Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Oct 1, 2018 at 1:42 PM Post #36,706 of 64,289
Not necessarily. The $20 dynamic drivered BlitzWolf ES1 is extremely flat with nothing more than a few simple mods.

Ask @groucho69 or @Otto Motor how they like theirs.

The issue isn’t cost or difficulty. It’s that only an extremely small segment of people want flat tuning.

Imagine you are going to make a new IEM. You want to sell as many as possible because more units=lower scaled cost and more sales=more profit.

I have a choice.

1. I could make a popular v shaped tune and sell 5000 units. In the past I’ve done v shaped models, and they all sell out.
2. I could make a flat tune.

So let’s say I go with the flat tune.

Well, the 1st 100 units out the door to typical reviewers end up getting get flamed on social media and YouTube reviews because they “have no bass”. So your sales halt.

Eventually, a handful of HeadFi type people go ahead and are willing to be guinea pigs. Low and behold they find out it’s a hidden gem for flat tuning. So they spread the word.

Well, only a certain % of audiophiles want flat tuning. But let’s say 500 people buy it. Wow that’s a lot! Well, not to the company, because they have 4400 boat anchors sitting in a warehouse gathering dust.

Now you’re the earphone company again. You want to come out with a 2nd IEM. The flat tuning model was not a great seller as you only sold a fraction of the supply. But the v shape always sells out.

Which would you develop?

See the problem?

Well, obviously this will be the case for companies that only turn a profit using the economy of scale (such as pretty much all Chi-Fi companies). You can see western brands pulling off successful "neutral/flat" IEMs because they sell them in limited production runs and with a large margin of profit per unit. See the Massdrop x Nuforce EDC and EDC3 as some examples.

Oct 1, 2018 at 2:04 PM Post #36,707 of 64,289
Well, obviously this will be the case for companies that only turn a profit using the economy of scale (such as pretty much all Chi-Fi companies). You can see western brands pulling off successful "neutral/flat" IEMs because they sell them in limited production runs and with a large margin of profit per unit. See the Massdrop x Nuforce EDC and EDC3 as some examples.

Yeah, I was referring to ChiFi.

Oct 1, 2018 at 3:13 PM Post #36,710 of 64,289
It'd be interesting to see the sales numbers of the T2/T2 Pro (flatter/neutral) vs a comparable KZ (v-shaped) (AS10? ZS6?).

The T2 Pro sold 586 units on the Massdrop presale, not a lot in the grand scheme of things, but that's a good amount for a massdrop drop.

Oct 1, 2018 at 3:47 PM Post #36,711 of 64,289
Not necessarily. The $20 dynamic drivered BlitzWolf ES1 is extremely flat with nothing more than a few simple mods.

Ask @groucho69 or @Otto Motor how they like theirs.

The issue isn’t cost or difficulty. It’s that only an extremely small segment of people want flat tuning.

Imagine you are going to make a new IEM. You want to sell as many as possible because more units=lower scaled cost and more sales=more profit.

I have a choice.

1. I could make a popular v shaped tune and sell 5000 units. In the past I’ve done v shaped models, and they all sell out.
2. I could make a flat tune.

So let’s say I go with the flat tune.

Well, the 1st 100 units out the door to typical reviewers end up getting get flamed on social media and YouTube reviews because they “have no bass”. So your sales halt.

Eventually, a handful of HeadFi type people go ahead and are willing to be guinea pigs. Low and behold they find out it’s a hidden gem for flat tuning. So they spread the word.

Well, only a certain % of audiophiles want flat tuning. But let’s say 500 people buy it. Wow that’s a lot! Well, not to the company, because they have 4400 boat anchors sitting in a warehouse gathering dust.

Now you’re the earphone company again. You want to come out with a 2nd IEM. The flat tuning model was not a great seller as you only sold a fraction of the supply. But the v shape always sells out.

Which would you develop?

See the problem?

BlitzWolf ES1 are amazing at any price IMHO.

Oct 1, 2018 at 5:19 PM Post #36,712 of 64,289
Looks like TRN have released some more aftermarket cables which are definitely more premium looking. They also come in 2 pin 0.75 and 0.78 sizes.

