Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jul 11, 2022 at 7:11 AM Post #59,626 of 64,152
Jul 11, 2022 at 5:57 PM Post #59,627 of 64,152
The ESX arrived today. I told myself that I was done with KZ but somehow I got pulled back in...

Well, a better than average AE coupon plus a store coupon that brought the price down to $10.60 CAD/8.16 USD is probably the biggest reason why...

After a brief run listening to Anglagard's Hyrbis, the ESX are decent, plenty of bass without any bloat or bleed. Mids are recessed though. Now the treble, which is usually the reason why I never seem to reach for a KZ/CCA IEM except for the CA16 from time to time, is actually very smooth and controlled.

I don't think the ESX will replace the Chu as my beater pair, even with that crap cable and ear hooks, but compared to some of the more recent KZ buys like the ZEX Pro, this is one that I might come back to for a change of pace.

All that said, for a so called anniversary edition, the accessories are as K(z)rappy as usual. Tossing in some coin in the box does not make it special. A few dollars more and throw in one of their nicer blue or green upgrade cables or a case. I know KZ doesn't really know what premium accessories are - a black box and a hunk of metal? - but take a page from some of the competition. I don't like Spring Tips but I learned that because MoonDrop threw them in with the Chu for little or no mark up along with a pouch as a bonus.

Ok, rant over.

The KZ ESX, pretty decent.

Attachments

• PXL_20220711_115601213~2.jpg
    PXL_20220711_115601213~2.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20220711_115642654~2.jpg
    PXL_20220711_115642654~2.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20220711_172508505.jpg
    PXL_20220711_172508505.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
Jul 11, 2022 at 6:04 PM Post #59,628 of 64,152
The ESX arrived today. I told myself that I was done with KZ but somehow I got pulled back in...

Well, a better than average AE coupon plus a store coupon that brought the price down to $10.60 CAD/8.16 USD is probably the biggest reason why...

After a brief run listening to Anglagard's Hyrbis, the ESX are decent, plenty of bass without any bloat or bleed. Mids are recessed though. Now the treble, which is usually the reason why I never seem to reach for a KZ/CCA IEM except for the CA16 from time to time, is actually very smooth and controlled.

I don't think the ESX will replace the Chu as my beater pair, even with that crap cable and ear hooks, but compared to some of the more recent KZ buys like the ZEX Pro, this is one that I might come back to for a change of pace.

All that said, for a so called anniversary edition, the accessories are as K(z)rappy as usual. Tossing in some coin in the box does not make it special. A few dollars more and throw in one of their nicer blue or green upgrade cables or a case. I know KZ doesn't really know what premium accessories are - a black box and a hunk of metal? - but take a page from some of the competition. I don't like Spring Tips but I learned that because MoonDrop threw them in with the Chu for little or no mark up along with a pouch as a bonus.

Ok, rant over.

The KZ ESX, pretty decent.
Nice! I myself don't know it I'll ever continue getting new audio gear. I have to admit I was addicted to getting new gear and I do get the temptation to get the new KZ models. However, I think I should stop. I myself revisited the KZ ZS7 and got the medium SpinFit CP145 and I'm liking what I hear.

Sure, its fun to try new stuff, but I think I'll take some time enjoying what I currently have.

Enjoy your ESX. Glad to know they are decent 🙂.

Jul 11, 2022 at 6:06 PM Post #59,629 of 64,152
KZ and other brands (and reviewers of "free samples")

Recently, I had an opportunity to get Master & Dynamic ME05 from Amazon on a nice tip from a fellow HeadFi-er.
$8 in US, in Canada it was acceptable $12 - so why would not miss a chance to experience an IEM with the MRSP of whooping $200 and to compare with the recent single-dynamic KZ IEMs!

So here we are.

Pros: the package of ME05 is quite ample: case, tips, spare filters.
The tips are nice: four of themand while basic, the large one are really large (13.5-14 mm) and fitting me nicely, as well being my favourite large bores, so I was sure to experience all the bass and more open treble.
iEM look fairly elegant.
A decent dynamic driver.
Some sparkle and dynamucs are there, but a bit tubby/plasticksy.

