I must admit that I would buy the I/O Volare in a heartbeat if it wasn't for the customs. (126€ in taxes and then an additional fee on "handling"? What the actual ****? You can buy an excellent IEM for less than that!)

I get the impression that some years ago you wouldn't be able to buy this kind of sound no matter how much you were willing to spend. It is astonishing the level of innovation and quality that the Chinese industry has. Europe, with all the pain in my heart, seems to have faded into irrelevancy (except when it comes to tax you, it is still a superpower at taking away the money from your bucket).

Last edited:
May 20, 2024 at 9:15 AM Post #64,113 of 64,286
I don't think that the "good" cable is that good at distributing the weight, particularly since it lacks an adjustable ring, they would be an almost perfect set. Sadly, I get tired from wearing them after an album or two, while I can use the MP145, which are also big and weighty, for almost as long as I want.

Buy a new cable.

I know it's an obvious suggestion but yeah...buy a new cable.

May 20, 2024 at 11:32 AM Post #64,117 of 64,286
Maybe, I have never had any other KZ/CCA, but I have a lot of other IEMs, and I mean a lot, and the connector is different.

Just looked...yes it is.

The official KZ silver/blue hybrid 784 core cable is really nice and should work on the Hydro.

I just got one for my PR2s and it's great.

You can find it at the official KZ store, Amazon, Aliexpress and several other places and it's not too expensive.

May 20, 2024 at 12:21 PM Post #64,118 of 64,286
Just looked...yes it is.

The official KZ silver/blue hybrid 784 core cable is really nice and should work on the Hydro.

I just got one for my PR2s and it's great.

You can find it at the official KZ store, Amazon, Aliexpress and several other places and it's not too expensive.

That is the cable I bought. Thus why I said the "expensive" one.

May 20, 2024 at 2:36 PM Post #64,119 of 64,286
Received the KZ-Vader Balanced version today. I purchased it with my own money, mainly because it looks prettier (so why not, haha). TLDR: the force is strong with Vader Balance version.

The most popular question: Do they sound similar to the Trio?

Comparison is based on 1111 setting from both.

I will say, they share the same tuning. However, the mid-bass is less elevated in the Vader. The upper-mid/ultra-treble in the Vader is just better, with a very similar vibe to the ZS10 Pro 2 but more resolving and less harsh. In fact, with some tracks that already have bass boosted, you will find the bass on Trio is slightly bloated and the vocal is a bit thin, while Vader does this perfectly. This track is an example: YOASOBI "Racing into the Night". It really depends on your collection, if you are fine with Trio, don't bother to buy Vader.

The Vader is also harder to drive, you need around 20% more power to achieve the same sound pressure.

In terms of dimensions, they are just the same, but the Vader's faceplate makes them more eye-pleasing. The internal board is similar too, but the wiring on the Vader is thicker and looks more muscular.

Overall, I think Vader is an upgrade over Trio, though the improvements are just minor.

Just ordered one.

May 20, 2024 at 6:58 PM Post #64,122 of 64,286
I said no more budget IEMs for 6 months but KZ Vader balanced is looking tempting if it truly is a more refined Trio.
It is hard to beat something that is already awesome 😌. I think the Vader Balance is just a few % better; most of the improvements come from the tonality, which can be very subjective and improve with ear tips and sources.

May 21, 2024 at 12:11 AM Post #64,125 of 64,286

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back