Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jun 8, 2023 at 6:15 PM Post #61,921 of 64,222
Today i recived my pr2. Weak bass , horrible metallic highs, the whole sound is distorted. It's something joke ?

Attachments

• 00000IMG_00000_BURST20230608114634028_COVER-picsay.jpg
    00000IMG_00000_BURST20230608114634028_COVER-picsay.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Jun 8, 2023 at 6:16 PM Post #61,922 of 64,222
One thing to disagree: BA10, AS10, CCA C16 are good, even very good (BA10). Some middle released hybrids for example like ZS7, ZAS, were good too (and maybe few others more)
Later was a gap time for such players as budget Dunu, 7hz and so on - Kz failed to implement electrostatic drivers.
After that I can really enjoy more my D-Fi then FD11, Wan'er, 7hz Zero, Tanchjim Zero and many others.
Exceptions: Hbb Blon Z300 is really good too.
Unfortunately my ear have little tolerance on the KZ first gen BA.

during 2~3 song audition as i looking for an upgrade/replacement as my ZS5 got ran over by a car when i drop it in a parking lot during new year party.

i pass on ZS6 as i found it too sibilant, its a crazy eargrater for me
C10 who are highly recommended by many including Crin at the time, have a bright, in your face, metalic, a bit piercing, treble that is a no for me.
BA10 have bad timing as i use single DD ATH-E40 at the time, the multidriver felt incoherent during short period of auditioning it. it felt like every driver screams on their own in disregard of the song harmony. i might get used to the sound and liking it if i tried it on longer session after brainburn.

I love ZS7 airy performance and good soundstage
ZS10pro have rather tighter presentation and easy on the ear shell but i still prefer the ZS7 sound.

I tried OG AS16 for 2~3 song at the time but i didn't even remember how it sounds.
all i remember is the shell is rather big and uncomfortable in my ear

then i was introduced to TFZ King and its deep rumbly textured bass that no KZ DD (at the time) have and well...
(haven't tried the C16 and ZSX as it was released when i was away on a on-site job.)

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2023 at 12:39 AM Post #61,927 of 64,222
List of wired KZ models for statistics.
Please inform me if I missed something.

KZ C56R
KZ GR
KZ RX
KZ IE80
kZ DT5
KZ ATE
KZ ATES
KZ ZST
KZ ZST Pro
KZ ZST X
KZ ZSA
KZ ZSE
KZ ZS1
KZ ZS3
KZ ZS3E
KZ ZS5 V1/V2/V3
KZ ZS6 V1/V2
KZ ZS7
KZ ZS10
KZ ZS10 Pro
KZ ZS10 Pro X
KZ ZS10 PRO 2
KZ ZSR
KZ ES3
KZ ES4
KZ ED3
KZ ED3 Youth
KZ S3
KZ ED9
KZ ED4
KZ ED10
KZ ED11
KZ ED2/EDR2
KZ HDS1
KZ HDS2
KZ HDS3
KZ ED16
KZ EDX
KZ EDX Pro
KZ EDX Pro X
KZ EDX Ultra
KZ EDXS
KZ AS06
KZ AS10
KZ AS12
KZ AS16
KZ AS16 Pro/Highimp
KZ AS16 Pro X
KZ AS24
KZ BA10
KZ AST
KZ ASF
KZ ASX
KZ ZAS
KZ ZAR
KZ ZNA
KZ ZSN
KZ ZSN Pro
KZ ZSN Pro X
KZ ZSN Pro 2
KZ ZSX Terminator
KZ ZAX
KZ ZAT
KZ ZS4
KZ ESX
KZ Lyra
KZ EDC
KZ EDC X
KZ EDA Bundle (Bass, Balanced, HiFi)
KZ EDX Lite
KZ ZEX
KZ ZEX Pro
KZ ZES
KZ PR1 Normal/HIFI
KZ PR1 Pro
KZ PR2 V1/V2
KZ PR3
KZ DQ6
KZ DQ6S
KZ DQS
KZ D-Fi
KZ EDS
KZ Ling Long
KZ ZVX
KZ Krila
KZ Castor Harman/Bass
KZ Symphony
KZ x AngelEars Collab Libra Balanced/Hi-res
KZ Merga
KZ Vader - Balanced/Hi-res

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2023 at 1:42 AM Post #61,928 of 64,222
List of wired KZ models for statistics.
Please inform me if I missed something.

KZ C56R
KZ GR
KZ RX
KZ IE80
kZ DT5
KZ ATE
KZ ATES
KZ ZST
KZ ZST X
KZ ZSA
KZ ZSE
KZ ZS1
KZ ZS3
KZ ZS3E
KZ ZS5 V1/V2/V3
KZ ZS6 V1/V2
KZ ZS7
KZ ZS10
KZ ZS10 Pro
KZ ZS10 Pro X
KZ ZSR
KZ ES3
KZ ES4
KZ ED3
KZ ED3 Youth
KZ ED9
KZ ED4
KZ ED10
KZ ED11
KZ ED2/EDR2
KZ HDS1
KZ HDS2
KZ HDS3
KZ ED16
KZ EDX
KZ EDX Pro
KZ EDX Ultra
KZ EDXS
KZ AS06
KZ AS10
KZ AS12
KZ AS16
KZ AS16 Pro/Highimp
KZ AS24
KZ BA10
KZ AST
KZ ASF
KZ ASX
KZ ZAS
KZ ZAR
kZ ZNA
KZ ZSN
KZ ZSN Pro
KZ ZSN Pro X
KZ ZSX Terminator
KZ ZAX
KZ ZS4
KZ ESX
KZ Lyra
KZ EDC
KZ EDC X
KZ EDA Bundle (Bass, Balanced, HiFi)
KZ ZEX
KZ ZEX Pro
KZ ZES
KZ PR1/HIFI
KZ PR1 Pro
KZ PR2 V1/V2
KZ DQ6
KZ DQ6S
KZ DQS
KZ D-Fi
KZ EDS
KZ LingLong
KZ ZVX
KZ ZST Pro