Cons: non- replaceable noodle-like cable with unbearable (for any moves) microphonics; the case while nice is hardly any practical.
Can be OK for $10-$15, but hardly competitive at $25+ even with nice accessories, IMHO

The bottom line: compared to the current crop of KZ/CCA, (I largely did to a bit less treble-rich ESX as a more direct/fair comparison) ME05 is a notch below and is hardly competitive in about everything: timbre, dynamics, extension, stage; as it may be not unreasonable to expect for circa 2014 IEM, given all the recent amazing progress.

Now, my favourite/unfavourite part of the reviews of ME05 from those reviewers of "free samples" dating not from 2014/2015 but recent 2021! Those guys were getting "$200 free IEM" and surely shaped/biased their revews accordingly. I won't name them, one can easily google. Amazing to read how "worthy", "meritorious", nice" ME05 is in their opinion, while actually listening to them side by side with $20 KZs and chuckling sadly.

Not mentioning explicitly the horrible microphonics is a real shame if not a crime....

"The mass hysteria" to quote one of the most notorious HeadFi reviewer, the hysteria propagated by those reviewers... Really sad and decimating this hobby :frowning2:

Give all this "reviwer" bias, one can safely bet that ESX sent as a free $200-300 review sample will get all the glorious reviews, while ME05 sent as $10 KZ (and I personally would not pay more!) will get teared apart absolutely brutally!

I am sure the close-knit ChiFI village is already laughing quietly about it for quite some time now with different brands assembled in the same factory.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2022 at 8:00 PM Post #59,630 of 64,152
Nice! I myself don't know it I'll ever continue getting new audio gear. I have to admit I was addicted to getting new gear and I do get the temptation to get the new KZ models. However, I think I should stop. I myself revisited the KZ ZS7 and got the medium SpinFit CP145 and I'm liking what I hear.

Sure, its fun to try new stuff, but I think I'll take some time enjoying what I currently have.

Enjoy your ESX. Glad to know they are decent 🙂

Yeah, I really don't need the ESX, just like I didn't need the CCA CRA (paid $8 CAD) or the ZEX Pro. Sometimes the hype train is a nice ride, sometimes you get knocked onto the third rail by the hype train, sometimes you don't even bother going to the station. I plan on avoiding the station. At least for the next 4-6 months.

At this point, I feel like I'm more a MoonDrop fan. The Aria, SSP and Chu are my primary IEM's right now unless I can get a higher tier MoonDrop at the next 11-11 sale for an amazing price, like the Kato. I just find their tuning mindset more in line with my tastes.

Now if I could only get the Variations, Blessing 2 or S8 for $8....

Jul 11, 2022 at 10:54 PM Post #59,631 of 64,152
Yeah, I really don't need the ESX, just like I didn't need the CCA CRA (paid $8 CAD) or the ZEX Pro. Sometimes the hype train is a nice ride, sometimes you get knocked onto the third rail by the hype train, sometimes you don't even bother going to the station. I plan on avoiding the station. At least for the next 4-6 months.

At this point, I feel like I'm more a MoonDrop fan. The Aria, SSP and Chu are my primary IEM's right now unless I can get a higher tier MoonDrop at the next 11-11 sale for an amazing price, like the Kato. I just find their tuning mindset more in line with my tastes.

Now if I could only get the Variations, Blessing 2 or S8 for $8....
my music library is filled with half of pop-ballad and the other half is heavy rock.
OG Aria is sublime for the pop-ballad half. the lush holographic vocals, female vocals especially is awesome.
but for heavy rock music, it kinda lacking the oomph.

hence i look for iem for the other half as well as look for a beater that i could use while biking in the rain or something.
Eda-bal and esx is surprisingly close to great in that aspect, pretty decent for pop-ballad and (esx especially) good for heavy rock. Eespecially at the price.
but it kinda lack of the resolution a bit, but its not as jarring as Tanya who have chunky notes that good for rock but a fair bit muddy in resolution.

Recent Lyra review is pretty good. but it seems the second gen Xun Dynamic driver, while good it still carries its father penchant for boomy bass.

