Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jan 19, 2018 at 4:43 PM Post #27,076 of 64,257
@Slater As a side note, .78mm is certainly the more common of the two.

For non-KZ stuff, yes. For KZ stuff, no.

I always figured KZ went with the obscure 0.75mm pin size because they knew they were going to start producing a line of their own upgrade cables. I mean, most of us now have a handful of KZ upgrade cables (which at the time were only available FROM KZ).

Just like Apple iPhone Lightning vs Micro USB connectors, Macbook magnetic A/C plug vs DC barrel tips, Gillette razor cartridges not fitting Schick razors, or HP print cartridges not fitting Canon printers. Proprietary (or should I say obscure) = near monopoly (or at least 3rd party clones start showing up).

Or are you saying that I have the 2 pin sizes mixed up?

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2018 at 5:41 PM Post #27,078 of 64,257
I'm just saying there is a huge amount of .78mm cable options vs the more limited supply of .75mm due to that size being used by KZ, Rose Tech & a handful of others.
The KZ .75mm fit my ancient UE single BA Ultimate Ears IEM from the pre-Logitech era.
Fit pretty snugly, too.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2018 at 9:33 PM Post #27,082 of 64,257
e3eaa2d4-7f9f-4191-931c-14462a55154f
e3eaa2d4-7f9f-4191-931c-14462a55154f
6XmwFYe.jpg

Lol this is my second pair of ED9 since my first one broke, I just couldn't live without it. Upon unboxing it, I just realized that the foam packaging as seen in the picture could be used as foam filters. So I cut off super tiny pieces of foam and tried sticking it into the BA nozzles of the ZS6 with a needle and see if there is any difference with the sound. Unfortunately the treble is still as piercing as before :frowning2:

I also tried putting some of that foam into my Swing IE800 and WOW it drastically reduced that super sharp treble while drastically bringing up the bass! The Swing was one of my least favorite IEMs, but after this mod it is the perfect IEM for listening to EDM! Unfortunately, I ran into a bit of an accident while modding and ruined the driver of the left ear (needle went too far into the housing) :frowning2:

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2018 at 11:49 PM Post #27,083 of 64,257
98% of KZ stuff is 0.75mm.

There is ONE, count it ONE KZ IEM with 0.78mm - the original run of the ZS3.

If you buy 3rd party or stock 2-pin upgrade cables for anything KZ, it's almost certain that you'll want/need/receive 0.75mm cables.

You CAN buy 0.78mm 3rd party cables (not made for KZ), but they will permanently stretch out the KZ IEM pins. This may seem like an OK idea and it technically will work, but be aware that once the pins stretch out you'll never be able to go back to 0.75mm cables again (ie you'll always have to stick with 0.78mm 3rd party cables).
Thanks @Slater, I somehow knew you had this info.
The reason I was concerned, i have a zs5 v1, and was wondering if I may have inadvertently forced a. 0.78 pin into a 0.75 socket. The only BT cable I tried had the angled connector, and now the right earpiece is loose when I use the silver cable.

Since then, I have contracted the need.... The need for KZ.
I ordered 2 more BT cables (flash sales get me every time) and they also have the angled connector.

I recently bought ES3, ZST, ZS5 v2, ZS6, and patiently awaiting ZSR.

I actually like this BT at work, I am usually at my work bench testing components, but without notice will be called to the manufacturing floor, and crawling around and underneath equipment. So shortness of the cables makes sense.

Love my job, but I don't let anything come between me and my music. :)

Jan 19, 2018 at 11:56 PM Post #27,084 of 64,257
The KZ .75mm fit my ancient UE single BA Ultimate Ears IEM from the pre-Logitech era.
Fit pretty snugly, too.
This is good to know. I have a pair of Ue Superfi 5's, and the reason I quit using them was a broken cable and refusing to pay, (even then pre Logitech , prices) from Ultimate ears.

Jan 20, 2018 at 12:27 AM Post #27,085 of 64,257
So I cut off super tiny pieces of foam and tried sticking it into the BA nozzles of the ZS6 with a needle and see if there is any difference with the sound. Unfortunately the treble is still as piercing as before :frowning2:

Imo adding resistance is the better way to go with the ZS6 - either by using an adapter or by soldering the resistors directly into the cable.

Jan 20, 2018 at 1:18 AM Post #27,086 of 64,257

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2018 at 1:19 AM Post #27,087 of 64,257
There's a flash sale on KZ earphones on Gearbest at the moment.
Where should my money go on my first pair(s)?
I say get an ES3 and a ZS5 and a pack of new bee foams and stop following this thread.

Jan 20, 2018 at 6:28 AM Post #27,090 of 64,257
zs4 and zs10 is still pending and there has been no update about it yet. Because the Chinese New Year festive season is near so all new product production will be arranged to a later date while now they're focusing on ZSR and existing product lineup before going for the long CNY holiday. Probably some update about their progress will be expected after the new year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back