Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Sep 14, 2015 at 1:51 PM Post #6,406 of 63,943

Just some thoughts: You use a highly DSP modded source so would be wise to also state that on your opinions about earphones, makes things easier to someone who didn't read your past coments.

ROCK didn't reach anything yet. Hype is very different from recognition. Not saying that they don't sound good or nothing. KZ's is around these forums for almost 2 years (first from the asian/chinese thread, now with it's own thread) so let's see if they will survive after 1 year +, making various releases with continuous improvement or fade away like many before them. 

I've just ordered the Zircon and listen about as pure as possible... a dvd\cd player as a transport to an external DAC into a dedicated hp amp so I'll post some comments on the sound on the ROCK thread.
I have an EQ but can't bring myself to cable it into the system. I will be using my Beresford Capella amp as it has a gain knob which is very useful when listening to IEM. 

Sep 14, 2015 at 2:03 PM Post #6,407 of 63,943
Screw you, German Deutsche Post Filiale (office) in my city!

Screenshot of the translated Chinese online tracking information of my ZN1:

When I found the notification card in my letterbox on Friday that told me to come the next day to pick up my delivery the next day, I was too jittery and went the same day.
The angry employee said that I was too early etc. but nevertheless gave gave me one bolstered letter and took the delivery card (it is always taken as proof of delivery) - the bad thing is, the lazy postman only wrote down that one letter arrived and what she gave me was the letter with the EDSE - seems like the ZN1 (and possibly whatever else) is still at the post office.

That will be fun going there tomorrow or the day after to explain them that the employee only handed over one letter - good thing I checked the tracking. But in the end, it was all due to my impatience.

Sep 14, 2015 at 4:52 PM Post #6,408 of 63,943
  So i just received the ZN1......

I don't care about the separate amp sections but please PLEASE release this as a standalone! Without the Eqbox. I'll buy it. As is it's better off recabled imo. Thankfully they let it run on passive mode..

Standalone probably won't sound as good. The EQ box is set up almost like a balanced connection, with a separate ground to each ear. The soundstage and black background is most likely because of that. Recabling to unbalanced might decrease the SQ.

Sep 14, 2015 at 10:24 PM Post #6,410 of 63,943
Got ZN1 today, thank you KZ for providing a review sample!  Unfortunately, my first impression is not so positive. 

Sound quality is great, very spacious dynamic sound, and it's nice to have a separate adjustable Treble and Bass controls.  Build quality is solid with thick cables, but amp/EQ box itself is rather bulky and feels weird to have a dongle the size of a small mp3 player as your "y-splitter" :)  The problem is that it ONLY works in passive mode with my smartphone.  I tried it with X5ii, X3ii, N6, N5, AP100, QA360 - it only work with a power on, while in passive mode you get this sound artifact when you use TRRS plug with old mp3 players or some older headphones with apple in-remote.  Pretty such ZN1 TRRS connector in passive mode is not compatible with any of my DAPs, and it doesn't even work in active mode with AK120ii.  With all other DAPs it works fine in active mode.

I guess the intention is to use it with a smartphone where it works in both passive and active modes.  I really like it in passive mode, actually, make it - I LOVE it in passive mode :)  No need to adjust any treble or bass, great by default.  The way I look at it, ZN1 is intended for use with a smartphone, but it's really bulky and uncomfortable.

Bottom line, I think it would be AWESOME if KZ can make ZN1 Light without amp/EQ - just a passive model.  Also curious if the current ZN1 model can be "re-wired" :wink:

Sep 14, 2015 at 10:24 PM Post #6,411 of 63,943

Standalone probably won't sound as good. The EQ box is set up almost like a balanced connection, with a separate ground to each ear. The soundstage and black background is most likely because of that. Recabling to unbalanced might decrease the SQ.

I doubt its balanced but the electronic box is just a Y splitter at the exit of amp stage(output).......and there wont be any fruitful result if there are no balanced sources used, discrete grounding ene-end that is.