Jun 9, 2023 at 2:10 AM Post #61,929 of 64,222
Its a bit weird as for my $34 pr2 v2, its still pretty damn good for the price.

which makes me wonder as several people mention that seems pr2 v1 is even better,
how crazy good is PR2 V1 for the price?
Trades blows with WELL TUNED $500 iems which on their own right can be argued to beat some kilobuck iems.

Outright beats the allegedly "mid-fi killer" Zetian Wu Heyday.

PR2 V2 changes the scope from that to "just another KZ iem"

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2023 at 2:38 AM Post #61,930 of 64,222
The more I read about the KZ PR2 v1 v2 cases, I'm sure that they are using the same driver with same tuning inside the PR2, just happened that they ran out of the filter, they use another filter or bad implementation of the new filter. The filter on the nozzle is very important and can change the sound a lot, much more than eartips and cables. They can make the low frequencies sounded bloated too. Maybe I want to take the PR2 for the mod purpose.

Jun 9, 2023 at 2:41 AM Post #61,931 of 64,222
The more I read about the KZ PR2 v1 v2 cases, I'm sure that they are using the same driver with same tuning inside the PR2, just happened that they ran out of the filter, they use another filter or bad implementation of the new filter. The filter on the nozzle is very important and can change the sound a lot, much more than eartips and cables. They can make the low frequencies sounded bloated too. Maybe I want to take the PR2 for the mod purpose.
They literally mentioned they were streamlining production because it was too labour intensive to need to put a mesh over the driver. They then put a denser mesh over the nozzle of the PR2 V2 as a band-aid.

Jun 9, 2023 at 3:28 AM Post #61,932 of 64,222
Just received my PR2, meshless v2. Initial first day impressions:

Yep, it's power hungry alright. With a normal motherboard chip Realtek ALC892, Windows 10 volume is sitting at 100/100 for something listenable. Everything sounds flat. Plug it into a Tempotec Sonata HD Pro, then it comes to life, at around 40/100 volume. The most surprising thing for me was that a Macbook Air M1 can absolutely drive this, at around 60% volume.

Bass is not basshead levels but really really enjoyable, you can feel the whole driver thumping and moving in your ears.
Details are really sharp, almost too sharp but wouldn't call it sibilant. Yet. Podcasts and audiobooks are really enjoyable because of this.
Separation is good but soundstage isn't as big as I thought it would be. Instrument separation is very clear but it's more of a "head sound".

Jun 9, 2023 at 3:36 AM Post #61,933 of 64,222
Let's say you get a decently coherent sounding v2 with no crazy imbalance. Can you EQ it to sound identical to v1 or does it introduce issues like sibilance or lost detail?

Have any Heyday, Timeless or s12 owners tried to EQ their PR2 to their targets, how close sounding does it get and what exactly would be the difference?

Jun 9, 2023 at 4:10 AM Post #61,934 of 64,222
Unfortunately my ear have little tolerance on the KZ first gen BA.

during 2~3 song audition as i looking for an upgrade/replacement as my ZS5 got ran over by a car when i drop it in a parking lot during new year party.

i pass on ZS6 as i found it too sibilant, its a crazy eargrater for me
C10 who are highly recommended by many including Crin at the time, have a bright, in your face, metalic, a bit piercing, treble that is a no for me.
BA10 have bad timing as i use single DD ATH-E40 at the time, the multidriver felt incoherent during short period of auditioning it. it felt like every driver screams on their own in disregard of the song harmony. i might get used to the sound and liking it if i tried it on longer session after brainburn.

I love ZS7 airy performance and good soundstage
ZS10pro have rather tighter presentation and easy on the ear shell but i still prefer the ZS7 sound.

I tried OG AS16 for 2~3 song at the time but i didn't even remember how it sounds.
all i remember is the shell is rather big and uncomfortable in my ear

then i was introduced to TFZ King and its deep rumbly textured bass that no KZ DD (at the time) have and well...
(haven't tried the C16 and ZSX as it was released when i was away on a on-site job.)
I agree with you about the ZS7. I think you may have a faulty BA10 as it uses the same BAs as the ZS7 (except the bass driver) and sounds similar in the mids and treble. The BA10's bass is more DD-like than many BAs but is tighter and faster than the DD in the ZS7.The ZS7, though, has superb sub bass. All this is my personal experience, of course!

Jun 9, 2023 at 5:18 AM Post #61,935 of 64,222
Anyone graphed PR2 v1 and v2 and tried replicate v1 by EQ'ing v2?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back