Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Feb 16, 2018 at 12:59 AM Post #28,216 of 64,060
Funny how Chi-Fi works, it all starts with a single iem, KZ or otherwise..... Then down the rabbit hole we go:ksc75smile:

Thanks for the DAP suggestions, all these years and I have never had a proper digital player.

All the talk lately of the KZ EDR series have inspired me to place an order.

Feb 16, 2018 at 6:21 AM Post #28,218 of 64,060
Should I pull the trigger on the ZS6? Currently using the ZS5 v1. The metal casing is real tempting. Or should I hold out for the ZS10/ZSR Pro thing that's supposedly coming out this year?

The knee-jerk reaction is to answer with a resounding YES......but, the key point is whether or not you will enjoy the ZS6. If you have the ZS5(i) then you will find that it is quite dark when compared to the ZS6. If you have the ZS5(ii), which is nearly as bright as the ZS6 then you should have no issues with the ZS6 sound signature.

What Knowledge Zenith has fashioned with the ZS6 is an IEM that excels at everything which includes treble. If you are sensitive to treble energy then you may not enjoy the ZS6. That one caveat aside I highly recommend it because you really do get all you could possibly hope for in a sub-$50 IEM. Sub-bass, mid-bass and midrange are all much cleaner with more definition and impact.

The fact that you have the ZS5 means you know what to expect as far as comfort goes due to the geometric design of the housing. Spend a little time with the ZS5 and the ZS6 and a discerning ear will pick up that they are from the same family.

Blah....blah.....blah....

It's a fantastic IEM!

61M8hyQI-GL-1.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2018 at 6:33 AM Post #28,219 of 64,060
Wow, B9! Sounds very promising. I'm looking forward to getting mine and wish KZ would hurry up and release the other two colors (red & white) they promised.

You mentioned "I have ZSR now, it is amazing (vs ES3.. "

Would you mind elaborating? I have the ES3 and think it's a great KZ. What is it about the ZSR that puts it above the ES3?

With your comments and B9's comments (above) I feel like a crack addict.

I need.......I need. ...I neeeeed!

Thanks

Yes, i think ZSR is more clear, than ES3, which is also very good. sounds "higher quality" is the feel i get. both are good, thats why i have em. but ZSR is better in terms of everything sound wise, i think (will keep on testing)

Feb 16, 2018 at 6:34 AM Post #28,220 of 64,060
Feb 16, 2018 at 6:35 AM Post #28,221 of 64,060
I received my red ZS6 yersteday, I do hear immediatly how great it is (without any burn in).
I use a stock cable without mic for ZS3, odered on ebay L-R=0.6 G=0.8 ohms
(I have the KZ silver plated cable, L-R-G=0.4 but the trebles do not need to shine more)

On my dap with CS4398 dac, for me the sound is better than the excellent ZSR I have too.
First, the voices are not recessed at all, (voices are slightly distant on the ZSR) then the trebles are not agressive on my ZSR, but they are softer on my ZS6 (did I received the "ZS6-ll" ? as I have the "new box" on the right, see above p.1876)
I like the bass, they don't show off, they go strong and deep when needed, a bit different than on the ZSR.
There is a lot of differences off character of the sound, if you have good electronics.
I believe that with this level of quality, the player counts a lot.
Then yes, it looks very beautifull, but cause it is made off anodized aluminium, the color is a fragile layer, you have to care not to scratch it one on the other, or with any metalic object like the player or a metalic plug. I will carry outside rather the ZSR that is made off plastic.

KZ_ZS6_xduoo_X3.JPG
Thank you! i will try to find a deal on the ZS6 if i can, that was something around 20€
thanks for the reply

Feb 16, 2018 at 6:39 AM Post #28,222 of 64,060
Imo the ZS6 is a side grade. You trade sound stage, mid-range warmth/thickness, and a bit of overall coherence for improved layering, separation, imaging and more detail. ZS6 is a fair bit brighter too. I like them both quite a bit. My preference leans to the ZSR. Sounds a bit more mature and refined in it's tuning.

Thank you! perhaps i wont be getting the ZS6 that soon now, ill wait till i see a decent deal.
ill just use the ZSR for now. Thanks dude! very informative :D

Feb 16, 2018 at 8:42 AM Post #28,226 of 64,060
I bought one of these and cannot recommend it due to the loud pop/click between tracks

That might not be too bad for the sake of audio quality... It really depends on the amplitude of the popping/clicking noise and if they only happen when you press Forward/Back or when the track changes to the next on the playlist.

In my old days of CD player mods, I remember the audio community back then used to recommend the unsoldering of some filtering components from the PCB, some of them on, or parallel to, the signal path. I myself did it on my NAD CD player and the result was quite good regarding sonic "openness" (soooory the audiophyle adjective....) and microdynamics. The other side of the coin was when the CD player was powered up or down while the amp was turned on and with some volume on the pot, a loud pop would come out. And in actively changing tracks (but not when the CD came to the end of a track and passed to another one). I also remember auditioning for an expensive posh CD player (I think it was from Copland but cannot rememeber for sure, only thing I kept was that it costed around 3000 USD), and it clicked and popped all over the track changes... but boy, it delivered!!!

Well I don't really know if the mechanism of the noise is the same regarding the example I gave, but for sure those noises are not being filtered by the walnut's circuitry...

Feb 16, 2018 at 8:48 AM Post #28,227 of 64,060
I remember reading about super glue has something which can damage BAs and seeing how close the BAs are from the nozzle I wouldn't recommend that. (and that's why DIY IEMs builders use epoxy or UV glue over super glue).
I also don't like cyanoacrylate glue (super glue) when very small wires are involved. I guess it has to do with the volatile components that end up sticking around (that white hazy residue that appears all over the place when the glue dries up). The magnetic apparatus on a balanced armature or, let's say, on a small dynamic driver or even in a phono cartridge, are too fragile and too sensible to deal with that sort of volatile components that leave residue.

Feb 16, 2018 at 10:06 AM Post #28,228 of 64,060
That might not be too bad for the sake of audio quality... It really depends on the amplitude of the popping/clicking noise and if they only happen when you press Forward/Back or when the track changes to the next on the playlist.

In my old days of CD player mods, I remember the audio community back then used to recommend the unsoldering of some filtering components from the PCB, some of them on, or parallel to, the signal path. I myself did it on my NAD CD player and the result was quite good regarding sonic "openness" (soooory the audiophyle adjective....) and microdynamics. The other side of the coin was when the CD player was powered up or down while the amp was turned on and with some volume on the pot, a loud pop would come out. And in actively changing tracks (but not when the CD came to the end of a track and passed to another one). I also remember auditioning for an expensive posh CD player (I think it was from Copland but cannot rememeber for sure, only thing I kept was that it costed around 3000 USD), and it clicked and popped all over the track changes... but boy, it delivered!!!

Well I don't really know if the mechanism of the noise is the same regarding the example I gave, but for sure those noises are not being filtered by the walnut's circuitry...

I have no click issues

Feb 16, 2018 at 11:28 AM Post #28,230 of 64,060
Should I pull the trigger on the ZS6? Currently using the ZS5 v1. The metal casing is real tempting. Or should I hold out for the ZS10/ZSR Pro thing that's supposedly coming out this year?

IMHO The metal Bodied ZS6 puts them in another class altogether to the plastic molds, I do have the ZSR's coming to see how I like them compared to ZST/ZS5V1/ZS3/ATR and ZN1 Mini's:beerchug:

Red Metal.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back