Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Feb 15, 2018 at 11:28 AM Post #28,201 of 64,289
I worry the ZS6 would lose some if it's above-average technical ability by dropping one of the BAs. Not a hard and fast rule, but I have been finding that multi-driver earphones *usually* offer more impressive layering, separation, and imaging qualities, such as Brainwavz's B400.

100% agree. Last night I compared half a dozen IEMs, but when I got to the ZS6 I just couldn't stop grinning (involuntarily) because everything was just....right there. The layering, separation and imaging just puts it over the top because it's so engaging.

I know the ZSR housing with it's bulbous faceplate is going to have an impressive soundstage but I can't wait to hear the overall presentation. Just like the ZS6, I'll have to have one in every color offered.

Like I said..... CRACK!!!

My poor wallet. ...

Screenshot_2018-02-12-09-15-24.png

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2018 at 12:11 PM Post #28,204 of 64,289
I am really liking the Burson v5i in the Walnut F1 - only drawback, the battery wont fit in the box anymore as the v5i is considerably taller than the standard opamp. Sound is worth the hassle though for sure. I should have review notes posted next week on it.

Feb 15, 2018 at 12:51 PM Post #28,205 of 64,289
Last edited:
Feb 15, 2018 at 1:44 PM Post #28,206 of 64,289
OK, my Nutz:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/New...32727723202.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.Z0NkmL

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/New...32826447683.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.UU5HcZ

Darth Maul Mode:wink:

@DocHoliday , don't know what's up with that red and white ZSR photo but the orientation looks all off for the right unless the picture is reversed. The Right also looks to be upside down?

Yeah, I pulled it from KZ's pre-release promotional imagery. I'm hoping they look better in the flesh.

Feb 15, 2018 at 1:47 PM Post #28,207 of 64,289
Not much, they are pretty pedestrian when it comes to looks and controls, but for sound they are hard to beat.

Feb 15, 2018 at 3:37 PM Post #28,208 of 64,289
OK, my Nutz:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/New...32727723202.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.Z0NkmL

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/New...32826447683.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.UU5HcZ

Darth Maul Mode:wink:

@DocHoliday , don't know what's up with that red and white ZSR photo but the orientation looks all off for the right unless the picture is reversed. The Right also looks to be upside down?

I have been thinking about dumping the ipod touch for a dedicated DAP, and the more I read about the walnut, the more tempted I am to pull the trigger. I need something for work that has better sound and can take my mind off of work:scream: edit: (insert fleeting thought here) I also have a pair of Philips X2 that can probably use some DAP and AMP love.

I would like bluetooth, but sound IS what it's all about.:ksc75smile:

back on topic... KZ, I have been listening to ZSR, ZS6, and ES3's exclusively this week, one model each day, and a couple hours in the evening. My original thought this week was going to be modding my ZS6. Using some Bluetack, chicken that I am, taking a BA out of each ear, and giving them a days listen. Yesterday was ES3 day, today it's ZSR Thursday. I absolutely love the ES3 for my taste, which could be Jason Aldean one track, and London Philharmonic the next, followed by the Script. Listening to the ES3, I found myself wanting a bit more bottom , just a bit. Today the ZSR, is right on the mark, started off at 5:30 sounding a bit high pitchie, then with multiple cups of coffee driven ear burn in, I have to say it is certainly checking all the right boxes.. I am actually excited to park the iPod tonight, and plug into the MSI laptop, and hear what happens next.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2018 at 4:02 PM Post #28,209 of 64,289
I have been thinking about dumping the ipod touch for a dedicated DAP, and the more I read about the walnut, the more tempted I am to pull the trigger. I need something for work that has better sound and can take my mind off of work:scream: edit: (insert fleeting thought here) I also have a pair of Philips X2 that can probably use some DAP and AMP love.
I was interested in the Walnut offerings until I learned that they're display-less. I have no desire to go back to the days of carefully arranging files on a, full sized at the time, SD card so that they'd play in the correct order. I like having a big card full of all sorts of the musical styles that I like so I can pick what I'm feeling for at the time I'm using the player.

