Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Sep 27, 2020 at 9:05 PM Post #51,316 of 64,286
There ya go...
1601243781588.png
30mah batteries in each side. All you need to know. Usually 55mah these day so you are powering the multiple drivers with a 45% smaller capacity. Engage the lower latency mode that uses more power and lucky to get two hours.

my bare minimum is 4 hours of continuous play, anything lower than that is a bit of a hassle..but the more important thing for me is a long standby/idle battery time of the unit, as i like to minimize the use of the case in daily scenario. most TWS that i keep can stand idle from the time i slept until morning when i wake up, and still maintain almost the same battery life, while some rare cases a few TWSs still burns battery even when idle.

Sep 27, 2020 at 9:29 PM Post #51,317 of 64,286
There ya go...
1601243781588.png
30mah batteries in each side. All you need to know. Usually 55mah these day so you are powering the multiple drivers with a 45% smaller capacity. Engage the lower latency mode that uses more power and lucky to get two hours.

That's pretty much the same as the KZ Z1 which only gave me 2 hours or so or use when brand new. Which I feel like I should probably mention this again, my KZ Z1 after about 4 months of use lasts only about 45 mins now. Batteries do degrade with usage, and it's a lot more drastic when it comes to TWS earbuds since they are in an almost fully charged state most of the time, and they are tiny, so they go through tons of cycles quickly. Not saying that the SA08 will be the same, but I would personally wait for reviews about battery life first. :joy:

Sep 27, 2020 at 9:32 PM Post #51,318 of 64,286
As long as the case could give 20 hour worth of battery, i don't need big ass 5+ hour battery in the IEM. my listening session usually not that long (week end as exception)
However, i do need at least 3 hour worth of battery in the IEM. Anything less will be major annoyance.

judge from batt capacity and no mentioned anything about batt / tech new announcement, i guess they are using similar batt /tech with older KZ TWS, that only last for 2.5 hours, barely 3 hours and decreasing with time. our friend @axhng 's z1 batt life is down to almost half an hour now after 3 months IIRC.
I won't buy any KZ TWS again yet, until they fix batt and tech issue (connection isnt cut off, but the connection strength is not as good as other TWS, crackles / artifacts if I move a bit far or just slight covered from source. And hissing too, and connection hiccups if batt run below 40% sometimes (not all the time)

Sep 27, 2020 at 10:30 PM Post #51,319 of 64,286
judge from batt capacity and no mentioned anything about batt / tech new announcement, i guess they are using similar batt /tech with older KZ TWS, that only last for 2.5 hours, barely 3 hours and decreasing with time. our friend @axhng 's z1 batt life is down to almost half an hour now after 3 months IIRC.
I won't buy any KZ TWS again yet, until they fix batt and tech issue (connection isnt cut off, but the connection strength is not as good as other TWS, crackles / artifacts if I move a bit far or just slight covered from source. And hissing too, and connection hiccups if batt run below 40% sometimes (not all the time)

This is bad.
One of the TWS golden standard, Sony WF-3, is 5+hours on-time.

Surely had KZ tried, they could at least get 3+ hour.

Sep 28, 2020 at 9:24 AM Post #51,321 of 64,286

To be honest when buying a new TWS, at least 5 hours playback on a single charge should be minimal. And there are plenty TWS sets under $50 that do 5+ hours. There are even some like the Alien Secret ‘Predator’ QCC010 that do 7hrs and are $25!

Sep 28, 2020 at 10:01 AM Post #51,322 of 64,286

Just try a bit harder. Look at these vs. The Soudpeats H1. Put less but better armatures in there plus better batteries. They have a Knowles plus a dynamic, 6 hour battery, same gaming/lower latency mode, similar style shape/fit, adding in Qi wireless, real Qualcomm chip and aptX, better mics, and starting price is gonna be $10 more. They have 35 hours total which should beat the KZ as well as having more controls as KZ seems to leave out volume control on the buds.

You can't be fooled by "more drivers" or think you are getting any kind of good deal with a KZ TWS.