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pr...l?spm=2114.12010611.8148356.45.73d26a7bPUxLN8

TRN 1.png

TRN 2.png

Oct 1, 2018 at 5:49 PM Post #36,713 of 64,289
Just ordered a Red KZ ZS6 pair from amazon, i paid them 10 euros more than aliexpress but at least i can try them and then i can ship them back if they are not for me, so what i pay is the freedom of chosing, like someone said me here.

Now i'm just curious about a thing. The earphones will come on Wednesday so 2 more days.
Could please someone tell me how do they imagine the ZSA vs ZS6 in short terms? Do u think the ZS6 is a huge step up from the ZSA and are they that different?
I don't own the ZSA but maybe listening to the zs6 when it comes to me, i will make my self an idea about how the ZSA sounds in comparison.

Oct 1, 2018 at 7:06 PM Post #36,714 of 64,289
Looks like TRN have released some more aftermarket cables which are definitely more premium looking. They also come in 2 pin 0.75 and 0.78 sizes.

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pr...l?spm=2114.12010611.8148356.45.73d26a7bPUxLN8

first 8core cables below $11! and 0.75/0.78mm choice is welcome.
i've tried some 8core cables and there are big differences in total thickness, and quality of materials (wire, plugs and solders). my favs under $30 are the newest at nicehck, number 53 (brown copper version) in my list, which arrived today, and number 52 (silver plated version). my list.

Just ordered a Red KZ ZS6 pair from amazon, i paid them 10 euros more than aliexpress but at least i can try them and then i can ship them back if they are not for me, so what i pay is the freedom of chosing, like someone said me here.

Now i'm just curious about a thing. The earphones will come on Wednesday so 2 more days.
Could please someone tell me how do they imagine the ZSA vs ZS6 in short terms? Do u think the ZS6 is a huge step up from the ZSA and are they that different?
I don't own the ZSA but maybe listening to the zs6 when it comes to me, i will make my self an idea about how the ZSA sounds in comparison.
yes zs6 is a huge step up from zsa, despite of the treble peak (easily eq'ed, if needed), in terms of resolution, details, separation, and treble extension. but zsa is ok, tiny cute, and no need of eq at all (although some may want to tame mid-bass a bit).

Oct 1, 2018 at 8:59 PM Post #36,715 of 64,289
Now i'm just curious about a thing. The earphones will come on Wednesday so 2 more days. Could please someone tell me how do they imagine the ZSA vs ZS6 in short terms? Do u think the ZS6 is a huge step up from the ZSA and are they that different? I don't own the ZSA but maybe listening to the zs6 when it comes to me, i will make my self an idea about how the ZSA sounds in comparison.

ZSA has better timbre than the ZS6. But to my ears it sounds even more v-shaped. The mids are a little better with the ZS6. The soundstage of the ZS6 is wider. Depth feels similar. The ZSA satisfied my curiosity but I'll probably be giving it away and keep the ZS6.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2018 at 9:20 PM Post #36,716 of 64,289
Oct 1, 2018 at 10:56 PM Post #36,717 of 64,289

Looks like the former KZ staff (TRN) have beat KZ to the punch. The black CNC aluminum splitter and jack cover would compliment the black ZS6 quite nicely......and it's 8-core instead of the cheaper 4-core.

HTB17MGBdwTqK1RjSZPhq6xfOFXaK.jpg_640x640q90.jpg

HTB1L5zkXfjsK1Rjy1Xaq6zispXaa.jpg_640x640q90.jpg

HTB1yvWQdEUIL1JjSZFrq6z3xFXaJ.jpg_640x640q90.jpg

HTB1Ag6iXe6sK1RjSsrbq6xbDXXas.jpg_640x640q90.jpg

I still shake my head every time I see this:

HTB1PvQGbMsSMeJjSspdq6xZ4pXaT.jpg_640x640q90.jpg

It would have been nice if KZ had released something equivalent a year ago......WITH the release of the ZS6. If TRN can release an 8-core at $10.49 then is it simply a lack of vision or a lack of focus at KZ?

Glad to see the folks at TRN pushing the envelope on affordable "in-house" gear.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2018 at 12:50 AM Post #36,718 of 64,289

Users who are viewing this thread

Back