Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Sep 29, 2020 at 3:35 PM Post #51,346 of 64,286
You will love 'em. I certainly do!

I just listened to this Brazilian Pop Rock song Recomeçar by Restart, a guilty pleasure of mine. I use this track as a treble test of sorts to gauge a headphone's ability to resolve treble detail and its tendency to harshness. Harsh headphones will grate your ears with the cymbals when they come in at 0:38. Dull headphones will mask the amp distortion of the electric guitars at the opening (0:07). These straddle that line perfectly without exaggeration or dulling at either point. Plus the bass and vocals come through like a hot knife through butter. I mean, I am dumbfounded how KZ pulls this off so well. And the bass and midrange is so intoxicating. Amazing! I am literally relistening to my whole library and a headphone or earphone has not done that for me in a great many years. These are on par with my Adams A7X studio monitors for detail, impact, and resolution. Man, oh, man... If anything, you guys seriously underhyped these.

And no, these are not just rock or pop earphones. Like I said earlier, these are complete, serving up the full aural picture. Listening to this orchestral work from the original Star Trek series is breathtaking. The precision of the tonality combined with the articulation of the macro and micro-dynamics are spot on. The hitting of the gong at 3:23 in this classic Star Trek soundtrack is fully rendered in all its horrifying splendor and makes the pent-up emotion for the moment of peril in this track absolutely spellbinding. I keep wanting to find things to trip up these ZAX's and they just keep pulling off more and more tricks with aplomb. Musical rediscovery and engagement is the main aim of high-fidelity listening equipment and the ZAX's keep doing this surprise after surprise and put a smile on my face.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2020 at 4:05 PM Post #51,348 of 64,286
Hello again fellows. Long time no see.

Is this ZAX another overhyped KZ? I've had my share of those.

Sep 29, 2020 at 4:19 PM Post #51,351 of 64,286
Sep 29, 2020 at 4:21 PM Post #51,352 of 64,286
Actually, that review seemed quite positive. The biggest complaint seems to be the packaging, cable, and tips. Big deal

It's positive enough, but calling it a sidestep and saying there's no point to buy this if you have any of: ZSX, CCA C16, CA16, ZS10 (which is pretty old now) is pouring a huge bucket of cold water over it's hype.

Plus, anyone who doesnt like Kz has to mention how good Tin Hifi is.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2020 at 4:29 PM Post #51,353 of 64,286
Kz eartips is bad?? He ever tried Blon yet?

Sep 29, 2020 at 4:31 PM Post #51,354 of 64,286
Hello again fellows. Long time no see.

Is this ZAX another overhyped KZ? I've had my share of those.
The hype has been real since zs7.

Sep 29, 2020 at 4:42 PM Post #51,355 of 64,286
Actually, that review seemed quite positive. The biggest complaint seems to be the packaging, cable, and tips. Big deal
I already have one of those green cables :ghost:

And yes it seems quite positive, but they also thing it's a sidestep.

Sep 29, 2020 at 4:44 PM Post #51,356 of 64,286
This site is always bitter about KZ:
https://www.audiophileon.com/news/kz-zax-review

Read their reviews if you want to save money.:upside_down:
This is what he wrote for the campfire ARA about their packaging: "The packaging is all cardboard, so you don't have to feel guilty about tossing some single-use plastics. Its an excellent unboxing experience with the starry night sleeve opening up like an exploding star to reveal the box containing the earphones."
And this is KZ: "Its the usual bottom of the barrel approach from KZ, a cheap cardboard box in which the earphones are well protected and the lowest quality accessories you could ever expect."
:sweat_smile:
Buying an overpriced IEM just because of their "brand" is wasting money imho, but people can do whatever they want with their own money.

Sep 29, 2020 at 4:47 PM Post #51,357 of 64,286
I already have one of those green cables :ghost:

And yes it seems quite positive, but they also thing it's a sidestep.
Yea please by the love of God don't buy the ZAX, buy 1964 TIA instead. :relieved:

Sep 29, 2020 at 4:50 PM Post #51,358 of 64,286
God, i wish these kind of Demos were actually useful:

These don't even sound remotely close to the real thing. They sound way better that what that recording. The only way is throwing down the cash.

And no, these aren't overhyped KZs. I have a set of overhyped KZ's from two years ago, one of their very early models (it was given to me by an eBayer as a gift and it came in a white flimsy cardboard box) that sounds absolutely atrocious. KZ has come a long way since then and these ZAX's are a real giant killer. They actually sound like open headphones to me which is really uncanny and amazing, to tell you the truth.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2020 at 5:22 PM Post #51,360 of 64,286
The updated impressions on ZAX are really getting me excited... Mine are on the way and I'm happy to hear the positive early reviews.. Of course "Resistance Was Futile" as I like most of my KZ (with a few exceptions) and purchase them for musical pleasure as opposed to critical listening.. Also a cheap collectables hobby alternative rather than collecting trumpets, keyboards , and PA sound equipment!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back