Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Sep 3, 2018 at 2:34 PM Post #36,061 of 64,254
This is mine. I only buy cables with no mic and I choose the no mic option when there is one. I don't need one.

This one is MMCX. I just posted the photo to show how nice my OKCSC cable is:)

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/OKC...stal-Plated-Copper-for-Shure/32830043484.html

Do you have a link to your two pin one?
I just keep the unit with a mic in case I get phone calls while on the road. First world problems, but I get tired of holding a handset to my ear after about a minute.

For the 7N 2-pin model:
https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32857...QVf&aff_short_key=VnYZvQVf&aff_platform=msite

Sep 3, 2018 at 2:39 PM Post #36,062 of 64,254
I just keep the unit with a mic in case I get phone calls while on the road. First world problems, but I get tired of holding a handset to my ear after about a minute.

I have no desire to carry a phone:) I use DAPs with my iems and buds...and some of my headphones. So I really meant it when I said I have no need for a mic... or any kind of remote as I listen to whole albums.

Sep 3, 2018 at 2:46 PM Post #36,063 of 64,254
I have no desire to carry a phone:) I use DAPs with my iems and buds...and some of my headphones. So I really meant it when I said I have no need for a mic... or any kind of remote as I listen to whole albums.
Don't get me wrong; I do 90% of my listening on the A45 or M0 and I'm definitely an album listener, but it's nice to have the option.

Sep 3, 2018 at 2:51 PM Post #36,064 of 64,254
Don't get me wrong; I do 90% of my listening on the A45 or M0 and I'm definitely an album listener, but it's nice to have the option.

There was a time when I would listen to entire albums and would even find nuggets that often went under the radar. I used to read so many blogs and music sites to find new musi ...Now I just find all of that work and listen to playlists. After a long time I did listen to an entire album, Greta Van Fleet. I thoroughly enjoyed it! :)

Sep 3, 2018 at 2:55 PM Post #36,065 of 64,254
There was a time when I would listen to entire albums and would even find nuggets that often went under the radar. I used to read so many blogs and music sites to find new musi ...Now I just find all of that work and listen to playlists. After a long time I did listen to an entire album, Greta Van Fleet. I thoroughly enjoyed it! :)
Wait until you find out that some albums have hidden first tracks...This is why I have to re-rip my entire collection now.

Nothing wrong with playlists, either. It's nice to have the ability to sequence to your preferences, too. That's half the fun of playlisting; a modern-day mixtape.

Sep 3, 2018 at 3:01 PM Post #36,066 of 64,254

For most people. I am just weird. I do not own a smartphone which probably surprises people if they see how much electronics I do have. If I did have one I would not answer it anyway. Why do we have to be available every second of the day?. Getting way off topic now.

Speaking of options, I wish we could always choose between a straight or an angled plug. I would always choose straight if I had the choice. My best DAPs have an OTG function which I do use to expand my music storage. An angled plug gets in the way.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2018 at 3:03 PM Post #36,067 of 64,254
Is there any recommendation for true heavy metal iem's? I think the ibasso it01 is quite there, maybe any other has a rec. Thinking about the dmg for quite a while now cause of the good rec of Hawaiian bad boy. Love his reviews...

Sep 3, 2018 at 3:03 PM Post #36,068 of 64,254
Speaking of options, I wish we could always choose between a straight or an angled plug. I would always choose straight if I had the choice. My best DAPs have an OTG function which I do use to expand my music storage. An angled plug gets in the way.
I 100% agree with this; those slim 1/8" connections are a total boon. Seems like every right-angle plug gets in my way more than it helps.

And don't feel like you have to explain not having a smartphone; if I didn't need one for work, I probably wouldn't have one, either. Too much or a distraction

Sep 3, 2018 at 3:06 PM Post #36,069 of 64,254
Speaking of options, I wish we could always choose between a straight or an angled plug. I would always choose straight if I had the choice.

I love the Sennheiser plug as used on some headphones (such as the Momentum). It is hinged, and can be made straight or 90 degrees (or any angle in between).

Here’s what it looks like in both configurations:
26801E7F-43D5-480F-AB57-F5FD55CEC5CD.jpeg

You can buy the adjustable Sennheiser end on Aliexpress by itself, so it can be adapted to any cable or IEM. Or, you can just buy and solder on whatever kind of ends you want (straight, 90, etc).