Jul 11, 2022 at 11:34 PM Post #59,632 of 64,152
my music library is filled with half of pop-ballad and the other half is heavy rock.
OG Aria is sublime for the pop-ballad half. the lush holographic vocals, female vocals especially is awesome.
but for heavy rock music, it kinda lacking the oomph.

hence i look for iem for the other half as well as look for a beater that i could use while biking in the rain or something.
Eda-bal and esx is surprisingly close to great in that aspect, pretty decent for pop-ballad and (esx especially) good for heavy rock. Eespecially at the price.
but it kinda lack of the resolution a bit, but its not as jarring as Tanya who have chunky notes that good for rock but a fair bit muddy in resolution.

Recent Lyra review is pretty good. but it seems the second gen Xun Dynamic driver, while good it still carries its father penchant for boomy bass.

Yeah, I get it.

After several hours and differing albums I think the ESX is pretty good for Rock and Metal. Male voices def sound better than females. Resolution is lacking somewhat, but there's enough there for an enjoyable listen as a beater/commuter pair.

I don't like the styling of the Lyra at all. I thought the EDX Ultra was ugly but the Lyra... I guess if you're going to toss out a new IEM every Tuesday you're going to run out of ideas for styling.

Jul 12, 2022 at 2:50 AM Post #59,633 of 64,152
I been out of the game for a awhile now so I was bored and ordered the az09 pro, zex and edx because they were cheap. I think my last KZ was the zs10 when they were released.

Any recommendation for $50? Maybe something bright and good on the vocals?

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2022 at 3:27 AM Post #59,634 of 64,152
I been out of the game for a awhile now so I was bored and ordered the az09 pro, zex and edx because they were cheap. I think my last KZ was the zs10 when they were released.

at $20, KZ EDA-balance. as the name imply it aim for more balanced tuning, have enough omph in bass as well as some mild sparkle in treble. vocal is pretty decent with enough weight and somewhat forward.
at $50 maybe HeartMirror, the default bright iem recommendation

Jul 12, 2022 at 5:07 AM Post #59,635 of 64,152

Up to 50 euros for me at the moment definitely Reecho OVA SG-01. Everything essential about them is summarized in the following thread.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/reecho-ova-sg-01.25823/reviews

I recommend them especially for vocal and acoustic music, but that's more or less only because of their well above average quality in this price range. Otherwise, they are basically very versatile.

Jul 12, 2022 at 6:02 AM Post #59,636 of 64,152
Up to 50 euros for me at the moment definitely Reecho OVA SG-01. Everything essential about them is summarized in the following thread.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/reecho-ova-sg-01.25823/reviews

I recommend them especially for vocal and acoustic music, but that's more or less only because of their well above average quality in this price range. Otherwise, they are basically very versatile.
Will these be compatible with the az09 pro? Trying to find something compatible for Bluetooth.

Jul 12, 2022 at 6:32 AM Post #59,637 of 64,152
Will these be compatible with the az09 pro? Trying to find something compatible for Bluetooth.
Unfortunately not, then you are left to choose something with a QDC connector. I'd recommend the TRN TA1 Max, which are great hybrids for 50 euros, but have a more emphasized bass section, but in a very sympathetic way, without bleeding into the mids. Combined with the KZ AZ09 pro it's a great rig for going out, even in noisier environments, thanks to the quality bass and the reserve given by the high sensitivity of the IEM. I have personally tested it, being the happy owner of both the BT adapter and the aforementioned IEMs. Following is a link to the TRN TA1 Max reviews so you can form a better opinion.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/trn-ta1-max-universal-in-ear-monitor.25854/reviews

Jul 12, 2022 at 6:53 AM Post #59,638 of 64,152
And I forgot to note that the TRN TA1 Max are equipped with higher quality internals and are, in my opinion, much more skillfully tuned than anything KZ/CCA's current offerings that I've had the pleasure of handling (ZEX, ZEXpro, CRA, CRA+, AST).

Jul 12, 2022 at 2:32 PM Post #59,639 of 64,152

As a fellow AZ09 Pro user, I'd say just ensure that your modules have some warranty coverage because I received two modules and both of them had a failure in left module where it slowly stopped charging and got frequently disconnected. I'm just sharing my experience just as a word of caution. Because my assumption is that it is a batch related issue but not sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back