I know by not having a display the entire cost can be in the components that actually make sound and you don't need to increase the size of the battery to handle all the necessary power to feature a display. But from my first iPod with a mechanical wheel and whopping 5 Gb of storage I stopped listening to 'songs' and started listening to music. Listening to an entire album by an artist even if there isn't a coherent theme or if the entire album is just a single work in multiple pieces just seems to me to be a more enjoyable listening experience. Perhaps that's why the numerous attempts to make classical music 'accessible to the masses' by making single style collection albums never took off. It was never about listening to classical songs but was always about something a bit more. Perhaps that's why I like the YouTube concert videos so much of bands I like. Awful sound most often but to me at least very enjoyable for the presentation the gathering of the groups song into a single thing, that concert.

Feb 15, 2018 at 4:08 PM Post #28,210 of 64,289
I just love my Walnut stack @Strat Rider , like I said it has the most analog output of any of my portable devices. Sounds excellent with just about every iem I throw at it, the warmer your iem the more analog it sounds but don't confuse that statement because all my ear piercing (KZ's according to many, I not being the sensitive type according to wife:smirk:) love my ZST/ZS5/6 on it and hopefully ZSR as soon as GB can get them here. I always went for my Topping NX1S/C3 combo in the past but the Walnuts balanced just slay me, last album I played thru them was Neil at Massey Hall and I even think Pono Boy would be impressed:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

@bsoplinger has a point though, I don't hunt and pick tracks anyway, if I have it on a card I love it and just let my players run random!

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2018 at 5:02 PM Post #28,211 of 64,289
I just love my Walnut stack @Strat Rider , like I said it has the most analog output of any of my portable devices. Sounds excellent with just about every iem I throw at it, the warmer your iem the more analog it sounds but don't confuse that statement because all my ear piercing (KZ's according to many, I not being the sensitive type according to wife:smirk:) love my ZST/ZS5/6 on it and hopefully ZSR as soon as GB can get them here. I always went for my Topping NX1S/C3 combo in the past but the Walnuts balanced just slay me, last album I played thru them was Neil at Massey Hall and I even think Pono Boy would be impressed:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

@bsoplinger has a point though, I don't hunt and pick tracks anyway, if I have it on a card I love it and just let my players run random!
Neil Young Live at Massey Hall is phenomenal so dynamic and clear.

Feb 15, 2018 at 6:09 PM Post #28,212 of 64,289
Feb 15, 2018 at 6:19 PM Post #28,213 of 64,289
Massey Hall was completed in 1894 at a cost of $152,390.75

Feb 15, 2018 at 10:00 PM Post #28,214 of 64,289

I would like bluetooth, but sound IS what it's all about.:ksc75smile:

back on topic... KZ, I have been listening to ZSR, ZS6, and ES3's exclusively this week, one model each day, and a couple hours in the evening. My original thought this week was going to be modding my ZS6. Using some Bluetack, chicken that I am, taking a BA out of each ear, and giving them a days listen. Yesterday was ES3 day, today it's ZSR Thursday. I absolutely love the ES3 for my taste, which could be Jason Aldean one track, and London Philharmonic the next, followed by the Script. Listening to the ES3, I found myself wanting a bit more bottom , just a bit. Today the ZSR, is right on the mark, started off at 5:30 sounding a bit high pitchie, then with multiple cups of coffee driven ear burn in, I have to say it is certainly checking all the right boxes.. I am actually excited to park the iPod tonight, and plug into the MSI laptop, and hear what happens next.

Rumor has it that the ES3, which is advertised at 18ohms, if memory serves me right, is actually a 10ohm IEM, though I've not tested it. This may well effect how you hear it through a power-efficient player (iPod Touch). What I can tell you is that the ES3 scales really well and, from experience, that little bit of extra you're wanting in the bottom end comes through in spades without EQing one bit. I'd go you one better. The ES3 could satisfy a basshead with a bit of EQ applied.

20171129_135009.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2018 at 10:18 PM Post #28,215 of 64,289
I was interested in the Walnut offerings until I learned that they're display-less. I have no desire to go back to the days of carefully arranging files on a, full sized at the time, SD card so that they'd play in the correct order. I like having a big card full of all sorts of the musical styles that I like so I can pick what I'm feeling for at the time I'm using the player.

Walnut has a display enabled version called the V3. Pretty affordable too.
There are some complaints about its software but sound seems to be at least on par with the F1. Best is that you read up on those complaints first and see if you like them enough for the sound quality.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...8d5d-4431-ba1e-9a7c0390f2ef&priceBeautifyAB=0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back