Sep 28, 2020 at 10:59 AM Post #51,323 of 64,286
KZ needed to poach some engineers from the likes of Anker and other actually reputable Chinese TWS companies since yesterday and actually get their schiit together on this front, otherwise why they'd even bother putting out product after product is beyond me

Sep 28, 2020 at 12:57 PM Post #51,324 of 64,286
Now that the one-month honeymoon is over, how is everyone here liking their ZAX's? After reading completely through a few dozen pages of your reactions, I am feeling fairly confident that these will be a solid buy. Currently, I am the proud owner of ZS 10 Pro's that I like quite a bit in many respects, but I feel like I am missing a bit of detail (especially in the upper treble), naturalness (in the mids), and openness (in term of soundstaging). I hate warm earphones, and I believe brans like Westone and Shure give IEMs a bad name due to their IEM veil or treble drop-off. My IEMs prior to the ZS 10 Pro's have been many including Phonak, DUNU, and the FiiO, though not so many as the headphones I used to own or demoed, where I have tried every major audiophile brand and model of headphone besides Stax and Audeze. My all-time favorite IEMs were the FiiO EX1 2nd Gen but I ultimately never replaced since the cables are prone to fail requiring repeated replacement. I would say I love PRaT and detail and would call myself a treblehead. I just ordered a set of ZAX's on Amazon that are due to arrive tomorrow. In your guys' experience, will the ZAX's do the trick for me?

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2020 at 1:50 PM Post #51,325 of 64,286
To be honest when buying a new TWS, at least 5 hours playback on a single charge should be minimal. And there are plenty TWS sets under $50 that do 5+ hours. There are even some like the Alien Secret ‘Predator’ QCC010 that do 7hrs and are $25!

I ordered the Alien Secret a few days ago and i now feel like it was a dumb decision because it's a no-name "brand".
Hope i wont be disappointed.

Sep 28, 2020 at 2:10 PM Post #51,326 of 64,286
Now that the one-month honeymoon is over, how is everyone here liking their ZAX's? After reading completely through a few dozen pages of your reactions, I am feeling fairly confident that these will be a solid buy. Currently, I am the proud owner of ZS 10 Pro's that I like quite a bit in many respects, but I feel like I am missing a bit of detail (especially in the upper treble), naturalness (in the mids), and openness (in term of soundstaging). I hate warm earphones, and I believe brans like Westone and Shure give IEMs a bad name due to their IEM veil or treble drop-off. My IEMs prior to the ZS 10 Pro's have been many including Phonak, DUNU, and the FiiO, though not so many as the headphones I used to own or demoed, where I have tried every major audiophile brand and model of headphone besides Stax and Audeze. My all-time favorite IEMs were the FiiO EX1 2nd Gen but I ultimately never replaced since the cables are prone to fail requiring repeated replacement. I would say I love PRaT and detail and would call myself a treblehead. I just ordered a set of ZAX's on Amazon that are due to arrive tomorrow. In your guys' experience, will the ZAX's do the trick for me?
The zax is more detailed especially in the mid/vocal. The sound is more open and you can hear a longer decay on the cymbals.

Sep 28, 2020 at 3:20 PM Post #51,328 of 64,286
This is purely conjecture, for fun, b/c I’m hoping for a KZ that has a reasonably balanced tuning (non-V-shaped) with superb isolation, for an amazing budget stage monitor. I was thinking that the “pro” moniker on the ASF was perhaps due to it being designed for monitor use, and thus would have excellent isolation. Since it is all BA, I thought maybe it would be sealed/non-vented. Based on the photos/ads provided, the bass driver may need a vented shell.

0048B640-2E12-4269-972C-52E13C154E30.jpeg

If so, then based on the design of the IEMs, it seems that the ASX may have better isolation than the ASF. As you can see, the ASF drivers seem to fire into the space inside the shell, to which the nozzle is attached (like most KZs), unless the gray structure depicted is isolating the IEM nozzle and BA output from the back part of the shell. Therefore, any outside sound let in by a vent, would be able to communicate somewhat directly with the nozzle, letting you hear outside noise.
804AAE6F-2A76-460C-8930-EF9DAD276DCB.jpeg

The ASX clearly looks like a vented IEM, but as you can see, it is a tubed design (Are there any other tubed KZ IEMs?). Because of this design, any sound that enters the shell via vents doesn‘t communicate with the nozzle. The drivers communicate sound to the nozzle purely through the sound tubes. Thus, the ASX will probably be able to provide excellent isolation, especially with foam tips or multi-flange tips.
6B478A53-5C05-48FA-A6AA-A2383DEFF6C8.jpeg

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2020 at 3:26 PM Post #51,329 of 64,286
Hopefully, both IEMs will be able to provide excellent passive isolation though. This is probably the most excited/curious that I’ve ever been about a new KZ release.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back