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2018 at 3:11 PM Post #36,070 of 64,254
Man, all of this cable talk reminded me that I still have not tried my ZSA with my Audeze iSine Cypher V1 cable! On my ZS6, the Cypher cable just sounded too much like Beats, even with 150-hour-burn-in. On my ZSA, the Cypher cable sounds absolutely brah-mazing! Okay, back to my music, but thanks for reminding me, folks!:sunglasses::thinking::sunglasses:

Sep 3, 2018 at 3:45 PM Post #36,071 of 64,254
I've as well found Harman to sound best. Rtings.com seem to also use Harman for their compensated graphs. And Spectral Flatness test at audiocheck.net has a description of human ears having 1-3kHz sensitivity increase (the author has a PhD in field and is obviously obsessed with the topic, therefore I guess he's right), so that test also fits somewhat well with Harman graphs. Plus there's the fact that as the volume decreases, we perceive bass and treble decrease as more severe than the decreases of other frequencies (but also vice versa, increased volume yields more severe bass and treble increases), so having these frequencies bumped theoretically allows one to listen at lower volumes and still hear one's preferred signature. You can see how that looks for lots of headphones and IEMs at Reference Audio Analyzer - it's the second graph of every test report.

Since most graphs are raw (Audiobudget, ThePhonograph, crinacle's, Reference Audio Analyzer), I usually look for either graphs resembling Harman graphs (like that of Fiio F9 Pro), or ones with the least amount of sharp peaks and drops, so as to ensure that it's possible to fix the signature with as simple an equalizer as possible (Stuff like a 20dB drop at 4kHz, such as that of KZ ZSR, is a no-no, as far as I'm concerned. How is one to fix that on a smartphone player?).

Hence my opinion is that it's a good idea to make such graphs, thanks, antdroid.

Thanks for the feedback. If I continue to write any future reviews, I'll probably start putting this type of comparison graph in. I think it does help. For me personally, I prefer something in-between the two target curves, and have made my own target curve in-between both of them that I am still continuing to work on based on listening to several different headphones and messing with EQ. It's interesting that KZ newer IEMs actually fall close in-line with harman target in my measurements. I can't say I prefer it over the T2 though, which is closer to the old standard.

On a diff topic - still hoping to hear more about the BA10 when that comes out and what sound that'll produce. It seems like KZ is actually improving over-time to me, as a new company should over-time.

Sep 3, 2018 at 3:47 PM Post #36,072 of 64,254
Man, all of this cable talk reminded me that I still have not tried my ZSA with my Audeze iSine Cypher V1 cable! On my ZS6, the Cypher cable just sounded too much like Beats, even with 150-hour-burn-in. On my ZSA, the Cypher cable sounds absolutely brah-mazing! Okay, back to my music, but thanks for reminding me, folks!:sunglasses::thinking::sunglasses:

Have you played with EQ settings with Cipher Apple app + KZ iems? that's a pretty slick way to get EQ on iOS devices. :)

All this talk of cables -- I actually prefer no memory wire at all, even for over-ear style. I like using soft-braided cables and just wear them over-ears without the memory wires. It makes it easier to adjust, if needed, and roll-up and store away for me.

Sep 3, 2018 at 3:51 PM Post #36,073 of 64,254
I love the Sennheiser plug as used on some headphones (such as the Momentum). It is hinged, and can be made straight or 90 degrees (or any angle in between).

Here’s what it looks like in both configurations:

You can buy the adjustable Sennheiser end on Aliexpress by itself, so it can be adapted to any cable or IEM. Or, you can just buy and solder on whatever kind of ends you want (straight, 90, etc).
I never completely understood the point of angled plug. Is it for stability of the jack itself so that it doesn't bend with force if something were to hit it or the device dropped on the plug?

I didn't understand what the benefits were as I preferred the straight one for the reason of it fitting it my pocket better. When I started using angled plugs, it felt awkward with the cable not facing up when putting it in my pocket. And then finally I banged a straight connector plug, which got bent, and realized the possible reason for angled plugs. LOL. This happened once over a couple decades, but it may happen more to somebody or another (it's all about how you handle stuff and chance).

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2018 at 6:40 PM Post #36,074 of 64,254
Have you played with EQ settings with Cipher Apple app + KZ iems? that's a pretty slick way to get EQ on iOS devices. :)

I just used it and it does sound even better, just wish the EQ was more than 10 bands. Oh well, I will check graphs later. I think the BA driver in the ZSA is mid-high, as vocals still shine with or without EQ.

Sep 3, 2018 at 7:00 PM Post #36,075 of 64,254
I never completely understood the point of angled plug. Is it for stability of the jack itself so that it doesn't bend with force if something were to hit it or the device dropped on the plug?

I didn't understand what the benefits were as I preferred the straight one for the reason of it fitting it my pocket better. When I started using angled plugs, it felt awkward with the cable not facing up when putting it in my pocket. And then finally I banged a straight connector plug, which got bent, and realized the possible reason for angled plugs. LOL. This happened once over a couple decades, but it may happen more to somebody or another (it's all about how you handle stuff and chance).

It’s great when using with a laptop for example. Makes the cable much more compact where it comes out of the jack.

It depends a lot on the device. On some devices straight plugs get in the way and an angled ones work better. And other devices it’s the other way around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back