Sep 14, 2015 at 10:42 PM Post #6,415 of 63,943
  Twister, try this adapter:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-5mm-Audio-OMTP-to-CTIA-CTIA-to-OMTP-Converter-Male-to-Female-Socket-Adapter-/361260009816?hash=item541cc64958

Are you able to use it with this adapter in passive mode from your DAPs?  I would be very curious, since I have a handful of similar adapters, and none of them work.  The one which used to do the trick all the time was HiFiMAN adapter with RE400B (balanced version of 400 which came with HM700, so you can used those balanced wired IEMs with a regular TRS socket), and it still doesn't work.  So, I'm curious which one would work.

Overall, sound is VERY good, very impressive expanded soundstage, but if I can drive it in passive mode from my Note 4 and get such an impressive results, I don't care about treble and bass adjustment and just want a regular pair of headphones with this sound signature!!!  They sound fantastic, just don't see a need for this massive dongle
biggrin.gif

Sep 14, 2015 at 10:49 PM Post #6,416 of 63,943

Are you able to use it with this adapter in passive mode from your DAPs?  I would be very curious, since I have a handful of similar adapters, and none of them work.  The one which used to do the trick all the time was HiFiMAN adapter with RE400B (balanced version of 400 which came with HM700, so you can used those balanced wired IEMs with a regular TRS socket), and it still doesn't work.  So, I'm curious which one would work.

Overall, sound is VERY good, very impressive expanded soundstage, but if I can drive it in passive mode from my Note 4 and get such an impressive results, I don't care about treble and bass adjustment and just want a regular pair of headphones with this sound signature!!!  They sound fantastic, just don't see a need for this massive dongle
biggrin.gif

I don't really have a DAP onhand to test.

Passive mode sounds great with pop, hip hop, and edm. DSP sounds best for metal, intricate rock so far.

Sep 14, 2015 at 10:57 PM Post #6,417 of 63,943

biggrin.gif

I don't really have a DAP onhand to test.

Passive mode sounds great with pop, hip hop, and edm. DSP sounds best for metal, intricate rock so far.

Thanks man!  Really appreciate your replies!  Tempted to order another adapter, but I'm not so sure it will "fix it".

@Hisoundfi or anybody else who got ZN1, were you successful in driving it in passive mode from a regular DAP?  If not, which adapter have you used for it?

Sep 14, 2015 at 11:02 PM Post #6,418 of 63,943
  Exactly what I demand.... I have decent hardware and I've carefully tuned everything to suit my taste, I don't really want another processing section. Release this and I'm sold!

I was also thinking since the source isn't balanced anyway, maybe it wont affect that much. The X3 has used a balanced plug before however.

Thanks man!  Really appreciate your replies!  Tempted to order another adapter, but I'm not so sure it will "fix it".

@Hisoundfi or anybody else who got ZN1, were you successful in driving it in passive mode from a regular DAP?  If not, which adapter have you used for it?

I managed to run it out of my E12DIY (which is physically basically the same as the regular E12) without issue. Didn't try to run it out of the X3 HO but I'll do that later.

Sep 14, 2015 at 11:09 PM Post #6,419 of 63,943

Quote:

I managed to run it out of my E12DIY (which is physically basically the same as the regular E12) without issue. Didn't try to run it out of the X3 HO but I'll do that later.

In passive mode (power off)?  I just tried it with E12A and Q1, doesn't work with power off :frowning2:

Sep 14, 2015 at 11:22 PM Post #6,420 of 63,943

In passive mode (power off)?  I just tried it with E12A and Q1, doesn't work with power off :frowning2:

?? That's really weird. I could just switch it on and off while music was playing even. Anybody else with this issue? After testing with the X3 HO at least we'll know if the E12DIY is just special or if this particular ZN1 is weird. Either way a standalone would be fantastic. Preferably with the Y-splitter and integrated cinch from the ANV. @Horton 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back